Favorite New Attraction of Fantasyland Expansion

dxwwf3

We can only dream about how incredible Imagination would have been with Pooh's Hunny Hunt ride vehicles, or how convincing Horizons would have been with the latest AAs and HD projections. :(

EPCOT Center had its own Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean and they threw them away. At least with Mission Space they came up with an original concept and cutting edge technology. Even though I think M:S severely lacks in the thrill department 9I think they go way overboard on the warnings, but I guess they have to), it's still a great attraction. And while I can/could enjoy aspects of both JII replacements, it's a travesty what has happened to that pavilion.

RadioHead

Horizons and Imagination rides remain the golden standards of total immersion. Ride technology has improved since then, but those two attractions combined everything—AAs, screens, lavish detail, special effects, and the most cutting-edge tech available—to create unprecedented ride experiences.

We can only dream about how incredible Imagination would have been with Pooh's Hunny Hunt ride vehicles, or how convincing Horizons would have been with the latest AAs and HD projections. :(

Would have been? I thought there were concepts for right NOW for the JII refurb?

Disney05

I'm looking forward to the detail of the whole thing. There is not just one thing I'm looking forward to see. I can't wait to experience the atmosphere and the setting of a new land.

Lee

Adventurer
Isn't an experience an attraction?

This is much more than a

step 1: wait
step 2: stand next to cinderella
step 3: picture
step 4: exit

No matter how you dress it up.
Call it an enhanced experience, then.
Still not an attraction.

Mr. Morrow

Isn't an experience an attraction?

This is much more than a

step 1: wait
step 2: stand next to cinderella
step 3: picture
step 4: exit

No matter how you dress it up.

Call it what ever you want like I said before IMO a M&G is a M&G no matter how much you dress it up. They are building a set for Donald in EC do you consider that an attraction?

It is the same thing that Universal is doing claiming they have a whole new land when in reality they have onevnew ride and two rethemed ones.

DisneyDellsDude

I'm looking forward to the detail of the whole thing. There is not just one thing I'm looking forward to see. I can't wait to experience the atmosphere and the setting of a new land.

Bingo! That is what this refurbishment is about; Setting and Atmosphere. It will be fixing the problems of Fantasyland. (Including the extremely long lines for Dumbo that we all know most sane beings do not enjoy :lol:) Plus, we'll be getting rid of our horribly bad Toontown. IMO, that is currently the worst part of the Magic Kingdom.

Neverland

Plus, we'll be getting rid of our horribly bad Toontown. IMO, that is currently the worst part of the Magic Kingdom.

Yesterday, a guest asked me what rides there were in Toontown... I told her that Goofy's Barnstormer, a kiddy coaster, was the only ride there, not including the train. And then the only other thing is all the meet and greets. She just said "... That's IT? There's really nothing else?" :lookaroun (Although, in Fantasyland Forest, that's also all there'll be. But at least it'll have the rest of Fantasyland to back it up...)

misterID

I watched Princess and The Frog for the first time yesterday and I think they made a big mistake not including this in the FL expansion. I think it could even be its own land.

The first thing I thought of when watching was, "man, this would make a killer ride."

JROK

Expedition: Everest?

There was nothing new about Everest except a great AA that you see for 0.23 seconds as you zoom by it, and most of the time it isn't even working. People complain about Revenge of the Mummy always having a broken Mummy AA, but I think the Yeti sees more downtime.

Other than the mountain and the queue (even that's up for debate), Mummy > Everest. However, they both suffer from weak endings.

If they stand the test of time and are the most popular rides in theme park history, those style rides have done something right. People who know nothing about theme parks know about POTC, HM, IASW. You can throw Space Mountain in the mix too, but AA heavy rides have kept people coming back again and again.

I absolutely love the more thrilling attractions and I also love when new technologies are introduced with them. But completely stopping AA heavy rides similar in style to HM and POTC is a flat out mistake.

I'm not denying the historical value of POTC or HM, I'm just saying that they need to take those sorts of rides to new levels if they want it to work with a modern audience. Don't quit AA heavy attractions, just take them someplace we've never seen before. I think people enjoy POTC and HM because their mom enjoyed them and their grandma enjoyed them and so did their great grandma or whatever. They're a rite of passage or something, but that won't make Ariel's attraction a rite of passage or garner it any historical value. Sure it'll look colorful, have catchy songs we've already heard, but they won't win any awards for it. They're getting lazy and need to be inventive again.

I want to see a darkride from Disney that makes me go, "HOLY CRAP!" the same way I did for Spidey and Potter. I want them to wow me, and doing refurbs and stuff like Midway or Ariel isn't going to wow me (except maybe the Ariel AA).

RadioHead

I think people enjoy POTC and HM because their mom enjoyed them and their grandma enjoyed them and so did their great grandma or whatever. They're a rite of passage or something, but that won't make Ariel's attraction a rite of passage or garner it any historical value. Sure it'll look colorful, have catchy songs we've already heard, but they won't win any awards for it. They're getting lazy and need to be inventive again.

Uhh my parents died when I was young, and managed to go to Disney World by a foundation with a group of kids. I rode Haunted Mansion and fell in love, the mood, the atmosphere, the brilliant AA, the pepper ghost trick. It really made me feel as if I was really in this Haunted Mansion...so I like it, because it's a solid attraction. Not because it's some sort of right of passage baloney.

Also besides the Dr. Suess ride, how many AA heavy rides are there even in Islands of Adventure, or Universal Studious? Like 3 or 4???

misterID

But you're really comparing apples to oranges when comparing the 2 parks. They both have totally different philosophies when it comes to rides.

I know you keep saying that you don't like FJ, but that's really different strokes for different folks stuff...

Sorry to hear about your parents. I take it WDW has a huge sentimental value that will never be duplicated by UNI. A lot of people on this site have that... And it leads to a lot of arguments about UNI... :D

raven

I think my favorite will be the Snow White mine car coaster. :)

Well more like mine "train." I saw detailed plans for it but couldn't tell if it was an old plan for the expansion or new. I've seen the concept art of the expansion that everyone has seen except with this ride in the foreground in the old Pooh's Playful Spot location. :animwink:

BrerFrog

I think people enjoy POTC and HM because their mom enjoyed them and their grandma enjoyed them and so did their great grandma or whatever.

HM is arguably the best ride on MK, especially after the refurb so I don't think that is the only reason why people like the ride. I know that is not my case, since my parents have no idea about what the HM is. :lol:

Besides, Disney has done some fantastic Dark Rides in the past few years, they have already taken that to a whole new level. Just look at Monsters Ride and Go Seek and Pooh's Hunny Hunt, mind-blowing rides that make use of impressive AAs. Sadly, WDW has not gotten anything of the sort.

misterID

HM is arguably the best ride on MK, especially after the refurb so I don't think that is the only reason why people like the ride. I know that is not my case, since my parents have no idea about what the HM is. :lol:

Besides, Disney has done some fantastic Dark Rides in the past few years, they have already taken that to a whole new level. Just look at Monsters Ride and Go Seek and Pooh's Hunny Hunt, mind-blowing rides that make use of impressive AAs. Sadly, WDW has not gotten anything of the sort.

Yeah, Disney has taken a huge step forward in dark rides. PHH is just incredible. I think it gets ignored mainly because the scope isn't as big or flashy as like FJ or Spiderman, and they're not in America, but they're absolutely fantastic. I'd even put JTTCOTE up there, too. I still want to know what their answer to Spider Man is/was that Tony Baxter talked about a couple years ago.

From what I've seen of Mystic Manor it's going to be even better than PHH. If only those rides would come here....

And HM's greatness has nothing to do with nostalgia. It's still one of the best/immersive dark rides in or out of WDW and it's nearly 40 years old! That's the mark of a solid ride, imo. :D

RSoxNo1

There was nothing new about Everest except a great AA that you see for 0.23 seconds as you zoom by it, and most of the time it isn't even working. People complain about Revenge of the Mummy always having a broken Mummy AA, but I think the Yeti sees more downtime.

The elevated switch track and the type of switch track was innovative, but your point is well taken. There are things that could have been done with Everest to make it more than just a very well paced coaster.

In addition to all of the effects that were turned off (moving Yeti, pick your waterfall, fog, icy caverns, bird on a stick), here are some other changes I would suggest to the ride.

1. When you first enter the building in the backwards section, the support beems need to be concealed. Take some of the curtains from Spaceship Earth and it would solve the problem. This is just laziness.

2. Right before you exit the mountain for the big drop, there is an exposed beam within the rockwork. I wouldn't be surprised if this was the result of the "5 foot rule" and rockwork coming down too low, but this should be addressed as well.

3. In the Yeti projection room, the track or vehicle should shake. I recognize this would be something that would be a far more substantial change, but the Yeti is lifting the track behind you, the track should not be stationary. Tilt coasters put the track on a pivot that could help accomplish this effect.

JuicyyStarr77

I just wish that instead of this whole big expansion for only Fantasyland, they would add a major new ride to each park. That would draw a lot crowds to not only one park, but all four! It would also please a lot of people.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom