Fastpass Newbie

aprilshan

Original Poster
So the last time I was at Disney World was many eons ago, and there were no fast passes. I have read all the posts about how they work, but I still have one main question... Do I have to run around the parks to use them effectively. With a 3 and 5 year old, I don't want to be running ahead to get fast passes, but I also don't want to be waiting in a line for an hour either.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
No, you don't have to rush around, and frankly obsessing about Fast Passes isn't really required.

The easiest way to "fast ride" a ride is to do it right before closing or during a fireworks show. I've done Sourin' and Peter Pan this way many times.

The only issue is, you can't use this tactic at Hollywood Studios or Animal Kingdom, but you can use EM hours for these parks.

Most often the kid and I use fast passes as an aside, a convenience, not a driver, of our visit.

litaljohn

the only time I think I've ever used fastpass was for soarin. but I do highly suggest it. to me there's nothing worth waiting sometimes as long as three hours for. (unless they eventually cave to my letters and emails and put Bon Jovi in place of Aerosmith at Rock N Roller Coaster, then totally worth it)

I don't think it works to great to plan a day around fastpasses but it certainly helps allow you to see a "can't miss" attraction you really want to do but can't take the line for.

Weather_Lady

You don't need to run ahead. When you enter an area of a park later in the day (e.g., Adventureland in the Magic Kingdom), pick up a fastpass for the closest headliner (e.g., Jungle Cruise), and then "kill time" until it's time to use it, by visiting the nearby attractions with less of a line (Aladdin's Magic Carpets, Tiki Room, Pirates, Swiss Family Treehouse) until it's time to use the Fastpass. Almost all of the major attractions have a few nearby that are far less traveled. For Splash and Big Thunder Mtn., there's the Country Bears, Tom Sawyer Island, the Hall of Presidents and Haunted Mansion... etc.

The only exceptions would be attractions that, by fairly early in the day, would already be giving you Fastpasses with return times several hours away (e.g., Toy Story Midway Mania, Soarin', Peter Pan), meaning you would have to "run ahead" to get a Fastpass if you wanted to use it within a reasonable time. Those attractions are the ones you'll want to plan to visit first thing after park opening, or last thing before closing.

Pooh Lover

I will normally get a FastPass for a long line ride, which will usually have a return time of maybe an hour or two. In the mean time, we take in a few of the no wait or short wait rides or maybe eat lunch. It works pretty well once you get used to it.

Brickcity Pauly

I would get a FastPass for some of the longer lines you'll encounter, like Space Mountain (and all other MK 'mountains'), ToT, RNRR, Toy Story Mania, Soarin', Expedition Everest, etc.

Get the FP and then just ride some of the other stuff in the area. It IS great to be able to get on some of those rides in 10 minutes, instead of waiting in 90 minute lines. It can really help maximize your day.

DfromATX

I have a fast pass question. I know how to use them, but do any of you know if we can still use them in June? (That's when we're going.) I'm a little confused about the new system. Maybe they're not related at all, I'm not sure.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I have a fast pass question. I know how to use them, but do any of you know if we can still use them in June? (That's when we're going.) I'm a little confused about the new system. Maybe they're not related at all, I'm not sure.

Not sure I understand? Are you asking if you can use old fastpasses? If that's the case, then no, you can't.

gooftroop5

So the last time I was at Disney World was many eons ago, and there were no fast passes. I have read all the posts about how they work, but I still have one main question... Do I have to run around the parks to use them effectively. With a 3 and 5 year old, I don't want to be running ahead to get fast passes, but I also don't want to be waiting in a line for an hour either.

With a 3 year and 5 year old you will probably be able to use the Rider Swap as well. This works the same as a fastpass but it is good all day! Have you heard of the Rider Swap?

When you are traveling with a child who is not yet tall enough to ride a ride one (or more) of the people in your party ride the ride and you can get a Rider Swap so the adult who is waiting with the child can ride later using the fastpass line. Things to remember....you need to approach the Cast Member as a group so they can see the child and give you the Rider Swap. Also as many as 3 people can use the Rider Swap at a time. So if your 5 year old is tall enough for a ride he/she can go with mom and then use the Rider Swap and go with dad ANY TIME the rest of the day as there is no time limit on Rider Swaps. The Rider Swap is only available at attractions with height restrictions. Just ask a Cast Member. They will give you all the "rules".

Susan Savia

There's only a few rides that we use FP's for.....Test Track in Epcot, Buzz in the MK, Toy Story in HS and the Safari in AK. Other then that, we just take the attractions as they come.

Zipadeelady

You don't need to run ahead. When you enter an area of a park later in the day (e.g., Adventureland in the Magic Kingdom), pick up a fastpass for the closest headliner (e.g., Jungle Cruise), and then "kill time" until it's time to use it, by visiting the nearby attractions with less of a line (Aladdin's Magic Carpets, Tiki Room, Pirates, Swiss Family Treehouse) until it's time to use the Fastpass. Almost all of the major attractions have a few nearby that are far less traveled. For Splash and Big Thunder Mtn., there's the Country Bears, Tom Sawyer Island, the Hall of Presidents and Haunted Mansion... etc.

The only exceptions would be attractions that, by fairly early in the day, would already be giving you Fastpasses with return times several hours away (e.g., Toy Story Midway Mania, Soarin', Peter Pan), meaning you would have to "run ahead" to get a Fastpass if you wanted to use it within a reasonable time. Those attractions are the ones you'll want to plan to visit first thing after park opening, or last thing before closing.

This is the way to do it @aprilshan!

JonUWStout

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought they were doing away with fast passes and going to a new system.

Fast pass + is coming but I dont think it will be here in time for your trip in June. Fast Pass + makes it so you can reserve fast passes on line or through your smart phone. I don't think its anywhere near operationaly ready that they would roll it out everywhere before your trip. I think you will be safe.

All Disney All The Time

No way will FastPass+ be up and running by June. Not this June anyway.

We are huge FastPass users, there are a ton of things to see and do while you are waiting for your FastPass time window for whatever ride you have chosen. And we also take advantage of the Single Rider lines which frequently are as fast as FastPass. The world doesn't come to an end if we end up going on a ride separately. Lots of times we still end up sitting together.

bethymouse

We use fast pass mostly so we get a chance to ride the ride twice. We get a FP for TT, Soarin, TSMM ( if available), Splash, BTMRR, EE... We generally do the "stand by" line and then ride again later.;) Of course, we're early EM hours folks, so we're able to manage FP that way a bit better. Sometimes we don't even need to use it!:D Good luck and have fun with it!:D

DfromATX

Fast pass + is coming but I dont think it will be here in time for your trip in June. Fast Pass + makes it so you can reserve fast passes on line or through your smart phone. I don't think its anywhere near operationaly ready that they would roll it out everywhere before your trip. I think you will be safe.

Thanks, that's what I was wondering about. I just couldn't remember what it was called. I'm glad it'll still be around when we go.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom