Fav story/ quote about Walt

mickey04

Original Poster
What's your favorite story/ quote of Walt Disney's?
I have so many, its har to choose one, but, when Walt saw some nuns bringing underprivelaged children into Disneyland, he asked them how much they had paid to get in. After they told him, Walt went and got their money back, telling them, "You don't pay to bring those children here."
Its those stories that really defined what kind of a man Walt was. I love that story.

no2apprentice

I was surfing the web last month, and found a site (can't remember it now) that had interviews with people who worked for Disney, past and present, and how they felt about Walt and his influence. Some of you may have read this site. One animator, who was employed during the early 60's, recalled how Walt was not around as much as he use to be in the studios. Older employees would complain that Walt didn't know what was going on, not the way he use to: Walt always seemed to be gone on trips. The animator knew that Walt was a chain-smoker, and when he came into work in the mornings, there would sometimes be cigarette butts all over the desks, with a trail going down the hallway to other offices. The butts weren't there when the animator went home the previous evening. The animator had no doubt that Walt knew EXACTLY what was going on, and how the progress of any project was going, even though Walt wasn't a "visible" presence. :)

tinkrbel

Annette Funicello said

this is my favorite quote about Walt Disney because it shows that he was the kind of man anyone could turn to.

Annette Funicello
When I was first diagnosed with multiple sclerosis, of course, my family was foremost in my mind. Although I also thought, "If Mr. Disney were here, I could ask him what I should do. He would know."

32 days

Pioneer Hall

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

"I'm doing this because I want to do it better"

"We are not trying to entertain the critics. I'll take my chances with the public."

"You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality."

Lhriangel

Okay I have to say I was sniffling reading this .. I'm just a sentimentalist. But my quote in my sig is my favorite quote.. that and "it's kind of fun to do the impossible" and "it all started with a mouse".

My favorite story was how he always used to walk around at Disneyland and see how everything was going.

I'm wierd but I always think if there was one person I wish I could have met throughout history it would probally be Walt Disney.

mickey04

Original Poster
Originally posted by Angelique
I'm wierd but I always think if there was one person I wish I could have met throughout history it would probally be Walt Disney.

Me too! I would love to have met Walt. Everyone that knew him seems to have such fond memories.

Pioneer Hall

I know I feel that I almost owe Walt something. He has brought so much happiness to me and my family, and the entire world! Not just in theme parks, but in movies, television, and just the idea of how no matter what the circustances are we can always pursue our dreams. No obstacle should stand in your way of what you want. Walt did it and wanted everyone else to be able to do it to.

So Walt from me and my family THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING!!!!

sillyspook13

I have a friend whose sister dated Walt for 2 weeks. She broke up with him because she didn't think his iseas would make it anywhere.

I'm just imagining her now thinking "This could have all been mine!!!":lol:

Terp02

Hey this is a little off topic, but I've heard rumors Walt was a Nazi supporter and/or an anti-Semite. I am Jewish, but either way I wouldn't take offense because eventhough it is clearly biased towards the majority of the nation with celebrations, I know that's the best for the company and even if he was an anti-Semite, i could never hate a man who dreamed up such GREAT THINGS.

-Josh

mickey04

Original Poster
Originally posted by Terp02
Hey this is a little off topic, but I've heard rumors Walt was a Nazi supporter and/or an anti-Semite. I am Jewish, but either way I wouldn't take offense because eventhough it is clearly biased towards the majority of the nation with celebrations, I know that's the best for the company and even if he was an anti-Semite, i could never hate a man who dreamed up such GREAT THINGS.

-Josh

The Disney company, as well as those who knew Walt personally have been saying for years that there is no evidence to support that belief or that he was anti-semitic. This idea started when the Disney Studios went on strike in 1941. But when he was given an award by B'nai B'rith in 1955, they thoroughly researched the matter and decided that there was no reason to believe he was anti-semitic. His Jewish employees all vouched for the fact he showed no negative attitudes towards them. It seems rediculous to me to even consider that an intellegent, kind man like Walt Disney could ever be associated with the horrors of Nazism and anti-semitism. Hope that clears things up.;)

Pioneer Hall

It was also said that he didn't like black people. But one of his lead animators and Imagineers was black. He said that you can say whatever you want about walt, but he didn't hate anyone. I met the man everyday of my career and he didn't hate anyone. He said that people shouldn't judge what they don't know. I think these stories are just bad rumors.

TD Mickey

Whenever I have been asked the question who is the one person you would like to meet, my answer Walt Disney.
So continuing on with this, I was in my geography class and my prof has done consulting for Disney on the Animal Kingdom. And he has said he is disappointed with Disney. That got me all flustered, so after class I went to ask him why. He then told me this story. Before Walt had made it big, every weekend Walt would walk by the community pool and his dad and a couple of his buddies would be there watching and Walt would pay a nickel for each of them to get in. So then Walt remembered the boys when they showed up at Disneyland. His dad had told his son, my prof all the stuff Walt had told him. And my prof says he is disappointed with Disney because of what EPCOT has turned out to be. Nothing what Walt had wanted. So then the next class he brought me pictures of Walt, they were so neat to see.
Sorry just wanted to share that with you all. Just gave me another aspect

Luau Cove

I always found increible that when he was a nobody, and in plain war, he met another genious : Ray Krock, McDonald's inventor and the creator of the original fast food. It's really amazing how this two people's life changed the world in such a way, and that both were buddies.

-->LuAu

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom