Facemask for 2 Year Old

arich35

First, I don't understand why Disney is requiring a two year old to be in a facemask, it is crazy to me.

Second, has anyone had luck finding a facemask their toddler will actually wear? And how did you get them to keep it on?

We are going in May and our daughter will be 26 months old and at this rate I don't see any way she will keep a mask on. She won't even keep a hat or sunglasses on, she hates it.

Last edited:

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Because the CDC recommends it for ages 2+.

You have 4+ months before its even recommended for your child and 6+ before the trip.
I suggest buying a few that have characters on them that she likes and let her look at them now.
Also be sure to let her see you and others wearing a mask so she can recognize it as something normal for now.
Once she is 2 then start trying to get her to wear it.
Keep in mind there is a chance by May it might no longer be a requirement.

If it is still required and she absolutely will not wear one then you'd have to consider cancelling.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

Cause Disney is going with the guidelines they have been given which allows them to open. If you dont want to follow those guidelines others will point out that you arent complying. Or dont go at this time.
You have to just start insisting she wears it in very small increments of time, making it a game, rewarding her when she reaches the time limit. Slowly get her to accept it instead of focusing on it being on her. Then gradually increase the wearing of it throughout the day. Its no different than any other childs... I dont want to do it thing. My DS didnt want to wear shoes, gloves, or hats either when he was that age. We eventually got through that stage.

Upvote 0

arich35

Original Poster
Cause Disney is going with the guidelines they have been given which allows them to open. If you dont want to follow those guidelines others will point out that you arent complying. Or dont go at this time.
You have to just start insisting she wears it in very small increments of time, making it a game, rewarding her when she reaches the time limit. Slowly get her to accept it instead of focusing on it being on her. Then gradually increase the wearing of it throughout the day. Its no different than any other childs... I dont want to do it thing. My DS didnt want to wear shoes, gloves, or hats either when he was that age. We eventually got through that stage.

I see the guidelines from the CDC but there are plenty of places that aren't requiring a two year old to wear a mask. Universal Studios is age 3, my local zoo is age 9, haven't seen a grocery store require a 2 year old to wear a mask, etc.. So they Disney would be just fine upping the age to make more realistic. I also never said I didn't want to follow the guidelines but thank you for letting me know.

Upvote 0

RememberWhen

Our youngest is 3, and I know that year makes a big difference, but she will happily wear the kid masks from Vistaprint. They stay on and are comfortable. You can even make custom designs if you’re into that. They are on the pricey end, so that’s something to consider.
I would suggest you do a lot of practicing before you go. We worked with our kids all summer when we thought school would open, and we took walks in our masks with prizes at home when we got back. Both kids (8 and 3) responded well. It was usually a lollipop, or an ice cream or other special snack. You have tons of time to practice.
A good attitude from you will definitely help your kid accept it. If she’s really not able to wear her mask you’ll have to decide whether to keep the trip or not.

Upvote 0

Chi84

Premium Member
I see the guidelines from the CDC but there are plenty of places that aren't requiring a two year old to wear a mask. Universal Studios is age 3, my local zoo is age 9, haven't seen a grocery store require a 2 year old to wear a mask, etc.. So they Disney would be just fine upping the age to make more realistic. I also never said I didn't want to follow the guidelines but thank you for letting me know.
I believe there's a very good chance requirements will change by May. Disney is going with the strictest requirements right now, but no one knows what the COVID landscape will look like in May.

Upvote 0

DisneyDreamer08

Depends on where you live. We live in MA and the requirement has been two and up everywhere since the beginning. Inside, outside, doesn’t matter. My daughter is in preschool and they have to wear them all day.

Upvote 0

DisneyDreamer08

My advice is try different kinds. Paper, different fabrics, different types of elastics on the ears. It took my kids about 4 months to wear them fairly comfortably with minimal touching & readjusting.

Upvote 0

mdcpr

First, I don't understand why Disney is requiring a two year old to be in a facemask, it is crazy to me.

Second, has anyone had luck find a facemask their toddler will actually wear? And how did you get them to keep it on?

We are going in May and our daughter will be 26 months old and at this rate I don't see any way she will keep a mask on. She won't even keep a hat or sunglasses on, she hates it.
These are great masks for kids: https://shopvida.com/collections/kids-masks-collection

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

Didnt mean to imply you were not going to follow the guidelines. I was pointing out that people are being very non-mask attentive and are reporting those not following the guidelines to CM's who are confronting guests. Disney is trying to provide as safe an environment as they can but there have been those trying to get away with non compliance. You may have seen it reported that inspection teams are checking on theme parks and other businesses for how well or not they are adhering to the rules. Disney doesnt want a bad report.
Again, if you are going to go you will have to get your child slowly accustomed to wearing a mask. No way around it. Rules are set up and no matter how ridiculous they may be to you, if you want in you have to do what they say.

Upvote 0

Chi84

Premium Member
I would wait until it’s much closer to May before worrying about this. It’s very possible the requirements will be different at that time. People have definite opinions on the future, but no one knows how things will be in May.

Upvote 0

arich35

Original Poster
I was more looking for recommendations on masks to use and how they got their toddler to keep them on. But I also don't agree with it being necessary for a 2 year old to even have a mask on in the first place but it really wasn't what this thread was intended for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

I would wait until it’s much closer to May before worrying about this. It’s very possible the requirements will be different at that time. People have definite opinions on the future, but no one knows how things will be in May.
Yes its a long ways off and things may change... but if shes going to get her child to accept a mask she would be better off getting her used to it in small increments now over a long period of time rather than waiting and taking a chance that the rules are no longer being enforced. If she waits too long theres no chance to create a behavioral change.

Upvote 0

Wendy Pleakley

A lot of people are saying to wait and see what the conditions will be like in May.

Honestly, it will likely be well past May that vaccines and widespread immunity are in place.

While things can change, I would anticipate the current rules still being in place at that time.

Upvote 0

arich35

Original Poster
Yes its a long ways off and things may change... but if shes going to get her child to accept a mask she would be better off getting her used to it in small increments now over a long period of time rather than waiting and taking a chance that the rules are no longer being enforced. If she waits too long theres no chance to create a behavioral change.
he :)

Upvote 0

arich35

Original Poster
A lot of people are saying to wait and see what the conditions will be like in May.

Honestly, it will likely be well past May that vaccines and widespread immunity are in place.

While things can change, I would anticipate the current rules still being in place at that time.
Unfortunately I agree. Just need to find the right one, all we have are adult masks at the moment

Upvote 0

Chi84

Premium Member

No one knows this. I anticipate there may be changes to the current rules by May, at least as far as wearing masks outside is concerned.

Upvote 0

Wendy Pleakley

No one knows this. I anticipate there may be changes to the current rules by May, at least as far as wearing masks outside is concerned.

Sure, but wearing masks outdoors right now is generally not required unless one cannot social distance from other people.

Disney's approach is one of being extra precautionary. Barring a dramatic change in the number of cases or a widely used vaccine, my best guess is Disney stays the course.

Upvote 0

Chi84

Premium Member
Sure, but wearing masks outdoors right now is generally not required unless one cannot social distance from other people.

Disney's approach is one of being extra precautionary. Barring a dramatic change in the number of cases or a widely used vaccine, my best guess is Disney stays the course.
People are advising the OP to "teach" the child to wear face masks, which is actually dangerous for the child, who is well under the age of two. So nothing can be done now except to wait for several months. There may be a dramatic change in the number of cases or a widely used vaccine. I don't know every bit as much about this as you don't know.

Also, requirements based on age are arbitrary, as is apparent from the fact that other businesses do not require face masks at such a young age. In the next 8 months, if Disney finds itself at a disadvantage vis a vis other amusement parks, it may raise the age requirement. The course of the virus may change, vaccines could be developed, more information about how the virus is transmitted may be discovered, rapid COVID tests may be developed, etc., any of which could provoke a change in the mask requirements.

In the meantime, @arich35, email Disney and let them know your thoughts about requiring face masks for 2-year-olds.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom