Extra Magic Hours Tricks & Tips

onholiday

Hi! My family's heading for WDW for the fourth year in a row this summer in the first week of June. We've always had horrible luck with Extra Magic Hours... it never seems that we are able to take advantage of it like some people have. The only time we felt it was worth it was when you had to pay to take advantage of the evening hours. It might just be that we go during the summer, but I'd really like to be able to take advantage of it this trip! Is it just that we get fed up with it and leave too early before people leave? Just any tips and tricks you can share if you've had successes with it?

Nemo14

Hi! My family's heading for WDW for the fourth year in a row this summer in the first week of June. We've always had horrible luck with Extra Magic Hours... it never seems that we are able to take advantage of it like some people have. The only time we felt it was worth it was when you had to pay to take advantage of the evening hours. It might just be that we go during the summer, but I'd really like to be able to take advantage of it this trip! Is it just that we get fed up with it and leave too early before people leave? Just any tips and tricks you can share if you've had successes with it?
Many people are finding this to be true, especailly during the busier months. One alternative is to not take advantage of the nighttime hours, but rather in the morning, visit the park that had night EMH's the previous night. Some people have found the crowds to be much better then.

Upvote 0

stalkingmickey

My husband and I take full advantage of these hours. Heres what we do. We go to the park that has the am hours and by 11 or 12 pm it really starts to get busy so we either go to another park for awhile, but at least by 2 or 3pm we go back to our hotel for a rest. Then around 5 or 6 we head back to the park with the pm hours. By this time alot of families have left for dinner and you have already rested. This requires you to eat at some off times, but again you don't run into the crowds at the restaurants either.

Upvote 0

WDWCP

I totally agree with getting to the park EARLY to hit the AM extra magic hours. However, I absolutely will not go to a park for the PM hours. I usually try to go to WDW every 2 years or so and I was last there in June 2006.

I found that if I was at a park with evening extra hours, the park started to get WAY crowded about 2 hours before the extra hours started. You would expect this as many guests "Park Hop" from other parks to try to take advantage of the EMH hours.

What this meant is that during this June busy period, I found line lengths for Haunted Mansion to be roughly 25 minutes in the day, but 55 minutes during the EMH hours that evening. So, during peak times like June when the park closes around 11 or 12 at night anyway, what's the point of staying out the 3 hours longer when it may only mean 3-4 more rides.

Go early as most guests won't try to do morning hours AND evening hours on the same day...

Upvote 0

mcfly530

In my experience I always found that avoiding the park with the AM extra hours is the best policy. I think in everyone's mind they believe going for that extra hour will equal less people, but if everyone staying at a Disney resort heads to the park, the objective is defeated.

I too miss the extra hours that had to pay for. The E ticket nights were without a doubt some of the best times i had. Nothing beats walking on to rides without any crowds.

Upvote 0

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I've found that Evening EMH is great during the transition. While people are watching the last fireworks before non-EMH guests leave and the first ten minutes or so after that. A lot of people wait until the last minute to get their wristbands and often rides are walk-on for a short period, then it gets insane for about an hour and after that it settles down to reasonably good lines. If you can make it through that hour of ridiculous crowds, the transition and the second and third hours of EMH are pretty good.

I wander the park avoiding rides while the lines are crazy and look for the things I normally am racing past too fast during the day.

Upvote 0

Dwarful

We go to the early openings..and get there EARLY! Before they open. Its amazing how much can be done when its all walk on. We do hop or go back to the resort occasionally. For the evening hours, it is crucial, like Monty said, get those bands EARLY! But it seems like the later it gets the more crowded it gets. Many people are not early risers on vacation, so the early entry is not so bad.

Upvote 0

jasondiff

I agree, the AM EMH are good if you can get there 15 minutes before official opening. This way you can hit at least 5 or more attractions in that first hour. If you get there more than half an hour into the AM EMH it's a waste.
I avoid the evening EMH and go to that park the next day. If you are an early riser and get to that park before opening you can get done as much in the first hour the next morning as in the 3 hours the night before.

If you are going to do the evening EMH and you didn't get your wristbands early, then avoid the wristband lines near the front of the park, they are the longest. Find the wristband locations near the back of the park, there are rarely lines at those.

Upvote 0

Mori Anne

In the Parks
No
We always do the am and the pm extra hours during our stays. We always have had great luck. I guess the "trick" (really isn't, just our habit) is to pick a few Fast Pass Rides that would normally be really busy during the day and try to hit them an hour before the EMH are over (at night). During AM EMH, we will hit the "busy rides" during those hours and enjoy the rest of the park when the AM EMH are over.

Remember to have fun and take the time to enjoy whatever you are on. I have been on a few rides hearing other people planning how they are going to rush off the ride and take the fastest route to the next ride. Meanwhile, they are missing the ride/attraction they are currently suppose to be enjoying. :veryconfu Kind of misses the point of even being on the ride.

Upvote 0

jcldtrek

Lasst year, I went in the first week of june and it was jammed at Mgm Studios for the one evening hrs. The fantasmic show was packed for just the disney resort guests. Epcot the next day was also jammed. Soarin had the line going out to the hall after 9:30pm seems more and more people are taking advantage of it. only good thing is you can take your time during the day at the park or go park hopping or take breathers and go back to the resort for awhile. i definetly love the evening hrs more. that plus my whole family are night owls, getting up early is not one of our specialties. lol:wave:

Upvote 0

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Hate the evening EMH especially at Epcot. Only thing its good for is night time photography. AM however is a must, get in at opening blast the biggies and grab a fast pass for your fave and it sets you up for tyhe rest of the day.

However bring back E - ride nights!

Upvote 0
In the summer I use the EMH as a way of deciding where not to go... If it is an evening at EPCOT then I plan to go in the evening to MK. In the winter the EMH is a good deal but in the summer it just tells you where not to go.

Upvote 0

Alztybrn

The best advice for evening EMH's is to be patient. The first hour to 90 minutes is fairly chaotic. If you can wait past that, the crowds really tend to thin out. Especially in the summer months at MK. With EMH's running sometimes until 3 or 4 am, you can really get a lot accomplished. It just definately requires a nap in the afternoon, and then sleeping in the next morning, but it is definately pretty fun.

Upvote 0

k.hunter30

I'm hping to be able to do both evening magic hours at MK and morning magic hours at AK. The only thing is they're one right after the other. Long night and an early morning. Wish me luck!:lookaroun

Upvote 0

DisneyMusician2

So, do these EMHs cost extra, or are they just extended hours that the park statys open on certain days?

It is only for guests staying on Disney property. If you are, it's free. Just go to a park rep around cllsing time, you have them swipe your room key, and they issue you a special bracelet that lets you on the rides late-night.

Upvote 0

Mori Anne

In the Parks
No
EHM are only for people staying at a WDW Resort, a WDW DVC resort, The Swan or The Dolphin, or Shades of Green. You have to have a resort ID (for each person 3 and above) to take advantage of the EMH.

Upvote 0

wesTcoastY

Thanks for your very FAST responses! I came back on here to say that I had found the info after doing a little research...I should do that next tme I have a question, right?:) Since you two were so fast, let me ask you this...

We'll be staying at The Wilderness Place with cabins...So we will be staying with friends so our names will not necessarily be connected to any sort of reservation(i dont think). Does anyone see that as being a problem as far as validating that we are staying at a Disney resort?

Sorry if this question seems a bit lame.

Upvote 0

L Fisher

You know what I wish Disney would do? I wish that they would make each park open at night for certain resorts so that not everyone is there at the same time. I>E. if you are staying at a MK resort you can stay at the MK late one night, those staying at Epcot resorts can go to Epcot late the same night and AK resorts for AK. Obviously divide some resorts better and hit MGM too!! Disney could just stay open late every night late no matter what and trade nights and mornings with all of the resorts. I know it is a long shot but it sure would cut down on the crowds some!!!!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom