Favorite Country?

Aurora1

I have two- Mexico is my favorite for food, because they have great food across the board. Plus, I'm a Spanish teacher, so it's a nice way to get my dose of "culture" while I'm on vacation! My other favorite is the Biergarten- my dad was born in Germany, and anytime we go to a park that's country themed (Busch Gardens VA is the other I can think of) my dad always drags us to the Octoberfest restaurants. I love the family style meals and the atmosphere!

jharvey

Which country in World Showcase has the best food? Not single restaurant but the best combination of counter service and table service?
Has to be Morocco. Marrekesh is a constantly forgotten gem. Add to that Tangierine Cafe and you have, what in my opinion is, the best WS food.

Phonedave

I think we may be talking about different things, here. I was talking about lines of sight in relation to layering, depth, and views, not color. ;)

First off, and somone who a long time ago though of getting into archetecture, and is still interested in it, I have to agree with you 100%. I love Morocco, they did a wonderful job with that pavillion.

What Lunchbox was referring to is: When designing Tower of Terror, they realized that it was tall enough that if you stood the right spot in EPCOT, you would be able to see ToT off in the distance. You can see it from before you get to Mexico. It appears over the Morocco skyline. The color and shape of the top of the ToT is such that it tends to blend in with the rooflines of Morocco, and most people never notice it. It really has nothing to do with the design of Morocco, mot of a good desing of ToT so as not to damage sightlines of other attractions.

-dave

donaldtoo

First off, and somone who a long time ago though of getting into archetecture, and is still interested in it, I have to agree with you 100%. I love Morocco, they did a wonderful job with that pavillion.

What Lunchbox was referring to is: When designing Tower of Terror, they realized that it was tall enough that if you stood the right spot in EPCOT, you would be able to see ToT off in the distance. You can see it from before you get to Mexico. It appears over the Morocco skyline. The color and shape of the top of the ToT is such that it tends to blend in with the rooflines of Morocco, and most people never notice it. It really has nothing to do with the design of Morocco, mot of a good desing of ToT so as not to damage sightlines of other attractions.

-dave

Yep, then we were talking about two different things, for sure!
Funny thing is, I have read that before, but, for some reason it just went zooooommm! right over my head...!
:confused: ;)
And, yes. Morocco is FABULOUS! I just love to wander around in that pavilion.
And, architecture is also quite fabulous, too! :)
I can drive all over Austin (have also done stuff across the US as well as internationally) pointing out stuff I've done over the years. To put it mildly, It's a pretty cool feeling! :)

Phonedave

Yep, then we were talking about two different things, for sure!
Funny thing is, I have read that before, but, for some reason it just went zooooommm! right over my head...!
:confused: ;)
And, yes. Morocco is FABULOUS! I just love to wander around in that pavilion.
And, architecture is also quite fabulous, too! :)
I can drive all over Austin (have also done stuff across the US as well as internationally) pointing out stuff I've done over the years. To put it mildly, It's a pretty cool feeling! :)

I used to do geotech engineering - subsurface and foundation work. I will be driving in NJ or the surrounding area and it will hit me - "I have been here before". Most of the time you can't see what I worked on because, well, its under the ground. The best is the library here in town. We just moved here about a year ago. About 20 years ago I was the engineer on site overseeing the building pad for that very library. It sort of juts out of the face of a slope - in places over 15 feet of fill were added. There was also a bit of a scandal that went on when they found people using unapproved fill (with organic material in it) - of course none of that happend on my watch, but I got dragged into it. Small world.

-dave

shipley731

-dave

I had never noticed that TOT seemed to blend in with the Morocco skyline until about 2 years ago. We were riding the friendship boat from the dock closest to Canada over to the other other side of the lake and I happened to get a good look at Morocco with TOT in the background. It was only about 11:30am & my husband & I were the only ones on the boat & sitting right behind the boat driver. I mentioned to my husband that it looked like TOT blended right into the Moroccan pavilion. (Color & architectural style from the distance) The boat driver overheard me & struck up a conversation and said that the imagineers designed it that way. The information was from a CM, but in this instance, I tend to think the information is actually accurate. If they didn't mean to do it that way, it's one heck a of a happy accident.

donaldtoo

I used to do geotech engineering - subsurface and foundation work. I will be driving in NJ or the surrounding area and it will hit me - "I have been here before". Most of the time you can't see what I worked on because, well, its under the ground. The best is the library here in town. We just moved here about a year ago. About 20 years ago I was the engineer on site overseeing the building pad for that very library. It sort of juts out of the face of a slope - in places over 15 feet of fill were added. There was also a bit of a scandal that went on when they found people using unapproved fill (with organic material in it) - of course none of that happend on my watch, but I got dragged into it. Small world.

-dave

Very cool! :)

Way back in the day when I first started we used to do our own slab/foundation design.
We had all the formulas memorized and otherwise and would just go by those. At some point way back when, it finally came down that all of that had to be drawn and stamped by a registered engineer. Nothing I've ever designed has ever had any structural issues to my knowledge, but we were more than happy to hand it over to the engineers. And, keep in mind that here in Central Texas we have LOTS of houses in the hills on lots where limestone is only about 6 inches below topsoil. Lots of cut and fill, grade beams, retaining walls, pier and beam, etc., and what we call "Texas Basements".
Just typing/thinking about it all brings a big smile to my face. Can't wait 'til I'm, hopefully, back to doin' it full time, again, soon...!!! :)

HouCuseChickie

While I agree that France offers the most, my vote goes for Germany since every time we end up in the WS- that seems to be where we enjoy the food, drink, setting, etc. the most.

jharvey

Favorite Country?

AMURCA! And if liquified pig lips, snouts, and tails, pressed together and stuffed in a synthetic casing is beneath you, then get out Frenchie.

Sweet Melissa

Mexico --but I'm Mexican so who knows how biased that is? :p

Actually, I'd say that's a pretty strong endorsement that speaks to the food's quality and authenticity. And I agree, Mexico has my favorite combination of food offerings.

Italy has the Italian Margheritas and the wonderful-if-overpriced Tutto Gusto, but I don't care for the table service restaurants.

l4dybu6

Japan! The CS is awesome as well as the shaved ice place (not sure what it's called).
The flat-top grill TS is good too, and so is the restaurant occupying the same building.
And let's not forget the random weird snacks in Mitsukoshi :p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom