FastPass+ Too Much Planning?

HouCuseChickie

I may have missed something previously, but what is the issue you're having? What will they need to link in person that they can't do now?

They're complimentary tickets that can only be activated in person at Guest Relations. So, the confirmation code to activate them won't operate like a standard will call code. They said I should be able to have them linked into our Magic Bands once they're activated and book last minute FP+, but there's nothing I can do before that.

Tom

Beta Return
They're complimentary tickets that can only be activated in person at Guest Relations. So, the confirmation code to activate them won't operate like a standard will call code. They said I should be able to have them linked into our Magic Bands once they're activated and book last minute FP+, but there's nothing I can do before that.

Ohhhhh. That sucks, and seems like it needs to be fixed.

merry68

We are part of the test for our mid Oct trip. What I find the absolutely most annoying is the DW Website- it is so slow and cumbersome. I am on a fast internet connection, but that never seems to matter... slow as molasses.

we have booked a few FP+s, then canceled a few and well,, at this point, I truly don't care. It is a very short weekend trip, and it will be however it will be.

It is neat to play around with the FP+ system but the novelty has already worn off. We haven't even ordered MBs yet.

I will say I was almost run down by another guest- we were walking out of the RnRC area and just about to turn onto Sunset BLvd, when all of the sudden, this guy comes charging right at me, full speed, and NEVER looked up from his smartphone. I mean, I had to move out of the way or we would've collided.

I fear we are going to see more of those situations, or even a guest walking right into a fountain or pool.

ddrongowski

One of the reasons we go is to get away from the everyday. I don't even take my phone most of the time. My wife does have a smartphone but we have never taken it to a park with us, it is always at the room or in the car. While I am viewing this with an iPad right now, I would never carry this thing around WDW. Just an old fogey I guess, but don't want to be bothered with a phone during my escape from the rest of the world. Include me as one of those who won't be online in line.
We are the same exact way. But what we did is choose FP+'s and will just carry the small piece of paper with the times in a water proof plastic bag. I hate my wireless lease, don't understand those whom love them.

Clamman73

We are part of the test for our mid Oct trip. What I find the absolutely most annoying is the DW Website- it is so slow and cumbersome. I am on a fast internet connection, but that never seems to matter... slow as molasses.

we have booked a few FP+s, then canceled a few and well,, at this point, I truly don't care. It is a very short weekend trip, and it will be however it will be.

It is neat to play around with the FP+ system but the novelty has already worn off. We haven't even ordered MBs yet.

I will say I was almost run down by another guest- we were walking out of the RnRC area and just about to turn onto Sunset BLvd, when all of the sudden, this guy comes charging right at me, full speed, and NEVER looked up from his smartphone. I mean, I had to move out of the way or we would've collided.

I fear we are going to see more of those situations, or even a guest walking right into a fountain or pool.

Watch people do that and then demand Disney to replace their iPhone...:in pain:

G8rchamps

We used FP+ Labor Day weekend and the parks were quiet in the morning. So we planned our 3 afternoon rides and were able to go with "hey kids, what do you want to ride first?' Actually slowed the day down not running to get paper passes. It went very well, but I am as sceptical as the rest about full roll out.

On the topic of overplanning- we almost always know which park which day due to hours, days of week, and ADR's.

James122

I agree with a lot of what's been said in this thread. I dislike the idea of having to plan my every day of my vacation out three months before I arrive and I dislike even more the fact that this means I'll have to adhere to a set 'schedule' the whole time. I echo the fear that once the system goes fully online, Fastpasses for the popular rides will be either all gone months in advance, or those guests without MyMagic+ will be left with the scraps. But like someone above said, if we don't go along with it, we won't play at all :(

I'm curious to see what changes are made to the program if (when?) they decide to implement this system at Disneyland. With the much larger percentage of locals and APs at who often don't decide to visit the parks until several days in advance (or sometimes the day of), I have a hard time seeing how FT+ would work in the Anaheim parks.

ddrongowski

I'm curious to see what changes are made to the program if (when?) they decide to implement this system at Disneyland.
Not sure about Disneyland, but with all the preplanning, maybe they will get rid of the standby lines. After all if you don't do as they want, you will not do anything. Remember resistance is futile.:)

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
We made our FP+ plans the other day. I like the preplanning since I have a toddler and a preschooler. I like knowing we have a spot for TSMM after nap, or we can sleep in and not get to the park until 11:00 if we need to after our night at MNSSHP and have spots for the our kids favorite rides waiting for us. I was also able to split up our FP+ my husband and daughter can ride Splash while I take my shorty on Jungle Cruise at the same time. Instead of trying to coordinate and hoping you get on the rides at the same time.

Jody Harris

When it comes to Disney, I'm a planner. I pick what restaurant and what parks for the day way in advance. I just return this past Thursday and was able to use the magic bands, which I was so excited for. For the most part the bands were awesome. When I planned which fastpasses I was gonna pick I tried to do rides close by. So like tower of terror and rock n roller coaster. The best part was we were able to ride everything we wanted and some things twice. Another plus was the day we got there we picked hollywood studios by the time we got to the park it was around noon meaning toy story normal fastpasses were for late in the evening. So it was nice knowing we already had a time earlier. We did have quite a few issues with the bands when it came to fastpasses for our whole group. But the CM we came in contact with were helpful and the ended up giving us a couple extra ones. We even got one for Wishes! If you are someone that has been going to disney for a while it will make things a little more relaxing since you don't have to rush around getting passes. I for one am excited for the bands and I think once the bands have the bugs worked out think they will be wonderful.

Bairstow

Having just used the FP+ system I agree with those who say it's not such a big deal.
At first, the idea of reserving ride times so far in advance horrified me; I like my vacations to be much more spontaneous and free-wheeling. In practice things weren't nearly as regimented as I thought they'd be. I honestly forgot most of the reservation times I had signed up for until I started checking the times on the app when I was actually in the park, and the FP+ return windows are wide enough that we never had to drop what we were doing to make it across the park to make it. Because the vast majority of the time we were spending at the park was at non-fastpass attractions, shows, or simply enjoying the park, 3 or 4 "appointments" to go to a high-demand ride hardly seemed like an intrusive amount of pre-planning, less so than a dining reservation actually since the actual time you have to spend there is more on the order of 15-20 minutes rather than an hour or two.

pumpkin7

I suppose the best us skeptics can do is pick our 3 favourite, or 3 busiest and just book those, and hope you're in the right area at the right time.
I like to plan out which parks we go to but I usually do this on the plane on the way over. Now I'll just have to do it the week/month before. It just sucks that the regular FP won't be available... although then why would they bother calling it FP+ if it's just going to replace regular FP? Wouldn't they jsut say they are upgrading FP on this date...? I dunno. Just an idea.

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
When it comes to Disney, I'm a planner. I pick what restaurant and what parks for the day way in advance. I just return this past Thursday and was able to use the magic bands, which I was so excited for. For the most part the bands were awesome. When I planned which fastpasses I was gonna pick I tried to do rides close by. So like tower of terror and rock n roller coaster. The best part was we were able to ride everything we wanted and some things twice. Another plus was the day we got there we picked hollywood studios by the time we got to the park it was around noon meaning toy story normal fastpasses were for late in the evening. So it was nice knowing we already had a time earlier. We did have quite a few issues with the bands when it came to fastpasses for our whole group. But the CM we came in contact with were helpful and the ended up giving us a couple extra ones. We even got one for Wishes! If you are someone that has been going to disney for a while it will make things a little more relaxing since you don't have to rush around getting passes. I for one am excited for the bands and I think once the bands have the bugs worked out think they will be wonderful.

I have a few questions @Jody Harris .

Did you "park hop"?
Did you feel limited in any way by the number of FP- reservations per day?
Would you feel differently about the experience about FP- if they hadn't given you free ones?
Prior to FP-, did you ever use more than 3 Legacy FastPasses in a given day?
Prior to FP-, did you ever "park hop" utilizing Legacy FastPasses at more than one park in a given day?
Prior to MM-, did you ever use advance dining reservations?
Did you notice any attraction interactions that did not exist prior to MM- and your Magic Handcuff?

While I currently am not a fan of the new system, (made clear by my jabs in the questions) I really am looking for feedback from regular visitors.

*1023*

ThemeParkJunkee

I have started planning a trip one year out. I am waiting for this thing to be up and running exclusive of legacy FP so I have an inkling of what to do. It is stressful enough dealing with ADRs. My last trip (Nov 2010), I made one ADR for an in-park restaurant. I was foolishly under the impression that a slow time of year would allow a party of two to call day of or walk-up. All I read about reservations was that they were "recommended" not "absolutely essential". We ended up eating at Boardwalk restaurants and Epcot counter service most of the time.

My DBF can't understand why I am concerned about this. He wants to know why we can't just "wing-it" like the last trip. What he fails to remember is that we did NOT "wing-it". I had which days at which park and a touring plan for each day on an index card we took along. We did not use FP much because of the time of year and using AM EMH then hopping to the most recommended park. Now, how do I pre-arrange my "attraction experiences" and still make it appear as if we are "winging it" so he considers it a spontaneous, fun vacation?

Bairstow

Now, how do I pre-arrange my "attraction experiences" and still make it appear as if we are "winging it" so he considers it a spontaneous, fun vacation?

Make the ride reservations based on which park you think you'll be in and then just pick the longest/least comfortable queues.
Then, assuming you're in the correct park on a given day, periodically check your phone the day-of and announce that if you want you two have a reservation at Soarin' coming up or whatever.
That way it feels more like you're taking advantage of opportunities as they come up and not sticking to a schedule.

ThemeParkJunkee

Make the ride reservations based on which park you think you'll be in and then just pick the longest/least comfortable queues.
Then, assuming you're in the correct park on a given day, periodically check your phone the day-of and announce that if you want you two have a reservation at Soarin' coming up or whatever.
That way it feels more like you're taking advantage of opportunities as they come up and not sticking to a schedule.

This may work. He apparently didn't notice me consulting a detailed touring plan on a card or the "Lines" app on my phone on our last "spontaneous adventure".

JohnD

Original Poster

I purchased a Florida Resident Weekday Select Pass from AAA. Turns out they handed me a plastic card that acts as a voucher. It cannot be entered into MDE until I visit a Guest Relations on-site and exchange for the actual pass. Only at that time can I scan the pass into MDE. Too late for FP+ reservations? No idea.

HouCuseChickie

I purchased a Florida Resident Weekday Select Pass from AAA. Turns out they handed me a plastic card that acts as a voucher. It cannot be entered into MDE until I visit a Guest Relations on-site and exchange for the actual pass. Only at that time can I scan the pass into MDE. Too late for FP+ reservations? No idea.

I should find out Thursday night how they can accommodate us for this. If I'm not overly exhausted and totally caught up with being there...I'll try and post our results.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom