Fairy tale poll

WDWgrl04

Original Poster
Hi everyone. I'm new here my name ic Christine and im in Chicago. I got into a heated discussion in my english comp class ( in college for those wondering) and we got on the argument of Fairy tales. Saying that fairy tales teach little girls that they need to to depend on a man. So out of the discussion I got a homework assignment to write a paper explaining my argument. OK cutting to chase now lol. Well I was wondering what you all think. I could add the statistics into the paper.

So do you feel that fairy tales teach little girls that they need a man to rescue them ( a man to depend on)?

Oh and im sorry if this is in the wrong forum. Just didnt know where to put it. remeber im new.

Slipknot

To me a fairy tale is just a story. Nothing to learn from them, but a way to escape reality, like movies or books. Basically they are all the same thing. Entertainment. Not learning tools. Unless, of course, you are studying the grammer of the scripts...

Lauriebar

I believe fairytales portray an idealized life that almost everyone wishes for, whether they admit it or not. There is nothing wrong with a girl wanting to be treated as a princess any more than it is wrong for a boy wanting to be thought of as a strong prince charming.

On a side note:
Anyone ever noticed another thinly veiled theme in a lot of fairytales. With few exceptions it is a woman who causes most of the heroines problems in the first place! Without this woman's interference in the heroine's life there would be no need for a man to "save" her. Think of these examples: Cinderella-Evil Stepmother, Sleeping Beauty-Maleficant, Ariel-Ursula, Snow White-Wicked Witch... the list goes on.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I think fairy tales can be seen just as entertainment, but also as a teaching tool. I teach 7th grade an one of our units is on fairy tales and fables. What most of the kids get out of it is not that a woman needs a man to save her but we normally point out that there is a moral in the sotry somewhere. Like in disney's cinderella, since she was kind to people even when people were mean to her someone was kind back to her (like the mice).
It was an interesting point that the antagonists of the story are usually women too.

cru5h

well...the Little Mermaid teaches you that you can get married to a guy you've known for 3 days ;)

Other than that, I agree with Lauriebear's comment.

Lauriebar

cru5h said:
well...the Little Mermaid teaches you that you can get married to a guy you've known for 3 days ;)

Not such a bad lesson...I got married after 3 months...15 years ago!!

Also, let's look at Belle, she turned a Beast into quite a handsome, civilized man!! If that's not impowerment I don't know what is!!:lol:

DisneyFan 2000

cru5h said:

Other than that, I agree with Lauriebear's comment.

lol, but it's so romantic that it's acceptable! :animwink:

OliveMcFly

Let's put it this way...the only reason the guy saves the girl is because she lets him. LOL Anyways...in the end every girl finds her prince charming.

JMishy

cru5h said:

Unless of course you go back to the real story by Hans Christian Anderson where the prince marries the other woman and the Little Mermaid ends throwing herself into the sea.
:lookaroun

However, if we're talking about the Disney version of fairytales, I don't think it shows dependence on men. Just see Mulan or The Hunchback. Those are some independent women!
:cool:

rosebud's mom

The argument can also be made that fairy tales emphasize the importance of youth and beauty. Not only are the bulk of the villains women, they are MATURE women who are either outright labeled as ugly, or are insecure in their fading appearance.

Main Street USA

I think the fact that someone would worry that much about a ficticious story is ridiculous. Doesn't even matter what the issue is with the story. It's a story. Enjoy it. Don't enjoy it. Whatever. The political correctness crap has gone waaaaaaaay to far.

tigger248

Lauriebar said:
On a side note:
Anyone ever noticed another thinly veiled theme in a lot of fairytales. With few exceptions it is a woman who causes most of the heroines problems in the first place! Without this woman's interference in the heroine's life there would be no need for a man to "save" her. Think of these examples: Cinderella-Evil Stepmother, Sleeping Beauty-Maleficant, Ariel-Ursula, Snow White-Wicked Witch... the list goes on.

To further that, one could argue that they have a thing against mothers. In many of them, the mother is either dead or evil. But, I don't think that most children really consider that. I never really did until I was older.

I agree that fairy tales are just stories, and nothing more. I see nothing wrong with them. For one, the stories are make believe. Plus, every little girl (for example) enjoys these stories and likes being treated like a princess, even if just for a day. I grew up watching fairy tales and I am about as independent as can be.

Nansafan

Let's face it, fairy tales are just plain scary. Evil trolls, wicked witches, evil step-mothers, wolves eating grandmothers, it's enough to give a kid nightmares. And let's take a look at a few, Hansel and Gretel, kids eating a woman's house, terrible manners and their part and then they kill her by shoving her into the oven. Sleeping Beauty: Malificient, she was not invited to a party that everyone else was invited too, her feelings got hurt so she acted out-inappropriate manner yes, but she wasn't thinking clearly because she was hurt. What mother in their right mind would let their little girl wander through the forest alone to visit her grandmother. The wolf was doing a natural thing for an animal, Little Red Riding Hood's mother should have had a visit from DCFS (Dept. of Children's and Family Services).

I'm sorry, what was the topic? No, I don't think they teach little girls to depend on a man. They teach kids that the world is a scary place.

(I hope everyone realizes the above is tongue-in-cheek and don't start blasting me for being a whacko. Thank you.)

stitchfan

Most of the folks I've talked to have come to the conclusion that the old fairy tales were, indeed, designed to teach a lesson to young children...though not necessarily the lesson you might think.

Take Red Riding Hood, for example. Little girl leaves the path in the woods, talks to a wolf, who goes to her granmother's house, eats the gransmother, when Red arrives, eats Red, and has a nap until the woodsman comes by to rescue the two hapless women in the wolf's belly. Upon their release, the two women fill the wolf's belly with stones, giving him a bellyache. When he goes to the river for a drink of water to soothe his digestion, he falls in, is weighed down by the stones, and drowns.

The lesson here is not (character assassination of the wolf aside) that Red and Grandma had to wait for the woodsman to rescue them...it's that wise children shouldn't go off in the woods alone and talk to strangers.

Basic safety lesson, packaged in a format to hold the young attention. The same can be seen in other fairy tales...in Cinderella, for example, Cinderella is the good, well-behaved, kind generous child who is ill-treated, but who winds up being rewarded in the end for that good behavior, while her ill-behaved stepsisters and stepmother have their eyes plucked out by Cinderella's bird friends, and are blinded for the rest of their lives. Basic lessons on desirable social behavior.

Now I will admit that during the time in which most of these tales were written, women occupied a lower social standing than men in most respects. Most girls were married by 13 and expecting their first child by 14 at the latest. So there may be some elements in there of "proper feminine behavior" as reflected in the society that brought us the stories in the first place...but I don't believe those were the sole original intentions of the stories.

phlydude

I wrote a thesis in high school on sexism in fairy tales. The thing that stands out most is that when these tales were created, the times were much different. Women were expected to depend upon a man and women who were not married or were widowed were shunned in the community.

Given the changing times, you could look back on them and say many things about what they are or how they could be improved but the thing that has to remain in thought is the time in which they were written.

And besides, I haven't met one woman yet who hasn't appreciated chivalry :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom