FastPass+ Ride Closure Positive Experience

Coaster Lover

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I haven't read about this happening before, so I thought I'd post about it as something that I was really happy with on a recent trip to Disney. Typically, from what I've heard, if a ride goes down during your FastPass window, they will allow you to come back to the same ride anytime during the same day after the ride reopens to use your FastPass. On a recent trip, I had a Fastpass for Space Mountain for 9 pm - 10 pm (the park was only open until 10 pm). At about 8:30 pm, Space Mountain went down due to technical issues and I was almost certain that the ride would be closed for the night (given the park's closing time) and I would lose the FastPass. I was even considering seeing if there was anything I could change my FastPass to. However, just as I started looking for new options, I received an email notifying me of the closure. Instead of just reassigning me to a new FastPass or saying I could come back to the same ride the next day, the email stated that I could go to ANY ride at ANY time at ANY of the parks in the next 48 hours without effecting any of my other FastPasses. It was sort of like a one time use "Wild Card" FastPass. I was really happy with this result and thought it was a nice perk that otherwise probably wouldn't have been possible with the previous system (or at least not possible without a trip to talk to a Cast Member or Guest Relations). In the end, Space Mountain did reopen (around 9:30) and we ended up using the FastPass for that anyways, but I thought it was a really nice move!

Jahona

Similar thing happened to me last year with Star Tours. The ride went down during the middle of the day and we were given the option of going to any ride at Hollywood Studios. Kinda shocked me that ToT and Rock n Roller Coaster were both listed. It's a nice touch that Disney gives you freedom when they know things happen outside of their control.

It's like finding a hidden Mickey to me when a ride goes down while you have a fast pass! I was at AK last August during a really bad storm in the middle of the day (I mean, I've seen a lot of Florida storms but there were trees falling in the walkways, mass flooding, and not a soul was trying to walk through this anywhere). Anyway, once the worst of it cleared we made our way to Dinosaur for our Fastpass at 5pm, but it was closed down, as most of the rides were because of the storm. The operator of the ride directed us to guest services where they added a fastpass onto our Disney Experience app that didn't interfere with any of our other fastpasses we already booked and worked for EVERY RIDE that has fastpass. We were more than happy with that arrangement as we had already ridden Dinosaur three times that day and really wanted another run on TSM the next day :)

Tom

Beta Return
I haven't read about this happening before, so I thought I'd post about it as something that I was really happy with on a recent trip to Disney. Typically, from what I've heard, if a ride goes down during your FastPass window, they will allow you to come back to the same ride anytime during the same day after the ride reopens to use your FastPass. On a recent trip, I had a Fastpass for Space Mountain for 9 pm - 10 pm (the park was only open until 10 pm). At about 8:30 pm, Space Mountain went down due to technical issues and I was almost certain that the ride would be closed for the night (given the park's closing time) and I would lose the FastPass. I was even considering seeing if there was anything I could change my FastPass to. However, just as I started looking for new options, I received an email notifying me of the closure. Instead of just reassigning me to a new FastPass or saying I could come back to the same ride the next day, the email stated that I could go to ANY ride at ANY time at ANY of the parks in the next 48 hours without effecting any of my other FastPasses. It was sort of like a one time use "Wild Card" FastPass. I was really happy with this result and thought it was a nice perk that otherwise probably wouldn't have been possible with the previous system (or at least not possible without a trip to talk to a Cast Member or Guest Relations). In the end, Space Mountain did reopen (around 9:30) and we ended up using the FastPass for that anyways, but I thought it was a really nice move!

Great example of one of the many ways they can use this system to the guest's benefit....and a nice demonstration of proactive Customer Service. They solved your problem before you even had a chance to bring it up to them.

Tom

Beta Return
It's like finding a hidden Mickey to me when a ride goes down while you have a fast pass! I was at AK last August during a really bad storm in the middle of the day (I mean, I've seen a lot of Florida storms but there were trees falling in the walkways, mass flooding, and not a soul was trying to walk through this anywhere). Anyway, once the worst of it cleared we made our way to Dinosaur for our Fastpass at 5pm, but it was closed down, as most of the rides were because of the storm. The operator of the ride directed us to guest services where they added a fastpass onto our Disney Experience app that didn't interfere with any of our other fastpasses we already booked and worked for EVERY RIDE that has fastpass. We were more than happy with that arrangement as we had already ridden Dinosaur three times that day and really wanted another run on TSM the next day :)

I think we were at POR during that storm. Is that the one where lightning stuck a car in Epcot?

erasure fan1

I hope this is now the norm. Last year my inlaws booked TSMM and got an email about 2 weeks before the trip saying OOPS sorry, we canceled the fastpass. No reason given, the ride wasn't down so maybe they over booked, who knows. It wasn't a great experience for them and it left a bad taste in their mouth regarding this new system, so hopefully they do this all the time from now on.

RushBoingo

I had this happen to me a couple of times throughout my last trip. Most of the time a ride would close, and I would just wait for it to be fixed, I was never so fortunate as to have a ride like Star Wars break, allowing me another free ride on Tower of Terror or Toy Story instead of bypassing the 10 minute line of star wars.

I did however get very lucky twice on my trip with rides breaking down for special circumstances.

1. I was riding the Mine Train (second day of official operation), and it was the last ride of the night, went in line right before park closing, and probably had only 50-100 people behind me (obviously this was a common strategy for the brand new ride). I got on the ride with my dad, and we rode the entire way through, only to have the ride break down right in front of the cottage at the end, so the only part of the ride we "missed" experiencing was the final move into the station. We only waited 2 minutes to be manually taken off, got a close up look at the cottage and witch, and received a fast pass that was good the following day ANYWHERE. I wound up using both my and my dad's passes for the mine train, but had I wanted, I could have used one to visit Anna and Else, who of course a year ago were still hosting 3 hour long lines. Plus BONUS, I got a pass from another guy on my train who was leaving the next day and had no use for it. The following day I had 3 rides on the mine train no wait, in the first week of operation.

2. I had a fast pass for space mountain I was using, but I did not get far in the line before it stopped moving and the lights came on. Everyone was directed to an exit, and handed out passes good for any Magic Kingdom Ride (excluding the Mine Train and the Anna/Elsa meet and greet), meanwhile though, since I had just gotten into the fast pass line (or the where the line formed at the control tower area), I had not yet reached the fast pass scanner that confirms that you are on the ride (I only scanned the front one which allows me into the line), so as far as the MyMagic+ system was concerned I had not arrived for my fast pass yet, and I promptly received an email with a list of thrill rides I could replace the fast pass with. With all of that done, I headed to book my 4th fast pass (since the original space mountain one became used due to the breakdown), and rebooked Space mountain for an hour later (since I was a single rider, there were a lot left), and used my two freebie passes at Splash and Big Thunder. Space Mountain was still broken when my FP + time came up, so I received another email for another freebie, booked another ride (I think I chose buzz lightyear 30 minutes away to spare me a walk), and then went to check on Space Mountain. Right as I walked up, the staff members told me it just reopened, and I went in with a 3 minute wait, came out to use my broken ride FP for a second go round (line now up to an hour or so), and then went on to buzz lightyear, and the rest of my night (kind of a blur after that, probably people watched for a while and ate some food). I guess to sum everything up... Luckiest Trip Ever.

daringstoic

I know this thread is a bit old, but was this a change instituted in 2015? My only other experience with FP+ was Christmas 2014 and we didn't get anything like this. The ride we'd booked for the third of our initial FPs that day went down right as our return window was opening. We asked if we could come back later because we had lunch reservations in 45 minutes and the CM told us that if the ride reopened during our return window (even if it was only with five minutes left) and we didn't use our passes they would expire. Only if the ride was down for the whole window would we be able to come back at any time. Basically we would've had to wait around outside the attraction for the entire hour to see if it opened or risk losing the FP we'd booked.

He also said that if the ride didn't reopen during our window and the FP remained valid, we wouldn't be able to book our next FP until it had been used. So by holding onto a pass for a ride that might be down for hours or ever the rest of the day, we'd more or less forfeit any additional FPs for the rest of the day.

The whole thing just seemed like very un-Disney customer service and gave my Disney-seasoned family that was already a little skeptical of the new system an even worse impression if it.

I'm heading down for a trip next week, so I'm just trying to figure out what's correct and what I can expect if something breaks down.

Jahona

If the ride goes down during your fastpass window you should get a notification from the app and an email letting you know. It will then tell you your options of what rides you can substitute it for.

This email was from last year so some things might be different.

Screen Shot 2016-06-28 at 12.52.05 PM.png

Rob562

I know this thread is a bit old, but was this a change instituted in 2015? My only other experience with FP+ was Christmas 2014 and we didn't get anything like this. The ride we'd booked for the third of our initial FPs that day went down right as our return window was opening. We asked if we could come back later because we had lunch reservations in 45 minutes and the CM told us that if the ride reopened during our return window (even if it was only with five minutes left) and we didn't use our passes they would expire. Only if the ride was down for the whole window would we be able to come back at any time. Basically we would've had to wait around outside the attraction for the entire hour to see if it opened or risk losing the FP we'd booked.

He also said that if the ride didn't reopen during our window and the FP remained valid, we wouldn't be able to book our next FP until it had been used. So by holding onto a pass for a ride that might be down for hours or ever the rest of the day, we'd more or less forfeit any additional FPs for the rest of the day.

The whole thing just seemed like very un-Disney customer service and gave my Disney-seasoned family that was already a little skeptical of the new system an even worse impression if it.

I'm heading down for a trip next week, so I'm just trying to figure out what's correct and what I can expect if something breaks down.

The CM who told you that was wrong. The substitution/later-use has been a feature of FP+ since it was introduced (maybe not during some initial testing, but definitely since it went live for everyone).

-Rob

jrogue

If something breaks down you can either use your FP later when the ride re-opens, or you can go on one of the alternate attractions that they will list. There will be an e-mail sent, or you can speak with a cast member who will be by the closed ride holding a list of what you can go on. :) Whomever told you that you'd lose your FP was wrong!

daringstoic

Thanks! That's good to know. We were so baffled by how unfair what he was telling us seemed. We never got any emails or notifications though.

Does anyone know if the "wild card" replacement FP you get would prevent you from booking additional ones? ie. If it was something you really wanted to ride and were willing to wait til the end of the day to ride it using the wild card, could we book new ones as if we'd used up our first three? Or would it be better to just use it right away and try to keep getting more so we're not locked out if FPs all day?

Tuvalu

Thanks! That's good to know. We were so baffled by how unfair what he was telling us seemed. We never got any emails or notifications though.

Does anyone know if the "wild card" replacement FP you get would prevent you from booking additional ones? ie. If it was something you really wanted to ride and were willing to wait til the end of the day to ride it using the wild card, could we book new ones as if we'd used up our first three? Or would it be better to just use it right away and try to keep getting more so we're not locked out if FPs all day?
Yes, the wild card replacement does prevent you from booking additional FPs until after you have used it. Happened to us.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom