Farewell.....I told you folks months ago that this would happen.

DOUG

Original Poster
Today has been a very sad day for me....I found this on an animation website....when they cut back on Burbank I posted that Florida would be closed in four years (the amount of time to produce one animated cartoon)........people said it wouldn't happen.......the truth hurts sometimes..............

Thanks Mr. Eisner..........................:(

From LA Times/Orlando Sentinel (front Page of the Sentinel):

Disney Decides It Doesn't Want 'A Few Good Ghosts'
Shutdown of animated film project raises doubt about future of the firm's studio in Florida.

By Claudia Eller, Times Staff Writer

Walt Disney Studios halted production Friday of its long-troubled animated project "A Few Good Ghosts," raising questions about the fate of the company's Orlando, Fla., animation facility and its staff of some 258 artists who were working on the project.

Disney's animation president, David Stainton, confirmed Friday that the movie was being shut down and that "over the next six weeks we are going to examine all our options going forward," including shuttering the Florida studio.

"By January, we hope we'll have a more concrete plan for the [Orlando] studio," said Stainton, declining to elaborate further.

The potential closing of the facility reflects management's desire to streamline its ranks and focus its production resources at its Burbank headquarters.

Walt Disney Co. recently laid off 50 animators in Orlando, closed its Paris animation studio and shuttered its animation unit in Tokyo, laying off more than 100 employees. In all, Disney has slashed more than 700 jobs in recent years, leaving the company with a total of about 900 animation workers, including those in Orlando.

To try to rein in escalating production and labor costs, Disney also has sliced animators' salaries as much as 50%.

Disney, which pioneered the art of hand-drawn animation, has been trying to creatively reinvigorate the high-profile unit at a time when audiences seem to have shown a preference for cutting-edge 3-D computer-generated movies over traditionally drawn cartoons.

Stainton and others in the animation business downplay the importance of which technique is used to create cartoons. Audiences, they say, respond to great stories and characters.

Point in fact, the traditionally animated "Brother Bear," a tale about an American Indian boy who is transformed into a 7-foot grizzly, is performing well at the box office, grossing more than $51 million since its wide release two weeks ago.

Still, Stainton has acknowledged that Disney's animation slate will be heavily dominated by computer-generated or mixed-media projects.

"A Few Good Ghosts," a combination of computer animation and traditionally drawn 2-D human characters, went into production this summer. It would have been the fourth feature produced entirely at the Florida studio, the others being Disney's "Brother Bear," "Lilo & Stitch" and "Mulan."

There is no other project in production or development in Orlando, where in 1989, 70 artists were assigned to an animation showcase attraction at Disney-MGM Studios.

Stainton, who was in Orlando on Friday morning to announce to the crew that production of "A Few Good Ghosts" was being shut down, sent out an e-mail Friday to employees at Disney Studios in Burbank explaining the decision.

"The fundamental idea is not strong enough or universally appealing enough to support the kind of performance our movies must have today," the e-mail said.

"A Few Good Ghosts," a project that has undergone several title changes since its inception, has long been troubled. In February, shortly after he took over Disney's struggling animation operation and he and Walt Disney Chief Executive Michael Eisner saw a story reel, Stainton pulled the project back to have it retooled. But ultimately, Stainton said that "despite the best efforts of the crew, the fundamental idea was not working."

The story is about two star-crossed lovers reunited by a family of ghosts who inhabit the bodies of folk-art dolls.

Orlando Sentinel staff writer Tim Barker contributed to this report.

CTXRover

Don't give up hope that the Florida Studios will stay open. It is true that Disney is streamlining their animation department. And with flops like Treasure Planet and few recent films coming directly out of their own animation unit being hits, something has to be done. After the Lion King era, Disney got a little cocky, I think. They over-expanded and animators got paid way more than ever before, driving each film's cost up and up while the BO revenue for each film kept going down and down. Something had to be done.

Now I don't think for one second the Florida Studio should ever close. With Brother Bear doing reasonably at the BO, the Florida Studio is now three for three with successes. Not to mention both Chris Sanders and Dean Debois from Lilo and Stitch and the creators of Brother Bear have both been re-hired for new jobs at the Studio. I do see the Studio possibly being downsized until Disney can get their animation unit back in gear though. Don't forget, the Florida Studio started small with just featurettes being made before becoming a stand alone studio making full-length films. Just because their one movie the entire studio was currently working on is now gone, does not mean that a new project won't get started. At least they stopped making a film that didn't have a strong storyline before it was released. That has been the major fall in Disney animation, a loss in story. Hopefully this signals a greater focus on story-telling.

As for the animation tour being rehabbed, this has no affect on decisions to keep or close the animation studio. It is a separate attraction that doesn't necessarily need people always working inside. As long as something is being animated there, as simple as short TV cartoons, the tour will be unaffected.

TURKEY

Originally posted by DOUG
Today has been a very sad day for me....I found this on an animation website....when they cut back on Burbank I posted that Florida would be closed in four years (the amount of time to produce one animated cartoon)........people said it wouldn't happen.......the truth hurts sometimes..............

Thanks Mr. Eisner..........................:(

Stainton, who was in Orlando on Friday morning to announce to the crew that production of "A Few Good Ghosts" was being shut down, sent out an e-mail Friday to employees at Disney Studios in Burbank explaining the decision.

"The fundamental idea is not strong enough or universally appealing enough to support the kind of performance our movies must have today," the e-mail said.

"A Few Good Ghosts," a project that has undergone several title changes since its inception, has long been troubled. In February, shortly after he took over Disney's struggling animation operation and he and Walt Disney Chief Executive Michael Eisner saw a story reel, Stainton pulled the project back to have it retooled. But ultimately, Stainton said that "despite the best efforts of the crew, the fundamental idea was not working."

The story is about two star-crossed lovers reunited by a family of ghosts who inhabit the bodies of folk-art dolls.

How many projects usually go on at a time in Florida? One or multiple?

Besides, based on what the story is to be about, it doesn't sound like a good basis for a movie anyway.

DOUG

Original Poster
I realize that the closure of the Florida studio doesn't seem like a possibility, but it definitely is. Animation is unlike most jobs that most real people have.....fact is....once your project is either finished or shelved....you are unemployed. Disney has stated in the past it's desire to bring it's animation division all under one roof and Disney doesn't have any other features lined up that are traditional and that's all that Florida is capable of handling. All of the animators, that have been asked to stay, were asked to learn how to animate on computer. They sold all of the traditional animation desks in Burbank (a sign of perhaps things to come) and all the current projects (excluding the finishing touches on Home on the Range) are 3D. Both Chris Sanders and Glen Keane have cartoons is development....they will direct each project and though Glen argued with his superiors about the films medium.....he lost. The once to be 2D "Rapunzel Unbraided" will now be 3D.....not quite what Glen is best known for. Disney is no longer focusing its animation division on 2D animation and that leaves no reason for Florida to remain open. As for TV animation, I learned this the hard way......all animation for television is shipped to.............Austrailia. There is no actual Disney TV animation done in the states...only character design, story and storyboarding are done in the US and they already have a happy home in California, I don't think Disney would waste the money shipping that department to Florida. This was something I picked up from AWN - a site dedicated to animation of all kinds....the moderator of the forum is a well known animator that has worked for all of the major companies at one point or another......

F.Y.I -

For those of you who have been following the self-destruction of Walt Disney Feature Animation .......... the other shoe dropped in Florida . Despite blather in the article about "examining options" most of the remaining staff realize that the most likely option is
shutting down the Florida studio entirely . There are no other feature projects in the development pipeline . The lead time on developing an animated feature is at least one year . For them to roll over onto a new production at this point something would have had to be in the story development pipeline since the beginning of this year, but there is nothing .

The feature division has been in a downword spiral for years...there was nothing Lilo & Stitch or Brother Bear could do to save that studio.....most worth while animators in Orlando have been asked to relocate to L.A. - the others.............you can guess. I'm sorry.....but the writing for all traditional animators was on the wall when the all-powerful Michael Eisner said that "2-D was dead".

I knew that most of you wouldn't believe me but I live, eat and breathe animation.....it is and always will be my dream....I pay very close attention to what is happening in it's world while I do my freelance work here in PA. My dream was Disney but when they are letting people like John Pomeroy go....things are in big trouble (oh wait, he did John Smith, the Firebird in Fantasia 2000 and numerous other major characters in the past so many years films). Most of the information I get is from people in the animation field...I am actually going to check with the union that the animators are with to see if they have any additional information.

DOUG

Original Poster
Here's another article....this one coming from Steve Hulett. He is a union rep for the MPSC839...the union that all the major studios animators fall under..........be sad.......these are truths to be told...not Disney deceptions......... :brick:

posted November 17, 2003 08:48 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was privileged to be outside Disney' Southside Building at ten o'clock this morning when Mr. Stainton addressed the troops. He said, "First the good news. BROTHER BEAR beat that awful Warner Bros. Looney Tunes feature this weekend..."

Nobody applauded.

Then Mr. Stainton got down to business: he said that he and Senior managemtn had shut down "My People/A Few Good Ghosts" at the Florida studio the previous Friday because, while the crew had done "a fantastic job" revamping the story, management no longer believed in it. (A few weeks ago, according to studio sources, management had told "A Few Good Ghosts" director and crew that "thay had a movie.")

In response to a question, Mr. Stainton said that the Florida crew would be "baseball traded" for future projects and that the company wanted to retain Florida crew members. (This didn't jibe with what Florida staffers said about management encouraging them "to go look for other work."

There's this from a Floridian's e-mail:

"It was quite a weekend. On Friday, David Stainton flew in and announced that they were shutting down the production... He said it wouldn't work overseas and that they wouldn't be able to make any money on it. SO all contracts were void and they said to go home for the holidays and they would decide the studio's fate by January..."

--------------------
--
_ _________________________________________________________________ _
Steve Hulett Business Representative
Motion Picture Screen Cartoonists & Affiliated Optical Electronic
and Graphic Arts, Local 839 IATSE
4729 Lankershim Boulevard phone (818) 766-7151
North Hollywood, CA 91602-1864 fax (818) 506-4805
http://www.mpsc839.org
shulett@mpsc839.org
:brick:

NowInc

As one of the many people Disney Laid off in the past years..I can tell you this is to no big suprise to me. DONT READ THIS WRONG THO. This doesnt mean the death of either Disney Animation, or 2D animation. Its simple budgeting. And from what I hear..that movie was a stinker anyway :x

WDWspider

Cancelling one film means having enough smarts to pull out before you bomb. Nothing more. Disney needs to go back to pacing theirselves and only releasing quality again. Enough with the sequels and knocking Animated Features out left and right.

What was Disney thinking with Teacher's Pet btw. :lol: :brick:

prberk

Even while Walt was busy envisioning EPCOT and other huge, future projects, he took the time to solve story problems and reinvigorate production of "The Jungle Book."

He did not abandon animation, but he recognized the value of solid story and artist inspiration. It needed attention. And when it was all said and done, he know that this simple, pure art was the lifeblood of the company.

That is still the case. It may have gotten out of focus, but it is still the life of the company. Story is king; and the department needs some encouragement beyond budget. When the inspiration is there, the story comes... and money follows.

When stories are conceived simply as a marketing plan, or by committee, as seemed to happen lately, they suffer... and ultimately so does the art.

I believe we need to stop all the sequels and low-grade TV, and give the animators room to dream and have fun again. Then it shows on screen... and you reap the rewards over and over and over..... from screen to Broadway and back.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom