Fastpass+ Stressing Me Out, I thought this was a vacation

TinkandCrew

Original Poster
So, I am thoroughly confused about all this Fastpass+ talk. Some parks have it, some don't, some have tiered levels, some don't. Pass limits and yadda, yadda, yadda.

I thought this was supposed to be a vacation. Don't get me wrong, I know WDW is not what you would call a "relaxing" vacation, but I'm starting to get visions of what Walmart looks like on Black Friday or something. Total chaos....

We are staying off site which makes my situation even more confusing. Does that mean we just lose the option of reservations ahead of time?:facepalm:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
So, I am thoroughly confused about all this Fastpass+ talk. Some parks have it, some don't, some have tiered levels, some don't. Pass limits and yadda, yadda, yadda.

I thought this was supposed to be a vacation. Don't get me wrong, I know WDW is not what you would call a "relaxing" vacation, but I'm starting to get visions of what Walmart looks like on Black Friday or something. Total chaos....

We are staying off site which makes my situation even more confusing. Does that mean we just lose the option of reservations ahead of time?:facepalm:
All Disney parks have FP+. Epcot and the Studios are the only parks with tiers. As an offsite guest you cannot make FP+ in advance but can make them in the parks on the day you visit. Don't fret as you will have plenty of options.

Weather_Lady

The "reports" coming in so far have reflected that off-site guests getting their FP+ reservations in the park, day-of, are having little problem getting the attractions and times they want (even during the busy Christmas week). Do not fret! The tiering of the FP+ system in HS and Epcot will be annoying to work around, but look on the bright side: the tiers in those parks, and the restrictions they place on FP+ for the most popular attractions, are the one thing that is preserving the availability of FP+ for those attractions for offsite guests and others who can't reserve them ahead of time, so it is inuring to your benefit.

Fear not and have a great vacation!

Chernaboggles

My husband and I are going in a couple weeks, we're also staying offsite. Since it's a working vacation with ever-changing schedules, we aren't able to do the high level of planning that people recommend. We're just going to play it by (mouse)ear day by day. No ADRs, no magic bands, just same-day FP+ via the kiosks and calling around for restaurant availability if we want to have a meal on site. I'll report back on how it works out.

TinkandCrew

Original Poster
I have to say, that for myself, I feel like an administrative assistant to my own vacation.... and I'm staying on site. I've spent 3.5 hours so far, over 7 calls, 8 chat sessions and at my computer trying to get things right. Myself, I prefer the stampede at rope drop.....

I know what you mean. My husband told me I was obsessed with our trip because I kept looking into everything....he has no idea!

I told him last week we should decide where we were going to eat and he laughed at me. When I got online and showed him all the reservations were already booked up for our week he couldn't believe it.

TinkandCrew

Original Poster
My husband and I are going in a couple weeks, we're also staying offsite. Since it's a working vacation with ever-changing schedules, we aren't able to do the high level of planning that people recommend. We're just going to play it by (mouse)ear day by day. No ADRs, no magic bands, just same-day FP+ via the kiosks and calling around for restaurant availability if we want to have a meal on site. I'll report back on how it works out.

Thank you...please let us know! It should be interesting....

sloppy.joey

With Fastpass+ all you have to do, if you don't feel like making them in advance, is go to a kiosk the day of and choose 3 selections and the time slots you want. There's no need to run around going to a ride then leaving and coming back, no more waiting in line at each Fastpass distribution, and if you can't make it, no worries you can just change or cancel them. And for those who want to make them in advanced you don't have to worry about waking up early in order to get fastpasses for high demand rides. While there are definitely some bugs in my magic+, Fastpass+, in theory, is definitely not one of them in my opinion. Just relax and have fun, that's what vacationing is all about!

Last edited:

Redhawk

I think you'll be there at a lower-crowd time. Your approach sounds like the right one. Relax and enjoy!

ratherbeinwdw

Being at the parks at rope drop will be your best friend. We can get more rides done in the first hour without a fp than we can until the early afternoon with fp. And now, being able to get fp+ will help even more. I would go straight for the long wait rides first, then worry about getting fastpasses at a kiosk, unless you just happen to be first in line at a kiosk or really close to the front of the line. You may even luck up and get a cm with an ipad to get you set-up. Make sure you don't go to an early hours park, or you somewhat dilute the advantage of rope drop.

Chernaboggles

I think you'll be there at a lower-crowd time. Your approach sounds like the right one. Relax and enjoy!

We'll be in Orlando all month, so we should see a variety of crowd types, President's Day week looks wild on the crowd calendars! I think we'll probably avoid the parks on the busiest days, but it'l be interesting to see how the experience changes with crowd levels. When I first got on these boards I started freaking out a little about our inability to access the magic bands and plan things, but hopefully it'll turn out all right.

Redhawk

We'll be in Orlando all month, so we should see a variety of crowd types...

Chernaboggles, if you can go to the parks on days the crowd predictors rate a 4 or lower, you don't have to worry about rope-drop and rushing around. Go to the kiosks as soon as you arrive and get your FP for later in the day, and then head toward your first area. Keep in mind that at this point many guests aren't even aware of FP+.

Last edited:

Chernaboggles

Chernaboggles, if you can go to the parks on days the crowd predictors rate a 4 or lower, you don't have to worry about rope-drop and rushing around. Go to the kiosks as soon as you arrive and get your FP for later in the day, and then head toward your first area. Keep in mind that at this point many guests aren't even aware of FP+.

Great tip, I'll make a note on our calendar. Thank you!

KeithVH

Not to be Debbie Downer but for those planning on using the kiosks, be prepared for the possibility of waiting. In some cases for a LONG time. On Friday, as we walked thru MK, every single area had unbelievably long lines (just got back today, I'll try to find the pics). The CMs there are helpful and will take care of you but with only 2-4 active stations/CMs per kiosk, they only have so much thruput. Admittedly, the lines were much better earlier in the week but still, it was a very ugly sight.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Not to be Debbie Downer but for those planning on using the kiosks, be prepared for the possibility of waiting. In some cases for a LONG time. On Friday, as we walked thru MK, every single area had unbelievably long lines (just got back today, I'll try to find the pics). The CMs there are helpful and will take care of you but with only 2-4 active stations/CMs per kiosk, they only have so much thruput. Admittedly, the lines were much better earlier in the week but still, it was a very ugly sight.

Figure on being in line for 20-45 minutes

GrumpyFan

If all the planning stresses you out, then stop. It's not like you HAVE to make advanced reservations and Fastpass selections in order to have a good time.
You can still go to the parks and ride quite a few of the major attractions and even find dining availability on the day of arrival. There are a few things that might not be available for dining, but WDW has so many restaurants available that there will always be something available at the last minute, it just might not necessarily be what you wanted. So go, enjoy and stop worrying about it.

Last edited:

jlsHouston

OMG lines to schedule a FP+ ? That is freaking ridiculous.

Redhawk

OMG lines to schedule a FP+ ? That is freaking ridiculous.
30 minutes spent in line waiting to get 3 FP+ and then the ability to change them later, or 30 minutes spent walking across the parks to try to get paper fast passes that are limited to a certain window?

I think I'd rather stand in line, choose my times, and have it all settled when I walk away. When I was there it was a low-crowd time and I didn't wait at all. There were always available CMs to handle my FP+ requests. I really liked being able to schedule how I moved around the MK using both FP+ and standby lines.

I realize it may be different when it's a high-crowd time, but I don't think it's going to be so bad, only different from what everyone is used to.

jlsHouston

30 minutes spent in line waiting to get 3 FP+ and then the ability to change them later, or 30 minutes spent walking across the parks to try to get paper fast passes that are limited to a certain window?

I think I'd rather stand in line, choose my times, and have it all settled when I walk away. When I was there it was a low-crowd time and I didn't wait at all. There were always available CMs to handle my FP+ requests. I really liked being able to schedule how I moved around the MK using both FP+ and standby lines.

I realize it may be different when it's a high-crowd time, but I don't think it's going to be so bad, only different from what everyone is used to.

I was at WDW in November and crowds were pretty heavy but FP+ was still in "testing". When we moved to the Dolphin we were told to go to the CMS with the tablets at the park entry points and we could show our room key and make our FP+ selections. Probably because it was still testing and there were still legacy FP available we had no waits.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom