Pre-Trip Family Return to WDW - Take 2

As some of you may recall, we were supposed to return to WDW in July of 2020. It would have been the first time the whole family has set foot on property since December 2017 and it was going to be a surprise for our girls. Check in day was supposed to be July 11th, the same day the parks started reopening, but I had no desire to be part of the reopening process. So, we canceled and wound up going on a road trip that took us from TX through AR, TN, NC, GA, AL, MS, and LA. If you think that sound crazy, you should see the map of the trip I want to do this summer!

I'm going to try and break the PTR down section by section rather than just through it all out there. I don't know why, but I'm choosing to start with...

LODGING
In any event, we pushed our WDW plans to February and made it one big family planning event. Seriously, we probably watched 50 resort room videos and I was still left to decide on the winner. I wasn't even sure what was going to be open, but the finalists were 1. a studio villa at the Poly 2. a Lion King suite at AOA (this was the decor they liked best) or 3. connecting rooms at CBR. And this is where it gets kind of crazy.

This is what I picked for our lodging...
1609866103013.png

(not my picture)

Yes, it's a Poly studio villa, but don't get too excited...I didn't stick with these plans. I was already off to a bad start when my parents opted to go with the GF, since they do not care for the Poly. When the Poly construction was announced and I realized monorail service to Epcot probably still wasn't going to be a thing in February, I decided to go big. The kids were bothered about no rain style shower, but we're getting one installed in our master bath at home...so, they'll get over it!

1609866239517.png

(also not my pictures)

So, I switched us to a 1 bedroom villa at OKW. I know...it wasn't on our list! I wasn't optimistic about bus service or boat service resuming to Disney Springs, but this is going to be a road trip, so having my vehicle and all of this space for the price seemed like a great option. The kids were a little bit sad because they like being MK area, but when they saw the size of the room, they quickly came around to the idea and really liked the jetted tub. We had one in our old house and recently put one into their renovated bathroom, so they've become quite the bath and shower connoisseurs. The only thing...I wasn't sold on it and had plans to change if a decent discount was offered to get us into a 1 bedroom at BWV. If it were for a regular resort room I'd be all over BC, but I don't like the BCV decor as much. Sure, YC was an option, but after our 2012 stay, I was asked to skip it for future trips. BWV also seemed like a good plan for getting to HS to try and get a RotR boarding pass (before they changed the process to 7am).

1609866763451.png

(definitely not my picture)

I was actually a little bit late to the game when discounts hit. I mean, it was still probably same day, but I wasn't ready at the crack of dawn. Consequently, the phone wait time was 2+ hours (heard it was more like 4). I couldn't spend my whole work day waiting on hold with Disney, so I did what I've found in the past to be the easiest thing to do. Book a whole new reservation and then cancel the first one. Sure, it's a game of deposits, but it's better than sitting on hold. In the end, it was still more than a discounted villa at OKW, but everyone seems happier with the location. In fact, my parents...who did not make the shift to OKW with me, were good with BWV and also booked a 1 bedroom there for themselves. Sounds like it was cheaper than their room at the GF. I had thought about upgrading to a 2 bedroom at OKW instead, since many of you know about my husband's snoring, but BWV seemed like the better option...and I'll just try and cram an air mattress into the room so I can sleep in peace! Oh, and while this also didn't make the list, this was where we were supposed to stay over the summer...well, in regular room. So, it's kind of fitting.

This also gave me a chance to have some fun with my younger daughter...the one who hates clowns. 🤡

I had told her that Luna Park's slide was under construction and nobody knew what was going to happen with the clown. When the end results were revealed (which are really kind of blah, IMO), I decided to play a trick on her and show her a pic from a previous trip. I told her that the clown was just refreshed and is open for business.

8225894120_abb778b6bc.jpg

(This is my picture!)

At first, she got all mad. When I showed her the actual renovation updates with the new school Mickey and friends, she was not a fan and said they should have kept the slide! Wow! And that's coming from a serious clown hater!

Coming up...I discuss dining and cake possibilities, the who's and what's kind of stuff, and some other little things.

ladydi

One final thing where I could use some thoughts and suggestions. I know, really last minute...right?

We are getting the kids Visa gift cards for their parent free time in the parks. These are well fed kids, and obviously, we have a lot of meals planned, but we figure they may want a snack or two during the day, or even a fun drink (non-alcoholic). So, it's not like they are going to be completely fending for themselves with food each day. I was initially thinking $50 per kid, but my husband was thinking $100 per kid. My 14 year old freaked out and thinks she's going to starve. She even explained to me that Disney food is expensive :rolleyes:😒 Our park time boils down to about 4.5 days, and I don't see them being away from us for all of it, since there are going to be some things we'll want to do together. Plus, with the exception of our Epcot day, we're looking at at least 2 TS meals a day, which include them.

What do you think? Too much, just right, or not enough?
I would think $50 should be enough. You could get a couple of extra cards that they don’t know about in case they blow through the whole amount the first day.

My kids in their late teens did the park on their own one night while Mom and Dad went to California Grill. MK had extra hours until 12. They were back at the hotel sleeping while we closed down the park.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I would think $50 should be enough. You could get a couple of extra cards that they don’t know about in case they blow through the whole amount the first day.

My kids in their late teens did the park on their own one night while Mom and Dad went to California Grill. MK had extra hours until 12. They were back at the hotel sleeping while we closed down the park.

Mine are real night owls, so I don't know if they'd do that, but I also fear them being like Harry Potter in the first movie where he bought everything on the snack trolley. 🤣 I'd like $50 worth of cupcakes and another $50 of cookies.

Songbird76

One final thing where I could use some thoughts and suggestions. I know, really last minute...right?

We are getting the kids Visa gift cards for their parent free time in the parks. These are well fed kids, and obviously, we have a lot of meals planned, but we figure they may want a snack or two during the day, or even a fun drink (non-alcoholic). So, it's not like they are going to be completely fending for themselves with food each day. I was initially thinking $50 per kid, but my husband was thinking $100 per kid. My 14 year old freaked out and thinks she's going to starve. She even explained to me that Disney food is expensive :rolleyes:😒 Our park time boils down to about 4.5 days, and I don't see them being away from us for all of it, since there are going to be some things we'll want to do together. Plus, with the exception of our Epcot day, we're looking at at least 2 TS meals a day, which include them.

If they are going to be with you for two TS meals per day, $50 seems reasonable....that's $10 per day, which will pay for one or two snacks, depending on what the snack is. And if they won't be on their own all the time, will they need multiple snacks in the hours they aren't with you? Or you could split the difference and do $75 per kid....or are you looking at this for souveniers and such, too? If it's JUST for snacks, I think $50 is fine, $75 if you aren't sure...but if it's for souveniers, too, $100 might be more realistic. But then, my kids have never been by themselves at Disney, so they've never had to buy their own snacks, and I think they each spent like 10 bucks on souveniers last trip...A got a light up BB8 keychain and I don't know if E even bought anything. Are your girls shoppers? And do you expect them to pay for their souveniers with their own money? Do they usually get money from you to spend on vacation? We gave the kids each 50 bucks and they didn't spend nearly all of it, but like I said, they weren't on their own, so they didn't have to buy food.

KellBelle

Just my 2 cents.. I would do $100 each. My friend did that for her 2 kids on our last trip and they got a few good snacks and a couple sodas out of it. I know no one here needs to be told how expensive things are there, but stuff really does add up fast.

How about a Disney gift card and if any is left, it can be put towards the room or a good final dinner?

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
If they are going to be with you for two TS meals per day, $50 seems reasonable....that's $10 per day, which will pay for one or two snacks, depending on what the snack is. And if they won't be on their own all the time, will they need multiple snacks in the hours they aren't with you? Or you could split the difference and do $75 per kid....or are you looking at this for souveniers and such, too? If it's JUST for snacks, I think $50 is fine, $75 if you aren't sure...but if it's for souveniers, too, $100 might be more realistic. But then, my kids have never been by themselves at Disney, so they've never had to buy their own snacks, and I think they each spent like 10 bucks on souveniers last trip...A got a light up BB8 keychain and I don't know if E even bought anything. Are your girls shoppers? And do you expect them to pay for their souveniers with their own money? Do they usually get money from you to spend on vacation? We gave the kids each 50 bucks and they didn't spend nearly all of it, but like I said, they weren't on their own, so they didn't have to buy food.

It's the souvenir factor that has my husband leaning towards $100. They do usually get some spending $ each trip, but it's often the last day of the trip and they still haven't spent any of it because they've seen so many good things and don't know what's best. My parents are also right near one of the Character Warehouse locations, so we have so much parks gear from her buying there on deep discount. In light of that, I have no idea what kinds of merch they might buy.
Just my 2 cents.. I would do $100 each. My friend did that for her 2 kids on our last trip and they got a few good snacks and a couple sodas out of it. I know no one here needs to be told how expensive things are there, but stuff really does add up fast.

How about a Disney gift card and if any is left, it can be put towards the room or a good final dinner?

I was originally going to get Disney gift cards, but I think they want to use any leftover to spend at home. We'll probably opt for $100 each just to be safe, but I don't think they need any more either.

RememberWhen

$50 might be low. If they get an actual meal that can be $15, plus popcorn, ice cream, more popcorn, fancy coffee drinks. I could blow $50 on snacks in a couple days. $100 seems easier (not having to stress about not having enough).

MickeyCB

If you are staying on site can they just charge to the room with an understood and agreed upon budget?
If they are out and want something that exceeds that they have to txt you for permission?

Or you could try something we started doing when our kids were similar ages to yours. I got tired of the "can I have that" routine and so I talked my husband into giving them (I think it was $300 cash) for a weeks stay at the beginning of the trip. This was before cards or bands existed.
That was for any souvenirs they wanted. My husband thought I was nuts, but it was interesting to watch them.
"Mom can I have that"? My response, "do you have money left". And it was fascinating how many things they didn't buy when it was their money they were spending. That year they went home with cash in their pockets!

kk0311

If you are staying on site can they just charge to the room with an understood and agreed upon budget?
If they are out and want something that exceeds that they have to txt you for permission?

Or you could try something we started doing when our kids were similar ages to yours. I got tired of the "can I have that" routine and so I talked my husband into giving them (I think it was $300 cash) for a weeks stay at the beginning of the trip. This was before cards or bands existed.
That was for any souvenirs they wanted. My husband thought I was nuts, but it was interesting to watch them.
"Mom can I have that"? My response, "do you have money left". And it was fascinating how many things they didn't buy when it was their money they were spending. That year they went home with cash in their pockets!
We have always done the same. With the agreement they could keep any left over money. (pre cards or bands) They would always come home with cash. I would always come home broke! 😂

Nina1969

100 each just for snacks sounds generous to me.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Hoping to start the TR soon, but wanted to share a final update to the magic band saga.

Our held mail was delivered yesterday. While we were away, the bands I ordered on Dec 8th were delivered...official delivery date was Feb 8th. I was wondering what I'd find for myself when I opened the box, since I wasn't alerted to any problem with my band until the reorder with only three bands. Well, wouldn't you know it...a plain gray band was shipped to me in that first box. No notification...no automatic refund...just sent me a plain gray band.

50939352538_be1a601f19_z.jpg

50940050206_4459dce68f_z.jpg

50940156127_982c40be0d_z.jpg

(Odd that it lists the 8th when there was a mail hold and it was put in the mailbox on the 12th)

Assuming we don't lose power from this insane winter weather that's going to be hitting our area, be on the lookout for an official TR in the next couple of days. :)

Swissmiss

Premium Member
That’s so odd that they would just substitute your special band with a plain gray one without indicating a « sorry, the Magic Band you ordered is no longer available » or something of the sort.

Looking forward to hearing about the trip.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
That’s so odd that they would just substitute your special band with a plain gray one without indicating a « sorry, the Magic Band you ordered is no longer available » or something of the sort.

Looking forward to hearing about the trip.

Yeah, the fact that they sent me a plain gray one and then nothing in the replacements, with no mention of any of this still has me bothered.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom