Fantasyland Expansion

D

Deleted member 107043

I'm right there with ya, dude.

And it's weird because I've always been a fan, but it's just too much.

The abundance of online video construction updates have really squashed my enthusiasm for SW:GE. I've purposely stopped watching them and cooled down on SW:GE news so I can have some surprises to look forward to. I feel like I already know too much about it and we still have a year or more to go before it opens.

Curious Constance

The abundance of online video construction updates have really squashed my enthusiasm for SW:GE. I've purposely stopped watching them and cooled down on SW:GE news so I can have some surprises to look forward to. I feel like I already know too much about it and we still have a year or more to go before it opens.
Once the details start coming in I'll be more interested in seeing it. I obsess over any changes made in Disneyland lol but the construction is boring to me to watch.

nevol

So much potential in fantasyland and tomorrowland for expansion and reprogramming. The 80s fantasyland still works, but once SW:GE opens, the park's east end will really be showing its age. Looking forward to MMRRW but I might prefer it at DCA? Same with toontown though, preferring european-based fantasylands to american, given that Main Street and Frontierland (and NOS, and Critter Country, and TL?) are American lands. but they wont be moving toontown to dca anytime soon. While superficially, Mickey's Toontown makes the most sense for MMRRW, I also kind of love the idea of the theater entrance being the Main Street Cinema, where guests can view mickey shorts or jump in line to ride their own mickey short. Land constraints obviously a factor in that.

Even with MMRRW taking over toontown or some expansion area, I think they still have enough room to leave everything that is there and add a beast or frozen village where the fantasyland theater and motorboat cruise areas are. Altogether, fantasyland has a lot of underutilized space and potential.

Last edited:

habuma

Truthfully it's a mite disappointing that Toontown may stay. In fairness, I was already too old for it when it was built, but even so these days it's a shadow of its original design. I'm always amused to see that the roller coaster is still themed to Rescue Rangers. I think a lot of people stick up for it due to the fear of Roger Rabbit's eventual demise. I won't be thrilled to see the ride go, yet it seems like the sole reason the land limps along and in a park that's short on space there is so much that could be done with the area.

In its current form, Toontown is far from my favorite land. And the many decades that have passed since I appeared on this planet has me a bit too old for most of the "attractions" in the land. But I'd be hesitant to bulldoze it.

If I were in charge (and what follows will explain why I'm not in charge), I'd be keen on expanding Toontown. While I enjoy Mickey and the Magical Map, I'd be okay with demolishing the theater and moving Toontown's entrance closer to "it's a small world". Put the runaway railway attraction in some of the land reclaimed from the theater and then use the rest of the space for a relocated Mickey's house, Minnie's house, and the corresponding M&Gs. In the space currently occupied by Mickey and Minnie's house, as well as the go-coaster and the treehouse, I'd like to see a new family-coaster that is perhaps not the same scale as 7DMT in MK, but of the same quality. As for Roger Rabbit, I'm mostly indifferent on the attraction. If it stays for the RR fans, that's fine...but I'd rather see a different dark ride in that space that is themed around one of the Fab Four or Chip & Dale (since I took out their treehouse earlier in this paragraph). I'd also like to see more roaming characters such as Pete or Clarabelle to give the space a feel like it really is a place where toons live.

If all of that were to happen (and it likely never will), then that space would still be a proper homage to Disney's original characters *and* be a place where adults and children alike will enjoy.

Rich T

Weird how Frozen and Marvel feel oversaturated in the parks despite only having a combined total of one ride.
Disney has made "Let it Go" the new "Under the Sea"'-- Cramming it into every available piece of park entertainment to the point where the song has lost all meaning, impact and whatever genuine joy it once provided.

And, for me, Disney has CGI'd Marvel to the point where I cannot work up any emotion for those characters or their "epic battles" at all.

Rich T

In its current form, Toontown is far from my favorite land. And the many decades that have passed since I appeared on this planet has me a bit too old for most of the "attractions" in the land. But I'd be hesitant to bulldoze it.

If I were in charge (and what follows will explain why I'm not in charge), I'd be keen on expanding Toontown. While I enjoy Mickey and the Magical Map, I'd be okay with demolishing the theater and moving Toontown's entrance closer to "it's a small world". Put the runaway railway attraction in some of the land reclaimed from the theater and then use the rest of the space for a relocated Mickey's house, Minnie's house, and the corresponding M&Gs. In the space currently occupied by Mickey and Minnie's house, as well as the go-coaster and the treehouse, I'd like to see a new family-coaster that is perhaps not the same scale as 7DMT in MK, but of the same quality. As for Roger Rabbit, I'm mostly indifferent on the attraction. If it stays for the RR fans, that's fine...but I'd rather see a different dark ride in that space that is themed around one of the Fab Four or Chip & Dale (since I took out their treehouse earlier in this paragraph). I'd also like to see more roaming characters such as Pete or Clarabelle to give the space a feel like it really is a place where toons live.

If all of that were to happen (and it likely never will), then that space would still be a proper homage to Disney's original characters *and* be a place where adults and children alike will enjoy.
Nice ideas. I wouldn't mind seeing a 7DMT that starts in the Go Coaster area and actually runs partially through Storybook Land-- as long as Casey Jr. stays. But I cannot imagine a good dark ride based on Chip n' Dale unless Disney reboots Rescue Rangers.

Rich T

I also kind of love the idea of the theater entrance being the Main Street Cinema, where guests can view mickey shorts or jump in line to ride their own mickey short.
Neat, but then where would all the emo AP teens hang out to look all artsy-rebel?

habuma

Nice ideas. I wouldn't mind seeing a 7DMT that starts in the Go Coaster area and actually runs partially through Storybook Land-- as long as Casey Jr. stays. But I cannot imagine a good dark ride based on Chip n' Dale unless Disney reboots Rescue Rangers.

I realized after I wrote that, the area I proposed for a 7DMT-like coaster (I never said themed the same...just that caliber of coaster) is really way too small. You could do something like Go-Coaster, but bigger...but probably not enough space for something in the same league as 7DMT...unless...The show-building for the coaster shared space with the runaway railway building...bi-level perhaps. Could work with a little ingenuity.

As for Chip & Dale dark ride: I could easily see some storyline where C&D are tormenting Donald and/or Pluto in some way and you're chasing them through various scenes in the story. I even picture a finale scene where projections and/or screens are blended with physical props to give the illusion that they've dumped an enormous cache of acorns all around you. Maybe even have the ride vehicle shake a bit as the virtual acorns "hit" it. (I don't have the full story, but I see that as a potential ending.) Even then, C&D was just a thought...could be anything.

TROR

Disney has made "Let it Go" the new "Under the Sea"'-- Cramming it into every available piece of park entertainment to the point where the song has lost all meaning, impact and whatever genuine joy it once provided.

And, for me, Disney has CGI'd Marvel to the point where I cannot work up any emotion for those characters or their "epic battles" at all.
Quips during what should be an emotional scene and constantly bringing back people from the dead certainly don't help either.

Ismael Flores

i have always thought that they could do something similar to 7DMT but in DCA. I think that if they re-aligned the walkway that leads from Soarin to grizzley they could really add a good footprint for a small family coaster.
Instead of having the walkway curve right against grizzley drop move it so that it goes north/west under the monorail track then curve south.

The attraction can have plenty of rockwork and greenery to make it look like an extention of grizzley area. They can even extend the track a bit so that it is elevated and behind the restroom and shops with a curve at the eastern side near the shop. They can even get a little imaginative and have a small section of the track themed to a wooden bridge that goes over the geyser area of grizzley.
Even better they can use the ride system that they used for Casey junior train in Paris and theme the small coaster to a train ride and add a few small animal aa's.

This would add a nice mountain themed family ride to the area since right now Grizzley has two major rides that have height limits which causes groups of family members to wait around while the older sibling ride Soarin and grizzley.
They really need to start thinking about using the under utilized areas of the park to fill in attractions. I know there are areas of the park that need help but DCA has an issue in the afternoon and evenings when most of Paradise Pier closes for WOC and Grizzley empties out because of the weather and water feature. The kids play area is also great but also shuts down as soon as sun down and creates another mpty area of a park desperately in need of more attractions.

for visual here is a quick redraw of the area and i marked a possible area for a small attraction

grizzley.jpg

nevol

i have always thought that they could do something similar to 7DMT but in DCA. I think that if they re-aligned the walkway that leads from Soarin to grizzley they could really add a good footprint for a small family coaster.
Instead of having the walkway curve right against grizzley drop move it so that it goes north/west under the monorail track then curve south.

The attraction can have plenty of rockwork and greenery to make it look like an extention of grizzley area. They can even extend the track a bit so that it is elevated and behind the restroom and shops with a curve at the eastern side near the shop. They can even get a little imaginative and have a small section of the track themed to a wooden bridge that goes over the geyser area of grizzley.
Even better they can use the ride system that they used for Casey junior train in Paris and theme the small coaster to a train ride and add a few small animal aa's.

This would add a nice mountain themed family ride to the area since right now Grizzley has two major rides that have height limits which causes groups of family members to wait around while the older sibling ride Soarin and grizzley.
They really need to start thinking about using the under utilized areas of the park to fill in attractions. I know there are areas of the park that need help but DCA has an issue in the afternoon and evenings when most of Paradise Pier closes for WOC and Grizzley empties out because of the weather and water feature. The kids play area is also great but also shuts down as soon as sun down and creates another mpty area of a park desperately in need of more attractions.

for visual here is a quick redraw of the area and i marked a possible area for a small attraction

View attachment 260961
I think "a mystic manor type" could fit where the challenge trail is, but maybe that's optimistic on space.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom