Fantasmic vs. Fantasmic

stitchcastle

The Mickey on the mountain scene at MGM is just pure magic, i tear up everytime I watch that part. And the last part of the Pocahontas segment that leads to the Princess medley is just so emotional.

meanwhile...

The Mark Twain lighting up with all those disney characters on it in the original version...WOW!

but I gotta say...

I love playing the "name the disney movie" game during the bubble sequence in WDW.

in conclusion....

I love WDW's better, it's more familiar to me than DL's with all the more recent movies. honestly though, I'd kill to have The Mark Twain and Peter Pan segments from DL.

maxime29

Premium Member
DL has the better show scenes with Peter Pan. Honestly, I don't see much in the Pocahontas substitute at WDW. Peter Pan has more emotion since it was one of those movies I saw as a kid IMO. The villian depictions are better at WDW though. The location at the studios is also better than DL's version. Not sure if capacity is the same for both shows.

shoppingnut

PamelaNiebergal said:
The sound of some of these posts make Fantasmic in WDW sound like a terrible show. I agree that it is not as good as Disneyland's. The Peter Pan sequence there is one of my favorites. On the other hand, by comparing the two, it seems that WDW's version may not get the credit it deserves. On its own I think it is an amazing show, absolutely not to be missed. I cry each time I watch it. Disneyland's is better but WDW's (IMO) is not the boring, embarrassing disaster that some have made it out to be. It shocks me that anyone could not like this show.

I totally agree with you. And as far as getting out of the theatre at WDW, that's no picnic either. There is something more impressive about the show when you are sitting on the floor.

steamboat_will

I saw the DL version a few years ago and the WDW version this past Feb. I agree that the WDW version doesn't get the credit it deserves and too many of these posts seem to focus on the minor nitpicky problems with disney attractions.

Either version of this show would simply not happen at any other park. This is an uniquely Disney experience, and regardless is a great show.

To answer the original question, I like the presentation of the WDW (theatre, seats, and the better aligning of picture and action) but I really was disappointed that the Peter Pan portion was not present. As for the final steamboat, it is wrong to say it looks like something from Home Depot, as it was probably built to look like the boat from the movie. For someone who has never seen either show, I would suggest seeing the WDW version as it is much easier to appreciate the entire experience, and not have to worry about crushing a small child. Purists will insist on the DL version, but I would say the WDW for the first timers.

xfkirsten

I think my biggest problem with the Steamboat Willie at the end of WDW's version is simply the scale. Whereas DL's Mark Twain feels larger than life, WDW's Steamboat Willie just seems to be a little spot floating in a big amphitheater. It just doesn't fit in with the scale of the rest of the theater.

askmike1

Yeah, but it's but it's from Steamboat Willie. The steamboat is supposed to be a smaller ship. Mark Twain is a ferry/riverboat. I don't remember, but is Steamboat Willie even in DL's? If not, than that's another reason why WDW's is better. Steamboat Willie is such a rarely seen character, and to see him like he was in the movie is great.

-Michael

xfkirsten

The character? Yup, he's the one "piloting" the Mark Twain here at DL. True, it's supposed to be a smaller ship, but IMHO it just doesn't work theatrically in this case to make it so small.

ToTBellHop

steamboat_will said:
I saw the DL version a few years ago and the WDW version this past Feb. I agree that the WDW version doesn't get the credit it deserves and too many of these posts seem to focus on the minor nitpicky problems with disney attractions.

Either version of this show would simply not happen at any other park. This is an uniquely Disney experience, and regardless is a great show.

To answer the original question, I like the presentation of the WDW (theatre, seats, and the better aligning of picture and action) but I really was disappointed that the Peter Pan portion was not present. As for the final steamboat, it is wrong to say it looks like something from Home Depot, as it was probably built to look like the boat from the movie. For someone who has never seen either show, I would suggest seeing the WDW version as it is much easier to appreciate the entire experience, and not have to worry about crushing a small child. Purists will insist on the DL version, but I would say the WDW for the first timers.
I agree that people should see the wdw version first, but for different reasons. I think it is a far lesser version, but still amazing, so I was very pleased that I got to see it first, which wowed me, and then I headed to Disneyland to see their version, and it was even more impressive. I feel like I would have been let-down if I saw DL's first, then WDW's. The seating area at MGM is very nice (and absolutely impossible to build in the middle of the Magic Kingdom), but it creates a necessary distance from the show. Excepting the final scene on the mountain, everything at MGM is on a smaller scale than is seen at Disneyland, which is quite different from everything else that is found at both DL and WDW, and an odd choice. The fact that there is no seating at DL allows guests to get closer to the show than you generally do at MGM, and since it is a bigger show, anyway, you feel like you are in the show, not watching it. As for actual show content, I think the water screens are very kewl, but they become less novel after the first 5 minutes they have been used at MGM, while they are not nearly as overused at DL. The choice to use Pocahontas seems very strange to me, since I don't think it was nearly as good of a film as Peter Pan, and it wasn't an overly popular film (I think it was the beginning of the end for good quality animated films by Disney...I long for the days of The Lion King...), and why can't they get torches that don't go out on the canoes? It doesn't seem like Disney at its best when all of the torches blow out if the windspeed is over 5 mph...the only thing I particularly like more about MGM's show is the finale, since the mountain is very neat, but if you aren't down front in the amphitheatre, in the splash zone, the mountain doesn't feel THAT much taller than the building Mickey stands on in the end of DL's Fantasmic!...

askmike1

ISTCNavigator57 said:
why can't they get torches that don't go out on the canoes? It doesn't seem like Disney at its best when all of the torches blow out if the windspeed is over 5 mph
The torches are supposed to go out between midway and the end (when the switch back to the Settlers). I love how in the Pocahontas scene, when the Natives are on you can hardly tell the Settlers are up there too (and same when the Settlers are on).

-Michael

mwhitney

Disneylands Way better

Having seen Fantasmic for the past 11 years- Disneyland's is hands-down superior in nearly every way. This says nothing to disparage the work or the imagination of the WDW attempt. Just that they shouldn't have bothered. You can't touch the sailing ship Columbia or the Riverboat- and the musical elements added at the beginning al la light jazz just kill the WDW show- as well as the Pochahantis reference. It just doen'st "work" in WDW. They need to use the Amitheatre for something different- something that belongs only to WDW. Fantasmic will always belong to DL.

Matt

Fantasmic Freak

Hello! New member here...

I was a CM at the Fantasmic in WDW. I used to watch it every night (voluntarily) because I loved it so much. I have seen it over 100 times. It is so hard for me to imagine that the show could actually be better in any way. From what I hear it looks like I need to get myself to DisneyLand soon!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom