Family (Attendant) Bathrooms

Goof-Man

Hi Everyone, It has been a while!

I am planning a trip for my family. My mom is now in a wheelchair and has difficulty in tight bathrooms. Having never looked for one, I could not tell you if they were there. So, are there family/attendant bathrooms available in the parks, if so, where would I find them?

P

JIMINYCR

Besides the w/c stalls in the regular bathrooms, there are bathrooms designated solely for w/c use. They are very large and easy to use. found throughout the parks, you can find them on the park maps. We found however on our last trip, many guests use these designated w/c accessible bathrooms with their children and many times I was waiting for them to empty out so I could help DW who is dependent on a w/c.

Upvote 0

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
Besides the w/c stalls in the regular bathrooms, there are bathrooms designated solely for w/c use. They are very large and easy to use. found throughout the parks, you can find them on the park maps. We found however on our last trip, many guests use these designated w/c accessible bathrooms with their children and many times I was waiting for them to empty out so I could help DW who is dependent on a w/c.

Yep Disney is awesome (minus the regular folks using them) with having the separate restrooms for this and the large oversized stalls in the regular restrooms. :)

Upvote 0

Minnie Mum

They are called companion bathrooms at WDW and are indicated on all of the park maps. While every regular bathroom will include HA stalls, they are often too small for wheelchair guests who need someone to assist them. And, of course, wont work if the companion is of the opposite sex.

It should be noted that the companion bathrooms are not intended solely for the use of wheelchair guests. They are also for single parents with multiple small children who don't want to leave them unattended while inside a stall, or opposite sex parents who don't want to take their little girl into the men's room (family bathrooms, if you will). They can also be used by companions assisting developmentally challenged adults with toileting and hygiene needs.

Because they are relatively few, compared to the number of regular stalls, it's not unusual that there is sometimes a wait for one. So don't wait til the last minute.

Upvote 0

21stamps

They are called companion bathrooms at WDW and are indicated on all of the park maps. While every regular bathroom will include HA stalls, they are often too small for wheelchair guests who need someone to assist them. And, of course, wont work if the companion is of the opposite sex.

It should be noted that the companion bathrooms are not intended solely for the use of wheelchair guests. They are also for single parents with multiple small children who don't want to leave them unattended while inside a stall, or opposite sex parents who don't want to take their little girl into the men's room (family bathrooms, if you will). They can also be used by companions assisting developmentally challenged adults with toileting and hygiene needs.

Because they are relatively few, compared to the number of regular stalls, it's not unusual that there is sometimes a wait for one. So don't wait til the last minute.
Last year at WDW my son was 6.. too old for the women's restroom. I allowed him to go in the men's onour first day. Kiddo has IBS and sometimes his potty breaks are lonnngg. That was one of those times.
I almost had a heart attack waiting.. from then on we used the family restrooms. Do the same at our local amusement park.

Upvote 0

Souvenir

Last year at WDW my son was 6.. too old for the women's restroom. I allowed him to go in the men's onour first day. Kiddo has IBS and sometimes his potty breaks are lonnngg. That was one of those times.
I almost had a heart attack waiting.. from then on we used the family restrooms. Do the same at our local amusement park.
I can understand that you got very nervous waiting for your son to come out, but I applaud you for thinking a 6 year old boy is too old for the women's restroom. I can't believe how common it is to see older boys (much older than yours) in the women's bathroom. I don't like that, especially because the older they are the more they seem to stare. I don't think it's a healthy experience for anyone. Then again I fully admit to being a bit of a prude. I'm so glad that family restrooms are becoming more and more common. I know they take up a lot of space but I wish they were everywhere and plentiful.

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

I have found most of the regular bathroom handicapped accessible stalls to be more than large enough for 2 people and a wheelchair, with the newer bathrooms having the most space.

Upvote 0

Driver

I can understand that you got very nervous waiting for your son to come out, but I applaud you for thinking a 6 year old boy is too old for the women's restroom. I can't believe how common it is to see older boys (much older than yours) in the women's bathroom. I don't like that, especially because the older they are the more they seem to stare. I don't think it's a healthy experience for anyone. Then again I fully admit to being a bit of a prude. I'm so glad that family restrooms are becoming more and more common. I know they take up a lot of space but I wish they were everywhere and plentiful.
Yeah also on the flip side I have walked into men's room and have seen a father with a daughter. And the men are taking care of business at the urinal while this little girl stares at....... well you know. Makes me feel uneasy so I will use a stall and if none are available I will walk out and find another rest room. To me that's just wrong, but at the same time if a dad is there alone with his daughter not sure what his options are.

Upvote 0

21stamps

There's many times when my son has to go asap, wasn't a problem when he was younger.. but the men's bathrooms do worry me. There's a lot of crazy people in this world. When 10 minutes goes by and my kid doesn't come out, scary thoughts go thru my head.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom