Fantasmic Dinner Package

Bodyfather

Original Poster
...was thinking about booking in either Hollywood Brown or Hollywood and Vine, which would the experienced wdw goers recommend?
Also, is the package on the whole worth it? How much better of a spot do you get for the show?

DisneyMusician2

The package is definitely worth it, I've done it myself. I'd go with Brown Derby, its a touch more expensive, but I think the quality of the food is better than Mama Melrose or Hollywood and Vine. It really is an up-front viewing spot, and you get to avoid the line, which with kids especially is a big plus. It also means you don't have to waste a FP so late in the day on preferred seating!

Last edited:

CaptainShortty

Brown Derby and Hollywood & Vine are very different experiences so it's hard to say which one you would enjoy better without knowing your preferences. What type of dining experience are you looking for?

And overall I think the package is worth it but not 100% necessary, especially if you've seen Fantasmic before. They do give you the prime middle seats now so that helps with you not having to get there early to snag a good seat. Additionally, if you're going during busy time it will make sure that you don't get shut out of the show.

Gaston's gal

We are huge fans of Mama Melrose. Not sure what everyone in your party likes to eat, but the pasta is fabulous and they have pizza and spaghetti & meatballs for the little ones. The Fantastic Package is well worth it. It saved us the 2 hours we usually sit to reserve a seat.

Chef Mickey

I'm going to go against the grain here about the dinner package in general. I'm curious if others have started feeling this way.

My issues with Fantastmic Dinner package are: The restaurants you are forced to choose, the timing of your meal, and the "new" seating area for dinner package guests.

I think 50s Prime Time is the best food in the park, but they don't allow the dinner package at this restaurant. I do like Hollywood and Vine's buffet, but it's overrun with kids and seemingly much worse than Crystal Palace in terms of organization and order.

Usually, you have to eat at some ridiculous time like 4pm or 3pm. I understand why the do this (Don't want you to almost miss a 7pm viewing if you're eating), but it always throws my whole day's eating schedule off.

Furthermore, they have simply allowed too many guests into the "reserved" seating area for dinner package guests. It's so watered down now, you actually get a worse seat than if you just walk up at times. These seats are not really "center" anyway, so the seats aren't special to start with.

True Story: I actually did the Fantasmic Dinner Package and once we got there, my wife and I elected to leave that area and find our own seat. It worked out better to sit in general admission because it was so packed in the dinner package viewing area.

My advice is to get there late and sit on the far ends. They are usually wide open and you can get a front row seat. You are not "center" but you can easily see all of the action and have your own projector. I'm not saying sit on the very end corner, but the theater has a ton of good seating that isn't dead center.

If you don't listen to me, I'd eat at Mama Melrose (although it's not great) or Hollywood and Vine (but it's like a zoo in there). I do think Hollywood and Vine has the best food of the 2. Brown Derby is very average.

KLinder7

I'm trying it for the first time this week. Usually just go to the 2nd show but this Thursday there is only a 7pm. Biggest thing to overcome is eating at 4pm but since I'm getting up at 4am to catch a flight it might work out to have an early dinner.

Rodb

I'm going to go against the grain here about the dinner package in general. I'm curious if others have started feeling this way.

My issues with Fantastmic Dinner package are: The restaurants you are forced to choose, the timing of your meal, and the "new" seating area for dinner package guests.

I think 50s Prime Time is the best food in the park, but they don't allow the dinner package at this restaurant. I do like Hollywood and Vine's buffet, but it's overrun with kids and seemingly much worse than Crystal Palace in terms of organization and order.

Usually, you have to eat at some ridiculous time like 4pm or 3pm. I understand why the do this (Don't want you to almost miss a 7pm viewing if you're eating), but it always throws my whole day's eating schedule off.

Furthermore, they have simply allowed too many guests into the "reserved" seating area for dinner package guests. It's so watered down now, you actually get a worse seat than if you just walk up at times. These seats are not really "center" anyway, so the seats aren't special to start with.

True Story: I actually did the Fantasmic Dinner Package and once we got there, my wife and I elected to leave that area and find our own seat. It worked out better to sit in general admission because it was so packed in the dinner package viewing area.

My advice is to get there late and sit on the far ends. They are usually wide open and you can get a front row seat. You are not "center" but you can easily see all of the action and have your own projector. I'm not saying sit on the very end corner, but the theater has a ton of good seating that isn't dead center.

If you don't listen to me, I'd eat at Mama Melrose (although it's not great) or Hollywood and Vine (but it's like a zoo in there). I do think Hollywood and Vine has the best food of the 2. Brown Derby is very average.

i agree. We got there a little early and we pushed like cattle into a certain section. The middle section was roped off for later arrivals (like ourselves: using the package). I noticed if we arrived later; we could of been more in the center and not rubbing up against everybody for 30- 40 mnutes. Another thing to keep in mind is that there are no backs to the seating benches; so prepared if you get back problems for long periods of sitting without support. Mama Melrose actually worked out well for us since they had a much later dinner time than the others

sandheichert

Not sure why mama melrose gets a bad wrap. We loved it when we used to for our Fantasmic Package. And now that the seating for the fantasmic package is in the middle it is a great deal!

Chef Mickey

i agree. We got there a little early and we pushed like cattle into a certain section. The middle section was roped off for later arrivals (like ourselves: using the package). I noticed if we arrived later; we could of been more in the center and not rubbing up against everybody for 30- 40 mnutes. Another thing to keep in mind is that there are no backs to the seating benches; so prepared if you get back problems for long periods of sitting without support. Mama Melrose actually worked out well for us since they had a much later dinner time than the others
Agree...they herd you in there and basically force you to "fill in all the available space." This ends up meaning you are essentially told where to sit and it's the luck of the draw where you end up depending on arrival time.

We will be doing the Fantasmic dinner package for the first time in April. It will also be our first time dining at Mama Melrose. I'm glad to see some people were happy with MM's. The reviews seem to be 50/50 though. We are really doing it for the preferred seating so.... what will be will be. I have a question for those of you who have done the Fantasmic package. How early should we arrive at the theatre? Keep in mind that it will be the 8:00 show on April 6th (the day after Easter), so we do expect a large crowd. Sorry, I don't mean to hijack this thread!

JohnD

Doing a quick analysis, let's say you want to eat at HBD and are deciding between dinner package or regular reservation, the cost is pretty much a wash. So, go with Fantasmic dinner package if the show meets your schedule.

Here's why: The Fantasmic package includes an appetizer, entree, dessert and non-alcoholic beverage for $56.99.

By contrast here is a sample menu if ordering the least expensive item in each category:

If Cobb Salad is Appetizer (wash: either regular table service or dinner package)
  • Appetizer: Cobb Salad: $9.00.
  • Entree: Noodle Bowl: $29.00
  • Dessert: $9.00
  • Non-alcholic drink: $8.00
  • Total: $55
If Cobb Salad is Entree (better deal if deciding on table service only)
  • Appetizer: Greens or Bique: $11
  • Entree: Cobb Salad: $16.00
  • Dessert: $9.00
  • Non-alcoholic drink: 8.00
  • Total: $44
You're on your own with alcoholic beverages. I recently had acute pancreatitis. So no alcohol for me for a while. The fringe benefit is all the savings I'll achieve from not ordering any alcoholic beverages!

diosraw

I also love Mama Melrose. The package is very good and affordable by anyone. Appetizer, Pizzas,desserts all are available at low cost so i love all of Mama Melrose.

Tom 55

I have tried them both. Brown Derby is more upscale but there was nothing wrong with Hollywood and Vine. You get the seating right in the center. To the right is fast pass seating and to the left is all other.

Attachments

• IMG_0072.JPG
    IMG_0072.JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 52

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Isn't H&V a character meal? Can you use the dining plan for the fantasmic package or do you have to pay out of pocket?

Absolutely can use the meal plan for the Fantasmic package! (I have that booked for my trip in 3 weeks!) In my opinion, it's a great use of a table service meal on the plan! We even got a reasonable time (5:35 pm)!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom