Facial Recognition Testing

_caleb

Hasn’t Disneyland done this in a way for years? Just more manually? If they can develop an automatic seamless system it will probably be way faster (for Disneyland at least) and I think no-contact devices are the future.
Yes. Little-known fact: Walt was a pioneer in facial recognition technology when Disneyland opened back in 1955. For example, these images were created in a matter of minutes used to enforce the lifetime bans of two young guests:

PNG image.png

TrainsOfDisney

Hasn’t Disneyland done this in a way for years? Just more manually? If they can develop an automatic seamless system it will probably be way faster (for Disneyland at least) and I think no-contact devices are the future.
Yes Disneyland stores your photo and it appears along with your name when the front gate CM scans your pass.

I’ve always found that less creepy and terminator-ish than biometrics and facial scanning.

It also seems more welcoming than a biometric or facial recognition scan.

Maybe they can link the facial recognition to the soda dispensers and deny people entry for life if they sneak an extra sip of coca-cola!

havoc315

My guess is, at first especially, the facial recognition will have pretty low sensitivity. Which is really all that is necessary, as a way to prevent significant ticket fraud.
This ticket is linked to a 16-year-old white male with brown hair -- Merely confirming that the ticker user is a white teenage male with brown hair, might be good enough to prevent any significant fraud.

My understanding -- It's not facial recognition from scratch to enter. It's simply making sure the face matches the swiped ticket/magic band. Replacing the fingerprint scan.

Magic Feather

Original Poster
My guess is, at first especially, the facial recognition will have pretty low sensitivity. Which is really all that is necessary, as a way to prevent significant ticket fraud.
This ticket is linked to a 16-year-old white male with brown hair -- Merely confirming that the ticker user is a white teenage male with brown hair, might be good enough to prevent any significant fraud.

My understanding -- It's not facial recognition from scratch to enter. It's simply making sure the face matches the swiped ticket/magic band. Replacing the fingerprint scan.
For now

PuertoRekinSam

Only if there are a bunch of other invisible people also trying to use the tickets. He should be the only one who matches the blank area. (Sue storm and Miles Morales can turn theirs off, so no concern there)

it’s similar to the cut off your fingerprints to commit crimes idea:

“Chief, there were no fingerprints at the scene, just a bunch of Finger tip shaped blobs.”

“thanks Lieutenant. Better go pick up Johnny no prints for questioning. He’s the only one stupid enough to have cut off his finger tips”

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
"We have implemented technical, administrative, and physical security measures that are designed to protect Guest information from unauthorized access, disclosure, use and modification."

Who has "authorized" access?

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Call me untrusting, but this is a bit too Big Brother-ish for my tastes currently.

And apparently the market for “unauthorized ticket usage” is massive for Disney to want to spend money on facial recognition. Gotta make sure all the blood squeezed out of guests goes into their bucket, right? 😉

GimpYancIent

"We have implemented technical, administrative, and physical security measures that are designed to protect Guest information from unauthorized access, disclosure, use and modification."

Who has "authorized" access?
Heard that before. Sure, what ever. It does sound substantive. The legal department doing its job!

Last edited:

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
How would this work for someone who is visually impaired if it becomes the norm?
I cannot follow on screen prompts, I may not be able to see where I'm supposed to look, my eyes themselves may not look in the correct direction even if I'm looking in the right direction, I have coloboma in every part of my eye which includes iris and retina...

Disney Analyst

How would this work for someone who is visually impaired if it becomes the norm?
I cannot follow on screen prompts, I may not be able to see where I'm supposed to look, my eyes themselves may not look in the correct direction even if I'm looking in the right direction, I have coloboma in every part of my eye which includes iris and retina...

All good questions, I think it is safe to say Disney will have accommodations for you.

lazyboy97o

The finger biometrics have never been required. Showing ID would likely remain as a base method of identification.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom