Extra hours in wdw

katherineorsini

Original Poster
About 19 years ago, was my first visit to wdw and the parks open in summer until 12:00 pm. Since the past three years, everytime they close earlier. My first trip with my daughter in thanksgiving weekend 2000 they close later. I have go to wdw like 36 times and they are closing earlier each year.:veryconfu :hammer:
hope everyone understands is my first time writing in pages.

Welcome to WDWMagic. You will find that people here are nice and very forthcoming with great insights, information and opinions. Although, sometimes the opinions may differ from yours, I have learned alot about how people view WDW. You'll love it here.

I live in California and we have the same issue at Disneyland. During peak periods, Disney used to be open until 12 or even 1 am. However, during the last few years, there has been a downturn in attendance. Disney has to respond in different ways---one being decreasing operating hours. While disappointing, it is understandable. At both WDW and DLR they have added so many other activities, you will still have a great time and may be see more of WDW.....

Have fun and again, welcome :)

s25843

Disney Seems to only be open late during Peak periods now. My April trip had the latest hours I have seen in awhile. MK Closed at 12am every night, EP Closed at 9, and MGM closed at 10. It was nice being able to spend the night at Epcot, hop on the Monorail, and still have 2.5 hours in the MK!

RogueHabit

The latest I saw for MK in the July hours was 10pm. :(

I can remember staying in the mark until nearl midnight 10 years or so ago.

misskat

i remember being there past 10 and that was only a few years ago.

why the sudden downturn in attendance?

are some closing times due to special events after hours, not available to the general public. i remember being at Universal when they were closing a little early for a corporate event, does the same apply at WDW?

Misskat,

In 2001, theme parks started seeing a decline in attendance. After 9/11, attendance really dropped and have stayed depressed because of the sluggish economy. Things are starting to look better...(Disney never releases attendance figures), but attendance hasn't returned to pre 2001 levels.

Yes, sometimes the parks close early for special events. But say for example, Futureworld at EPCOT used to be open til 9pm. The powers that be look at attendance data, in-park figures, exit data, ride capacity figures, merchandise and food sales and figure out that it would be fiscally prudent to close this park earlier. I am not thrilled with shortened hours, but I would rather they cut hours than close say EPCOT Futureworld on Mondays and Tuesdays.....

I hope that answers some of your ????/

CTXRover

In addition to the reduced hours within the last two or three years to help fiscally compensate for recent attendance slumps, one thing to consider when comparing hours 15-20 years ago to now is what Disney World has now vs then. Disney has expanded a great deal from 20 years ago to include a huge array of activities guests can due during the night beyond the parks. One way to get them out there to experience it is trimming some of the hours, especially during non-peak times. Examples include: The entire Downtown Disney complex with PI, West Side and the Marketplace with its large array of nighttime clubs, shops, restaurants and movie theater. Also, Disney's Boardwalk opened for nighttime entertainment. In addition, smaller things such as two minature golf courses as well as the activities at the 20 or so Disney resorts, which were not part of Disneyworld 20 years ago, can be enjoyed at night. Just something to consider :)

careship

I can remember when there was nothing but MK and Discovery Island. There were only a couple hotels and Ft. Wilderness. The expansion and the economy has alot to do with it. However, with the extra magic hour for resort guests and eride nights, they are open as late as 2am on some days. There is a beautiful world in WDW outside of the 4 park gates. Take time to explore. Go horseback riding, swim, check out DTD and PI. Go hotel hopping, see if you find one you like better. There's a whole world out there, check it all out. Take the kids to the petting zoo, check out the water parks.

DisneyJedi

I remember MK closing around 10pm in May 2001 on my honeymoon.. though we sat around a good 45 mins after to hear the "goodnight kiss". It was actually quite pleasant seeing the park nearly empty and Disney employees busily cleaning up for the day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom