FastPass+ Too Much Planning?

Jody Harris

@1023

Did you "park hop"?
*We had plans to park hop but were tried from spending all day at the park of the day.
Did you feel limited in any way by the number of FP- reservations per day?
*Didn't feel limited at all
Would you feel differently about the experience about FP- if they hadn't given you free ones?
*not at all. The fastpass made things a bit easier especially on travel in day.
Prior to FP-, did you ever use more than 3 Legacy FastPasses in a given day?
* Actually this trip was the first time using more the two per day.
Prior to FP-, did you ever "park hop" utilizing Legacy FastPasses at more than one park in a given day?
*we have park hopped before but never used fastpasses for more then one since we go in September wait times are not very long.
Prior to MM-, did you ever use advance dining reservations?
*have used advance dining the past three trips, and will always use it.
Did you notice any attraction interactions that did not exist prior to MM- and your Magic Handcuff?
*well seeing that the bands are still in testing and many rides have a huge potential for interactions... the only ride that I noticed a difference was test track.

A few others things.. it was much easier getting into the hotel rooms, no more digging for the card. Plus with the card I was always afaird I would lose it or leave it in the room but with the band i wore all the time other then bed. Also paying for meals was easy, the wait staff would just scan the band I would enter a pin and then they would bring us the receipt to sign. My group was excited for the bands and I'm excited to see once they are out of testing what new things will be introduced.

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
@1023

Did you "park hop"?
*We had plans to park hop but were tried from spending all day at the park of the day.
Did you feel limited in any way by the number of FP- reservations per day?
*Didn't feel limited at all
Would you feel differently about the experience about FP- if they hadn't given you free ones?
*not at all. The fastpass made things a bit easier especially on travel in day.
Prior to FP-, did you ever use more than 3 Legacy FastPasses in a given day?
* Actually this trip was the first time using more the two per day.
Prior to FP-, did you ever "park hop" utilizing Legacy FastPasses at more than one park in a given day?
*we have park hopped before but never used fastpasses for more then one since we go in September wait times are not very long.
Prior to MM-, did you ever use advance dining reservations?
*have used advance dining the past three trips, and will always use it.
Did you notice any attraction interactions that did not exist prior to MM- and your Magic Handcuff?
*well seeing that the bands are still in testing and many rides have a huge potential for interactions... the only ride that I noticed a difference was test track.

A few others things.. it was much easier getting into the hotel rooms, no more digging for the card. Plus with the card I was always afraid I would lose it or leave it in the room but with the band i wore all the time other then bed. Also paying for meals was easy, the wait staff would just scan the band I would enter a pin and then they would bring us the receipt to sign. My group was excited for the bands and I'm excited to see once they are out of testing what new things will be introduced.

Thank you so much for your thoughtful responses. For as much as I am down on the idea of this program, you have given me some positive feelings about it. When I visit WDW here shortly, I have promised myself and family members that I will have a wait and see approach. I can see the positives of the "Magic Handcuff" for KTTW functions, but I am more than a little leery about the "tracking" and "data mining" potential. It is also an negative for me that I will be limited to 3 FP- at 1 park per day. We shall see.

*1023*

merry68

Our Magic Bands arrived today.. tried mine on and hate it.. it's the plastic-type material that irritates my skin. My kids hated it too.. they just groaned, but then they don't wear watches or many bracelets to begin with.

I do appreciate the lightning quick speed with which our custom MBs arrived, bravo to Disney for that.

Based on our past 2 trips, I love the ability to tap my KTTW the card to pay, to enter our room and enter the parks. I had no problems with the Touch to Pay, love the ability to tap, enter my PIN and that is it.

We do have some FP+ selections made, but my frustration is with the inability to book FP+ at different parks each day. I also do not like the fact that I cannot get more than 1 FP+ per ride per day either.

Trust me, this is our 3rd trip this year to the World and our first using Magic Bands, so I will be sharing my experiences both good and bad. Less than a month to go.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Our Magic Bands arrived today.. tried mine on and hate it.. it's the plastic-type material that irritates my skin. My kids hated it too.. they just groaned, but then they don't wear watches or many bracelets to begin with.

I do appreciate the lightning quick speed with which our custom MBs arrived, bravo to Disney for that.

Based on our past 2 trips, I love the ability to tap my KTTW the card to pay, to enter our room and enter the parks. I had no problems with the Touch to Pay, love the ability to tap, enter my PIN and that is it.

We do have some FP+ selections made, but my frustration is with the inability to book FP+ at different parks each day. I also do not like the fact that I cannot get more than 1 FP+ per ride per day either.

Trust me, this is our 3rd trip this year to the World and our first using Magic Bands, so I will be sharing my experiences both good and bad. Less than a month to go.
I hated it at first as well...but got used to it (after a few hours of wear), and even forgot it was there most of the time.

My kid also didn't like it at first, but wore it for a few hours at the park before it started annoying her and she wanted to take it off (which she did, into my pocket it went).

Once we made it into the later afternoon where we had some FP+ reservations, she wanted to wear it again. If the novelty of "tapping" is consistent, I think kids will keep it on. But...you just don't "tap" enough to make it interesting, especially in a hot day.

Oh well...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
We made our FP+ plans the other day. I like the preplanning since I have a toddler and a preschooler. I like knowing we have a spot for TSMM after nap, or we can sleep in and not get to the park until 11:00 if we need to after our night at MNSSHP and have spots for the our kids favorite rides waiting for us. I was also able to split up our FP+ my husband and daughter can ride Splash while I take my shorty on Jungle Cruise at the same time. Instead of trying to coordinate and hoping you get on the rides at the same time.

FP+ will be like ADR's if you are not up online at 0600 Eastern 60 days in advance FORGET about the headliner attractions.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
FP+ will be like ADR's if you are not up online at 0600 Eastern 60 days in advance FORGET about the headliner attractions.

And that is my fear. Disney just added a bunch of resorts to the October list, Boardwalk wasn't part of test and is now, 30 days out.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
And that is my fear. Disney just added a bunch of resorts to the October list, Boardwalk wasn't part of test and is now, 30 days out.
I made my FP+ selections last Friday at about 36 days out and was able to get all my FP+ choices at the exact time I wanted as well. As of right now this does not seem to be an issue. My choices included BTMRR, Splash, Buzz, Enchanted Tales, JourneyLm, TSMM, Maelstrom, Soarin', Star Tours and Text Track.

WendyTinkerbell

Ok, so after reading the above here are somethings to note:

• I wasn't sure about the AP vouchers and how that would work with scheduling FP+. I asked a cast member through the online chat system, and she said I "would be able to print the AP vouchers and then link them to my MDE account". I would then be able to schedule the FP+.
    • I was only able to print a ticket confirmation number. (The vouchers are scheduled to be sent by Oct. 4th.)
  • I entered the confirmation and did not work. I called the number listed and was transferred to the internet department. After being on hold with a Cast Member, she told me she was having problems and would continue to work on it. She said she would email me when she was able to figure it out, and had been in touch with other departments trying to figure out what my ticket number would be and link that.
    • At like 9:00 last night, about 5 hours after I spoke with her, I received an email that my tickets had successfully been linked and could schedule my FP+.
  • SO.... Somehow they are able to link ticket confirmation numbers, without actual tickets, for FP+ reservations.
Of course, I am all excited when I get home from work, and want to schedule FPs. I get out my iPad and am talking to my husband, and he is acting like this is the worst thing in the world. He says he doesn't want to over plan everything and doesn't understand why we are doing this. My response is to, at this point, treat it like an additional FP. If we use it, Great! If don't make it in time, then Oh Well! I reminded him that we don't end up using some of the regular passes (because we may decide to go to another park or take a nap).

We did the first FP+ test when they first ran it at MK and he thought that was cool. We scheduled a day of FP when at the airport boarding the ME. We were able to choose 2 FP from each category for the day. He thought that was pretty cool as we still did our normal schedule with a few extra rides. Our take away is that we were there during a non-busy time, so it didn't add that much as the wait for Haunted Mansion wasn't affected by us using a FP+.

It should be interesting this time. We're staying at BWI mid-October and I was still able to get pretty good times on the popular rides.

DisneyJoe

A note from my experience this past week:

I had made a 1pm FP+ for Spaceship Earth for Sunday, the day we arrived. When we got to Epcot that day, Spaceship Earth was a walk-on, no line at all. My wife still went over to the FP+ CM, and she told us to ride the attraction via the usual line, and then go to Guest Services and tell them why we didn't use the FP+ and they would "give it back" to us to use for another time - but we had to do it before 2pm, when our FP+ would have expired.

I heard from a few others that this was possible too.

We were also very successful in getting same day FP+ as well as making modifications day before or same day. Of course, the crowds were low.

Bairstow

I didn't even know you could get a fastpass for Spaceship Earth.

Wish I had known that trick. We had a fastpass for Big Thunder that turned out to be no longer than stand-by. We just ended up riding it twice.

So what did you trade in that unused pass for? Could it be for a different attraction, or was it just going to be at Spaceship Earth again, but at a busier time?

DisneyJoe

Wish I had known that trick. We had a fastpass for Big Thunder that turned out to be no longer than stand-by. We just ended up riding it twice.

So what did you trade in that unused pass for? Could it be for a different attraction, or was it just going to be at Spaceship Earth again, but at a busier time?

It could be used for either, but we used it for Test Track. Nemo and others were available too.

jkl2000

We signed up for Magic Bands, but I'm keep dragging my heels on linking in our MNSSHP tickets and trying to see if there's a way to link in our regular tickets. Why? b/c while I'd like a few things with FP+ (ex- not having to run for TSMM, TT, SM FPs first thing OR having to deal with the crowds for MSEP), but the rest...well, I like being able to go with the flow a bit. Sure, we book lots of ADRs, but having reservations for dining feels "normal" to me. Having reservations all day for rides feels so stressful.

I don't think you can make Fastpass+ reservations during MNSSHP - right?

I was hoping we DIDN'T get to test FP+ at first, but now that we have it I'm glad we have it. We're planning on doing resort breaks most days, and either heading back to the same park or hopping to a different park in the afternoon. Since we've never been to a AK or DHS before, and my kids either have never been to WDW or don't remember anything (one of each), I scheduled the FP+ rides for the mornings, so we don't have to dash around as much and can take it all in and appreciate our surroundings. Then, in the afternoon/evening, MAYBE there will be paper FPs for some thing we want to do, but if not, we'll anyway want to focus on some of the shows, parades, fireworks, etc.

I found the planning not so bad, and if my plan works, we'll have an overall more relaxed time and not have to worry we won't hit the big headliners.

jkl2000

I can't tell what post you're referring to? What trick to do you mean? If you get to one of your FP rides and there's a short standby line, to switch the FP reservation for another ride and just do standby for the first one?

Bairstow

Well I suppose it's not really a "trick" but it didn't occur to us that having scheduled a fastpass+ time for an attraction that did not turn out to need a fastpass, we could have gone to guest services and changed the reservation to something that does need a fastpass.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
I don't think you can make Fastpass+ reservations during MNSSHP - right?

I was hoping we DIDN'T get to test FP+ at first, but now that we have it I'm glad we have it. We're planning on doing resort breaks most days, and either heading back to the same park or hopping to a different park in the afternoon. Since we've never been to a AK or DHS before, and my kids either have never been to WDW or don't remember anything (one of each), I scheduled the FP+ rides for the mornings, so we don't have to dash around as much and can take it all in and appreciate our surroundings. Then, in the afternoon/evening, MAYBE there will be paper FPs for some thing we want to do, but if not, we'll anyway want to focus on some of the shows, parades, fireworks, etc.

I found the planning not so bad, and if my plan works, we'll have an overall more relaxed time and not have to worry we won't hit the big headliners.

I made FP+ choices on MNSSHP night. You can only do it between 4 and 7 if you are doing it on a party ticket.

jkl2000

Well I suppose it's not really a "trick" but it didn't occur to us that having scheduled a fastpass+ time for an attraction that did not turn out to need a fastpass, we could have gone to guest services and changed the reservation to something that does need a fastpass.

Got it - sorry, I wasn't seeing the previous posts for some reason.

I think I'd probably just ride the attraction twice if that happened, but still good to know.

So once you're in the "window" for one of your FP+, you can no longer change it to a different attraction or change the time? Makes sense, just wasn't sure.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom