Family of 5 in All Stars?

button409

Original Poster
Hi all, looking for help and advice. I have visited WDW many times but not for 6 years, and the trips were all pre-kids. We have just booked flights from the UK for January 2020 as they were a bargain - yay! Super excited but looking for advice from those who have stayed at a Value recently. We are coming for 14 nights with our 5,3 and 1 year old children. Our budget sadly means we cannot stretch to a moderate, nor can we afford a suite in the value resorts. My question really is, what are the All Stars like? It currently coming up a few hundred pounds more expensive to stay at Movies (I assume due to the refurb), and I'm wondering whether its worth it? We will literally be only in the room to sleep at night, and possibly for an afternoon nap. I do like the look of theming of Movies, but the £300 difference would be money we could otherwise use for souvenirs.
Thanks in advance for any advice!

CaptainAmerica

Nobody will sleep. They party size isn't really the main issue, it's the age of the kids. A moderate wouldn't really help, as those rooms aren't much bigger.

Would cutting down to 8 or 9 nights allow your budget to expand to a villa at Wyndham Bonnet Creek, the Fort Wilderness Cabins, or a suite at Art of Animation? The upgraded accommodations will be much more valuable to your family than 14 nights. You can see all of the WDW parks in 8 nights, easily, even with early bed time and midday naps.

button409

Original Poster
We are travelling from the UK so with time difference and jet lag we really wanted the 14 nights so we can take things easy. Also, we did look at 10 nights but even then, 10 nights in a suite come in way more expensive. We visited Disneyland Paris before baby 3, when the eldest were 3 and 1 and they were so tired they slept pretty well.

belledream

Size-wise, you should be ok, especially for just shower and sleep. I personally wouldn’t pay extra for Movies if money could be used better elsewhere (food, souvenirs). The layouts/benefits of the resort are the same as Sports/Music.

CaptainAmerica

We are travelling from the UK so with time difference and jet lag we really wanted the 14 nights so we can take things easy. Also, we did look at 10 nights but even then, 10 nights in a suite come in way more expensive. We visited Disneyland Paris before baby 3, when the eldest were 3 and 1 and they were so tired they slept pretty well.
Huh? There's not really much jet lag flying West. You'll have jet lag when you go home.

Dr. Ludwig von Drake

Back when we had just three kids (up to five now) we often stayed in All Stars. Two to a bed, a lucky kid (the youngest) getting the floor. Blankets and sleeping bags made a nice comfy bed.

Plus, there are those special Disney moments for the floor kid who gets stepped on two or three times a night! Magical!

Dave B

For the reasons you stated, you will be fine. I would order a crib in the room.(Yes it will be tighter, but you are only sleeping there) Each of the adults split the bed with the kids to allow a little more space or have the kids sleep on the floor. You could pick up a cheap air mattress at Target for them to sleep on, or get a couple pool rafts for them to sleep on and then they can use the rafts at the pool as well. Have fun

Lew_sir

My family of 5 stayed in Pop Century (does that count as an All Star?) last November. The refurbed rooms were awesome with the Murphy bed option to open the room when not sleeping. As mentioned earlier, the main issue will be if all the kids will sleep with everyone being on top of each other. Put them to bed bone tired, so they drop right off!

J Pye

Also wait a month to see if Disney releases any offers for next year for the UK - they’re usually released in April/May. Value resorts like All-Stars get a free breakfast per guest per day but you can use this meal credit for any meal not breakfast. This could save you money on food.

button409

Original Poster
Also wait a month to see if Disney releases any offers for next year for the UK - they’re usually released in April/May. Value resorts like All-Stars get a free breakfast per guest per day but you can use this meal credit for any meal not breakfast. This could save you money on food.
Thanks- this is what we are hoping for, either a free dine or free nights offer. This would mean we could maybe afford to ‘upgrade’ to POP, or even a moderate resort 🤞🏻
We booked all star music last night, and the quick service dining plan, but the cast meneber said that if an offer does come out we can switch to that for a small fee.

Maddad

We’ve stayed at all-star music a few years ago with a family of 5. We did the same as you. Hit the parks and the pool hard and used the room to shower and crash. Our last trip this last summer we stayed at Caribbean Beach. The rooms were no different. Save the money and stay at the values. They are better themed. We asked the kids what they prefer and they would rather stay at the values.

Marianm

Hi all, looking for help and advice. I have visited WDW many times but not for 6 years, and the trips were all pre-kids. We have just booked flights from the UK for January 2020 as they were a bargain - yay! Super excited but looking for advice from those who have stayed at a Value recently. We are coming for 14 nights with our 5,3 and 1 year old children. Our budget sadly means we cannot stretch to a moderate, nor can we afford a suite in the value resorts. My question really is, what are the All Stars like? It currently coming up a few hundred pounds more expensive to stay at Movies (I assume due to the refurb), and I'm wondering whether its worth it? We will literally be only in the room to sleep at night, and possibly for an afternoon nap. I do like the look of theming of Movies, but the £300 difference would be money we could otherwise use for souvenirs.
Thanks in advance for any advice!

I stayed one night at All Star Sports two years ago with my husband and two kids (3&5 at the time). It was way too small for me for just one night. I can’t imagine two weeks in that room. But, if it’s what fits in your budget I’m sure you can make it work.
Do you have an interest in off site?

dodgr98

In the Parks
No
Have you checked into the family suites at All Star Music? It's basically two rooms that have been converted into one room. We stayed there in July and liked it. We had two bathrooms (hugely important) and two refrigerators which was nice for keeping our food. On our prior trip, we had two adjoining rooms at All Star Sports. We preferred the feel of the family suite at Music to the separate but adjoining rooms at Sports. My two sons and me preferred the theming at Sports to the theming at Music which my daughter and wife preferred.

button409

Original Poster
Have you checked into the family suites at All Star Music? It's basically two rooms that have been converted into one room. We stayed there in July and liked it. We had two bathrooms (hugely important) and two refrigerators which was nice for keeping our food. On our prior trip, we had two adjoining rooms at All Star Sports. We preferred the feel of the family suite at Music to the separate but adjoining rooms at Sports. My two sons and me preferred the theming at Sports to the theming at Music which my daughter and wife preferred.
Hi, yes we did look at this but it more than doubles the price which unfortunately isn't affordable for us :-(

toonaspie

Keep in mind only a certain number of rooms at All Star Movies have been refurbed (a mix of standard and preferred rooms) and whether you are guaranteed a refurbed room is uncertain. Those rooms have queen beds and a coffee maker but it will be a much tighter squeeze given your party. If your family can handle full size beds, I would save the money and stick with an old room.

Also the second queen bed in the new rooms is one you would have to pull down each night and might be to high for your kids to climb up. That is something to consider.

button409

Original Poster
Keep in mind only a certain number of rooms at All Star Movies have been refurbed (a mix of standard and preferred rooms) and whether you are guaranteed a refurbed room is uncertain. Those rooms have queen beds and a coffee maker but it will be a much tighter squeeze given your party. If your family can handle full size beds, I would save the money and stick with an old room.

Also the second queen bed in the new rooms is one you would have to pull down each night and might be to high for your kids to climb up. That is something to consider.
Thanks, we love the theming of movies, but Music is coming up cheaper for us - I actually called Disney to ask about Movies, as I assumed the extra cost was due to it being refurbed, but was told not all rooms had been done, and therefore we weren't guaranteed a refurbed room. I was advised that although I could request a refurbed room there was no guarantee this would happen, and the CM said if I would not be happy with an 'old style room' at Movies, then to book Music as its cheaper!

DisneyOutsider

This brings back memories.

My very first trip to WDW when I was 6 years old with our family of 5 (siblings ages 9 and 3). I don't remember a great deal about that trip, but I remember having a blast. I think if you can manage expectations and are not someone with a taste for luxury, then you guys will be fine. The children will sleep just fine.. they'll be exhausted.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom