Fans vs. IPs - what gives? (I apologize if it was brought up before)

slappy magoo

There have always been elements of IP in WDW, it would be impossible not to have an influence from IPs throughout. But when they attach an IP to an attraction, whether the attraction is brand new or retrofitted to shoehorn the character in, they risk the atraction of seeming even more dated than just a "classic" ride if the IP doesn't stand the test of time as much as classic attractions, whether they're based on an IP (like Peter Pan's Flight and feel free to argue Peter's not Disney's IP) or not (like Space Mountain).
And IMHO (and it could only be mine), it's harder for more movies to come across as timeless, because a: so many of them are sequels and reboots, and b: there are sooooooo many more movies. The sheer volume of major studio product coming out every weekend is ridonkulous, to say nothing of the minors, the indies, the streaming networks dipping their toes in the water and winning Oscars right out of the gate. It's rare for something brand new to get the audience's attention, and grow and become a thing of its own. To develop more attractions that are not reliant on whether or not people will remember or love the movie it's based on 10 years from now? That should be freeing for the Imagineers to create new mythologies, new wholly unique stories you can only experience on the ride. But I feel like as far as the synergy between theme parks and movies go, the animation departments are actively trying to create IPs that would work within the parks. Which will always be great if the movie works, if the characters click. But if they don't?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom