Fastpass 3

Max Smart

Original Poster
I'm sorry, I don't want to be blunt here, but, there is absolutely nothing in that post that isn't exactly the same, except better, then the old FP or is absolutely untrue.

1. Old FP required you to use a specific window and you didn't even get to have a choice. Not real spontaneous!
2. Exactly the same no matter what the system.
3. Certainly does. You decide what your first park will be. Set up for Fastpass for that time frame, and then park hop and "attempt" to get others for your new location when you get there. Park hopping before almost always got you to the next park after the old FP's had run out.
4. Actually works exactly the opposite of that and you aren't making second trips to those areas to get a FP. You know where your locations are and plan easily around it.
5. Not really months, but, who would set up FP's and not use them. What would be the purpose. It actually insures that most people will be in a certain park on a certain day. You have to use the first three before you get others.
6. How is that different then arriving at a park the first time and not knowing where things are and having to find them to get the old FP. You are no better off with that then just planning for what rides you might like. Then all you have to do is ask a direction, everything else is the same.
7. Actually a whole lot easier because it informs you of what things you want to do overlap each other and allows you to change one or the other to fit in with what you want to do.

Sorry, but, unless you are thinking about back when you got a FP and they allowed you to use it whenever you wanted, there is no advantage to the old way. That happened by accident and was changed at least a year before FP+ came out. It was never meant to work that way to begin with, they just got lazy and let it happen.

Under the old system, our experience was we show up at 9am and see a 60 minute wait for a ride, get a fastpass that's within the next hour or so. I did notice that sometimes the 60 minute wait had a 75 or 80 minute fastpass, which I suspect was because they put a limit on the number of fastpasses for a timeframe (they actually told me this was the case) - never did I see it offer a 30 minute fastpass for a 60 minute wait. Now I get sent over to a kiosk which tells me I can get on that ride at 9pm tonight, or maybe sometime next week. BUT IF YOU READ WHAT I SAID, I AM PROPOSING A NEW SYSTEM IN WHICH YOU GET A FASTPASS THAT HOLDS YOUR PLACE IN LINE, SO PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE STOP ARGUING THAT THE OLD SYSTEM DIDN'T DO THIS BECAUSE IT IS COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT, AND IF ANYTHING, MAKES A STRONGER CASE FOR MY PROPOSAL. I understand that some people have learned how to game the system for their benefit at the expense of the other visitors and feel very angry and threatened when someone tries to propose a new system, but please direct criticism at the new proposal. Let me get you started: I theorize that they set the limit on the number of classic Fastpasses in a timeframe to address these problems:

1. They realized that their public spaces, stores, restaurants, bars, etc didn't have the capacity to suddenly have everyone waiting in line to be shifted there. Some suckers need to be boxed up in line like cattle, at least until they increase capacity in the alternative places to wait.
2. If there isn't a supply of people standing-by, the ride could potentially go idle if the FastPass-holders don't arrive at a uniform rate - which could happen regularly due to a fireworks show, parade, etc. Downtime=lost capacity.
3. If you don't allow the FastPass line to build up by allowing some StandBys through, the StandBy lane could be stuck non-moving for hours. Too many FastPasses could = Fastpass lane turns into long wait just like Standby.

The balance to maintain an adequate queue of standbys would have to happen by offering an incentive to wait in line/disincentive to FastPass:
1. A time-penalty for FastPassing - increase the penalty incrementally if the line is too short, or decrease it if the line is getting too long.
2. Another source of people to fill the Standby queue is those whose FastPass is tied up on another ride.

Another mistake I think they might have made was not correctly calculating the impact of outstanding FastPasses when calculating Standby time.

Ariel1986

BUT IF YOU READ WHAT I SAID, I AM PROPOSING A NEW SYSTEM IN WHICH YOU GET A FASTPASS THAT HOLDS YOUR PLACE IN LINE, SO PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE STOP ARGUING THAT THE OLD SYSTEM DIDN'T DO THIS BECAUSE IT IS COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT, AND IF ANYTHING, MAKES A STRONGER CASE FOR MY PROPOSAL.

Jeez, calm down. And unless you work for Disney- and quite high up- you're not proposing anything. Your proposal is what is irrelevant here.

CaptainAmerica

Under the old system, our experience was we show up at 9am and see a 60 minute wait for a ride, get a fastpass that's within the next hour or so. I did notice that sometimes the 60 minute wait had a 75 or 80 minute fastpass, which I suspect was because they put a limit on the number of fastpasses for a timeframe (they actually told me this was the case) - never did I see it offer a 30 minute fastpass for a 60 minute wait. Now I get sent over to a kiosk which tells me I can get on that ride at 9pm tonight, or maybe sometime next week.
That's complete and utter BS. You're completely clueless about how the old system worked and you're completely clueless about how the current system works. Judging by your post count and the fact that you seem to have no insight to offer on any subject other than this one, I suspect you're either trolling or a young teenager. Maybe both.

Max Smart

Original Poster
That's complete and utter BS. You're completely clueless about how the old system worked and you're completely clueless about how the current system works. Judging by your post count and the fact that you seem to have no insight to offer on any subject other than this one, I suspect you're either trolling or a young teenager. Maybe both.
Usually it's the young teenager trolls who attack the poster rather than discuss their ideas in an intellectual manner.

Max Smart

Original Poster
Jeez, calm down. And unless you work for Disney- and quite high up- you're not proposing anything. Your proposal is what is irrelevant here.
I'm not proposing it directly to Disney through this forum, no. But I'm proposing it to fellow customers for their feedback and analysis. What is supposed to happen is that you all review my idea, and either argue that it is good, or argue reasons why it wouldn't work, or work as well as the status quo. What's not supposed to happen is that I get a bunch of flames saying I'm not as accomplished a Disney World customer as you, so how dare I make a suggestion. All these responses have given me insight on is why democracy is failing us here in America...

CaptainAmerica

Thanks for another deeply insightful response. Thanks for speaking on behalf of all Disney customers, as you are clearly qualified and authorized to do.
Nobody here agrees with you. They just don't feel the need to respond because I've pretty much covered it.

d07z3.gif

Goofyernmost

All these responses have given me insight on is why democracy is failing us here in America...
What is really failing here is the typical American to understand that Democracy is a system of government not a mandate for public control over everything. Private enterprise is free to do whatever they want as long as they aren't depriving people of their rights to exercise their own prerogatives. In this case use it or don't... I doubt that they care at all.

I am still confused as to what you mean by holding your place in line. Isn't that what a FP does automatically? Do you mean that walking up to an attraction and the wait time is 60 minutes that you should then be given a time to come back in 60 minutes and voila they let you in? What if thousands of people want that same time? Wouldn't that cause a problem? Like the old days, you have a window so you don't have to wait in line, but, if you want to be admitted in 60 minutes all you have to do is get in the line and wait it out with the rest of the peasants.

Don't get me wrong... I hate FP in any form, but, it's there and I have to live within its restrictions and, in my mind, being a long time Guest and having seen the formation and reformation of the FP's system this one works the best that I have seen. It's easy, it let's you do the decisions early on so that when you are there all you have to do is look at what time you should be to an attraction and it's done. No running around, no deciding while on the run. My opinion for sure, but, no one has been able to give me either a reason why it not better then what was there or do not have a feasible way to explain what they would do better and how they would make it work.

Last edited:

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I prefer the old system. It worked GREAT for me and my family at Disneyland this past trip in January... Although I am quite happy I got a fastpass for Radiator Springs Racers RIGHT at park opening. There was a line for fastpass about a half mile long at 10:00 AM and when I got my fastpass, it was due at 2:00 PM... Which was fine. Because that was the only ride in the entire park with a long wait.

I also got to get a fastpass for California Screamin and Goofy's Fly School... Which I got to walk right on right when I got my fastpass! I miss the old version... It was much better.

DarthVader

Sith Lord
I don't see the advantage of this hybrid system - sorry op.

I don't see how you can marry the old system and the new system together without causing more lines, more headaches and more frustration. For instance, I get a FP+ for 7DMT for 7:00pm because people before me beat me to the punch - now only the end of the day is only left. Now someone walks up to the machine and gets one for 11:00am and I see that, but I'm locked out because my magic band prohibits another FP+

You cannot have a ticketed system handing out Fps and an advanced reservation system working together and expect the ticketing system to give people advantages and basically penalizing people for doing what Disney wants you to do, i.e., reserve your Fast Passes in advance of your trip.

Myth Maker

I sorta wish they created more of a bridge between the old fastpass system and the new one.

A simple way to accomplish this would of been to place magic band readers at the old fast pass distribution points with the earliest available time listed above it (just like the old system). A user can just scan their band to make a reservation if they have any fast passes remaining. A receipt printer could even print a receipt if requested with the time on it for those who tend to be forgetful.

Tech savy users can use the app or a kiosk to make reservations across the park.

I think the reservation points that make you have to decide you whole day can be very overwhelming to people, especially those that aren't as familiar with technology. Also there is no itinerary print out for them to take with them.

danyoung56

I'd say the average guest doesn't know you need a Fastpass. Or what one is. Or how to get one.

I think this might be true for the first timers. But how is it possible for people to see hundreds of other people zipping by them in the line and NOT be curious as to how that worked? If, after their first visit, they don't find out how the FP system works, then their bad time waiting in line is on them.

CaptainAmerica

I think this might be true for the first timers. But how is it possible for people to see hundreds of other people zipping by them in the line and NOT be curious as to how that worked? If, after their first visit, they don't find out how the FP system works, then their bad time waiting in line is on them.
My guess is that those people assume Fastpass is something you have to pay extra for like most of the other "skip the line" systems at other theme parks.

Goofyernmost

In my experience, after listening to people in the standby line, the overwhelming majority were aware of it, but thought it cost extra to get them. There was a lot of anger against the snobs that could afford to cut the line. :) I tried a few times to tell people that they were free, but, just got scowls from them and muttering about how that wasn't true. So I stopped. If they believe it, who am I to tell them otherwise.:grumpy:

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
In my experience, after listening to people in the standby line, the overwhelming majority were aware of it, but thought it cost extra to get them. There was a lot of anger against the snobs that could afford to cut the line. :) I tried a few times to tell people that they were free, but, just got scowls from them and muttering about how that wasn't true. So I stopped. If they believe it, who am I to tell them otherwise.:grumpy:

So annoying it's like why would I lie to you?!?! :banghead::banghead::bored:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom