Family Trip Planning- Spring Break?

whiterosered

Trying to plan a trip to WDW in 2015 with my parents, brother, and husband. My family has never REALLY had the full Disney experience. By that, I mean they've never stayed in a Disney Resort, have never been on the Dining Plan, and have only been to two of the parks. My husband and I have had the "full" experience I just defined and both of us have had it more than once. We both know this is the true way to do Disney. So, we're taking my whole family on this experience. We already know we're staying at POFQ, and we know we're doing the dining plan. The only thing we don't know is when. I'm a teacher and my brother is not only in college, but works for the college he attends, so being able to go at just any point in the year is not really an option. Christmas is COMPLETELY OUT OF THE PICTURE. I've been during Christmas and it was wayyyy too crowded for my taste. Would not do that again. I've been during Fall Break and that wasn't awful. I would do that again if I had to. We would also be willing to go the last week of May, but I noticed the price for the DDP goes way up during that time of the year.

I'm really leaning towards spring break. I'm from the midwest, so Spring Break for us is typically the third week in March. Many years ago, my family went to Disneyland during Spring Break and it was wonderful but I also know that was many years ago, not to mention a completely different side of the country. So I guess I'm just wanting to know, how bad is WDW during SB?

RedDad

Smitty Werben JagerManJensen
SB can be the most crowded time of year, depending on when Easter falls during the year. Easter will be early again in 2015 (4/5 - similar to last year). Last year the crowds during spring break were horrendous because of that. We are planning on going during our spring break in 2014, but only because Easter is much later this time (4/20), and our spring break is the 1st week in April (compared to most others much earlier in March).

Late May, on the other hand, is usually great crowd-wise, depending on when most schools get out. There are several sites out there that predict crowds, although it may be a bit early for 2015. We went the first week in June this year and the crowds were no problem. I would steer clear of SB in 2015.

Upvote 0

KLeigh

Yes, stay away from SB if you can. My family went for spring break once back in the mid/late 90's and it was bad back then. I can only imagine it's more crowded now.

I agree with @RedDad - use the crowd predicting sites/apps to help you find a more manageable time of year to go. While it might be early for 2015, you can use 2013 and 2014 to get an idea. It has helped us avoid large crowds on our vacation last year.

Happy planning!

Upvote 0

Wikkler

How many days are you going?

Here's a handy dandy chart for everything based on your days:
  1. Magic Kingdom
  2. Epcot
  3. Hollywood Studios/Animal Kingdom
  4. Hollywood Studios/Animal Kingdom
  5. Break day
  6. Magic Kingdom
  7. Epcot
  8. Any other Orlando park

Last edited:
Upvote 0

deanaandrich

Spring break is bad- very bad. Locally schools get out mid May and start back up the first or second week in August (although we can't predict 2015 yet). If you have a fall break during the month of September, that would be the least crowded.

Upvote 0

whiterosered

Original Poster
Well thanks for your answers, everyone! Wasn't exactly the answer I was hoping for, but it will have to do. :)

On a side note, does anyone know why the dining plan price jumps up as high as it does at the end of May? It's almost a thousand dollars difference from March!

Upvote 0

whiterosered

Original Poster
How many days are you going?

Here's a handy dandy chart for everything based on your days:
  1. Magic Kingdom
  2. Epcot
  3. Hollywood Studios/Animal Kingdom
  4. Hollywood Studios/Animal Kingdom
  5. Break day
  6. Magic Kingdom
  7. Islands of Adventure
  8. Epcot
  9. Universal Studios
  10. Any other Orlando park
Oh, wow, thanks! We're not planning on going to US or IOA this time. Don't get me wrong, we've been and it's great.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
@RedDad hit the nail on the head. Spring break can be the best time for people that are bound by school schedules to go to WDW. It will hinge on your spring breaks dates proximity to Easter. If your spring break is the week before or after Easter, you can all but guarantee huge crowds.

Another time period to look at will be early June and late August. Most schools do not let out until the second or third week of June and most schools are back in session before the third week in August. If your school is slightly different than the norm on either of those dates that would be a good window as well.

Sadly, the heat will be oppressive on all open times save for Christmas and even late December does not give you the guarantee of cooler weather.

Upvote 0

ratherbeinwdw

Trying to plan a trip to WDW in 2015 with my parents, brother, and husband. My family has never REALLY had the full Disney experience. By that, I mean they've never stayed in a Disney Resort, have never been on the Dining Plan, and have only been to two of the parks. My husband and I have had the "full" experience I just defined and both of us have had it more than once. We both know this is the true way to do Disney. So, we're taking my whole family on this experience. We already know we're staying at POFQ, and we know we're doing the dining plan. The only thing we don't know is when. I'm a teacher and my brother is not only in college, but works for the college he attends, so being able to go at just any point in the year is not really an option. Christmas is COMPLETELY OUT OF THE PICTURE. I've been during Christmas and it was wayyyy too crowded for my taste. Would not do that again. I've been during Fall Break and that wasn't awful. I would do that again if I had to. We would also be willing to go the last week of May, but I noticed the price for the DDP goes way up during that time of the year.

I'm really leaning towards spring break. I'm from the midwest, so Spring Break for us is typically the third week in March. Many years ago, my family went to Disneyland during Spring Break and it was wonderful but I also know that was many years ago, not to mention a completely different side of the country. So I guess I'm just wanting to know, how bad is WDW during SB?
If you thought Christmas was crowded, then don't do sb. We went the first week of April this year, and the crowds were horrible. I can't even express just how bad it was. We had to go that week because of the schedule of the person who went with us. We never would have chosen that week. Our favorite times are first and second weeks of May, second week of Sept, first or second week of Dec. We've also done June. It was hot and crowded, but not packed. Whatever you do, if you have a choice, don't go the week before or after Easter.
One good thing about middle May to early June is Star Wars Weekends. We caught it several times on the very first day. Crowds aren't nearly as bad as later in the month.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom