F&G butterflies?

KeithVH

Original Poster
Packing up my gear for the next trip. Debating what to take with the butterfly garden available. Leaving the tripod at home though this time.

I'm curious, for those of you who have shot in there, what was your choice of gear? I'm trying to do a minimalist trip this time around but would love to hear what others have used in the conditions in the tent.

senor_jorge

Barbara Eden+? Bring it!!
My wife isn’t sure what she used, and the server with the photos is waiting for me to replace the power supply:cautious:

She thinks it was either 24-105 f/4 or 24-70 f/2.8.

KeithVH

Original Poster
I am so torn. First thought was to take the 100 Macro. But that would be the only reason to take it out of the bag. Seems a waste of space for a few minutes of shooting. Then I thought the 70-200 with a double glass close-up lens (or maybe extension tubes). But that thing weighs a ton. Considering how warm it's gonna be in a couple weeks, and the fact I have a serious issue with taking a bag into the parks, I guess I'm stuck with the M6, 55-200, and ext. tubes. Maybe/maybe not a monopod.

Sometimes I wish the kids were little again and could throw all this crap on a stroller. But only sometimes . . .

fractal

I am so torn. First thought was to take the 100 Macro. But that would be the only reason to take it out of the bag. Seems a waste of space for a few minutes of shooting. Then I thought the 70-200 with a double glass close-up lens (or maybe extension tubes). But that thing weighs a ton. Considering how warm it's gonna be in a couple weeks, and the fact I have a serious issue with taking a bag into the parks, I guess I'm stuck with the M6, 55-200, and ext. tubes. Maybe/maybe not a monopod.

Sometimes I wish the kids were little again and could throw all this crap on a stroller. But only sometimes . . .

Take the 100 Macro. There's a reason you bought it and it would be the best tool for the job. The inconvenience will be worth it. JMO.

A few trips ago I took a monster Sigma 105 1.4, was a pain to carry but the great photos last forever.

senor_jorge

If you have the 100 Macro I’d take it. The Canon RF is on my list to rent to check it out. (Nearly bought a refurb from Canon a couple of days ago but passed when I couldn’t add CarePak to the purchase)

When I think about going minimalist tubes don’t make the cut. I’ve had them in the past but they lived on a shelf or took up space in a bag more than they were used. And in all honesty I just prefer good glass. You can skip a bag if you don’t mind a lens pouch on your belt, as well.

senor_jorge

@fractal and this forum are hard on the bank account. Ordered the refurb RF 100mm macro from Canon, and it arrived yesterday.

I didn’t have much time to play with it, but I saw enough. Keeper and I’d absolutely take it for the butterfly garden. I’ll probably use it more for portraits, but the macro capability is handy to have when I need it.

Thank you both for enabling me!

KeithVH

Original Poster
@fractal and this forum are hard on the bank account. Ordered the refurb RF 100mm macro from Canon, and it arrived yesterday.

I didn’t have much time to play with it, but I saw enough. Keeper and I’d absolutely take it for the butterfly garden. I’ll probably use it more for portraits, but the macro capability is handy to have when I need it.

Thank you both for enabling me!

Hey, it's only money. just be careful with the macro - it's sharp enough to cut ya . . .

KeithVH

Original Poster
Sorry for the delay. Just been busy.

So much to say. Several of my instincts turned out somewhat wrong. I did adopt the "one lens, one day" paradigm. Worked out well enough but I didn't plan enough or think ahead. Since we basically went to see a couple of our daughters (who live in another state), the parks were kinda an afterthought. I walked into EPCOT on our first day (after a very nice steak and eggs at Steak 71) and realized I'm carrying the mirrorless with only the 11-22. That's the first shot below. A few days later, I only had my Canon big sensor P&S. That was a hoot (the other two shots). Between heat, major rain storms, and doing other things, I didn't spend that much time shooting anything.

I learned that growing up in the south didn't count after living in the PNW for 20 years and the heat and humidity just totally zapped me. Wasn't even paying attention to exposure settings so things are blurry. Forget the whole lens selection bit. And inside the butterfly tent it was easily 5-10 degrees warmer than outside. Now add all the people who aren't taking a photograph and don't care if they bump you or not. Meh. Heat index was mid-90s right before Memorial Day. I know myself well enough that when it gets hot like that, I really just don't care that much about shooting. I just spent my time enjoying and beeing with the fam.

I will admit I was hoping for some cool subjects but most of the ones I saw were the little white ones or a few green or brown ones. None of the variety I'm used to seeing inside other hatcheries of this type.

Canon M6, 11-22 @22mm, 1/100sec, f7.1
IMG_5001a.JPG

Canon A650IS, 44mm, 1/200sec, f4.8
IMG_0087a.JPG

Canon A650IS, 44mm, 1/160sec, f4.8
IMG_0089a.JPG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom