Extinct Attractions: Sad reality

DoleWhipDrea

I don't see the obsession over keeping old rides around forever. They're supposed to be experiences. You enjoy riding the rides, and then you move on to enjoying new rides. You love the rides, lock them away in your memory bank, but then you move on and ride a new ride that's different. Doesn't seem like a hard concept to me.

If a park is willing to spend cold hard cash on giving you new experiences, why fight it?

In my own experience it’s the result of two things.

1. One already had an emotional attachment to the former attraction. In many ways it’s why forums like this exist. You have other people to commiserate and reminisce with.

2. The replacement isn’t better than what was originally there. Even if a company spends their”cold hard cash” on creating something new, it can be a downgrade in quality. And unfortunately there’s a lot of instances where this has happened in Disney Parks.

It’s not so much fighting getting new experiences as it is that instead of it being an addition it’s a replacement. A replacement should be an improvement, and it isn’t always unfortunately.

Oddysey

Although if someone could replicate that weird vertiginous feeling you experienced on Dreamflight as you moved towards that spinning light (anyone else remember that effect?), that would be cool.

Oh yeah the “propeller light.” I had completely forgotten about that effect until you just mentioned it. I had to search my brain for it for a little while and literally have not thought of it in maybe decades. When viewing the effect it felt like your body was floating/spinning. At least it did to me. Thanks for the memory!

Heppenheimer

Oh yeah the “propeller light.” I had completely forgotten about that effect until you just mentioned it. I had to search my brain for it for a little while and literally have not thought of it in maybe decades. When viewing the effect it felt like your body was floating/spinning. At least it did to me. Thanks for the memory!
That was such a unique and memorable effect, I'm surprised they haven't used it elsewhere on other rides. Perhaps it was too much for some guests and they complained?

Johnny Three-hats

That was such a unique and memorable effect, I'm surprised they haven't used it elsewhere on other rides. Perhaps it was too much for some guests and they complained?
Huh, this effect sounds really familiar to me, from the very first trip I took when I was maybe four, but I know for a fact that I went on Space Ranger Spin was already installed by then. I just distinctly remember being really disoriented by some kind of spinning effect on that ride, one that wasn't caused by the ride vehicles themselves (I think), to the point that that's most of what I remember of the ride and, indeed, the trip itself. But now I don't remember anything like that from my most recent trip in 2015. Of course, I could be totally off-base and maybe it was just the spinning ride vehicles and whirling show scenary creating this memory.

Movielover

I never realized how nostalgic some people can get for these old attractions.

Yeah being a film nerd like myself I've ben looking all over the place for a complete ride and walkthrough of the original 1989 Studio Tour at MGM.

I have Planet Coaster and I know how to do 3D modeling, but even with those tools it's 100's of hours of work I don't have time for. I have recreated the music from the Norway movie that I'll release when I'm done. Edit: it's sampled instruments for now but I'm experimenting with different versions.

I know what you mean. I love Planet Coaster but man that is such a time sink. I'm currently working on a Disney MGM Studios sister park that will be recreating as much as I can. I haven't been able to work on it much lately because of work responsibilities but I hope to finish it someday.

Trigger Warning: Shameless Plug

Heppenheimer

Yeah being a film nerd like myself I've ben looking all over the place for a complete ride and walkthrough of the original 1989 Studio Tour at MGM.

I know what you mean. I love Planet Coaster but man that is such a time sink. I'm currently working on a Disney MGM Studios sister park that will be recreating as much as I can. I haven't been able to work on it much lately because of work responsibilities but I hope to finish it someday.

Trigger Warning: Shameless Plug

We actually have the entire backlot tour on home video from the summer of 1989. For some reason, my dad filmed almost every attraction on that trip. Sorry I can't post it, though. It's all on betamax... my dad was one of the last true believers.

stratman50th

Our family never got to partake but for the lucky guests that got to ride with a race car driver at the Speedway run by a third party (Richard Petty)?, by the Magic Kingdom parking lot, that's something that is a once in a lifetime experience at WDW.
It was a blast. I've taken courses at several tracks which were more comprehensive in instruction, but Richard Petty Driving Experience is in several tracks throughout the country and is a great deal of fun. I have pictures still someplace but they would need to be scanned. Sadly the track is closed now and converted to parking.

Trackmaster

In my own experience it’s the result of two things.

1. One already had an emotional attachment to the former attraction. In many ways it’s why forums like this exist. You have other people to commiserate and reminisce with.

2. The replacement isn’t better than what was originally there. Even if a company spends their”cold hard cash” on creating something new, it can be a downgrade in quality. And unfortunately there’s a lot of instances where this has happened in Disney Parks.

It’s not so much fighting getting new experiences as it is that instead of it being an addition it’s a replacement. A replacement should be an improvement, and it isn’t always unfortunately.

It may not be better, but its different. You've been on the old ride before. You know what happens and how it happens. Nothing to see there. Time to ride something new that you haven't been on before that's original. Open up the old memory bank if you want to experience the old stuff.

ppete1975

It may not be better, but its different. You've been on the old ride before. You know what happens and how it happens. Nothing to see there. Time to ride something new that you haven't been on before that's original. Open up the old memory bank if you want to experience the old stuff.
ill get killed for saying it, but I think that's why the black box system would be brilliant. Not every ride but a few where its trackless in a big warehouse. You could change the path and with what Disney can do with projections now. You could have a new ride every 3-6 months. Different track layout different experiences (maybe make the ride vehicles have hydraulics to give the impression of jumping). You then can have a fox and the hound ride, a bambi ride, a big hero six.
How much more money could Disney make if every 6 months a new ride came to town and then retired? You could even recreate rides like jii, horizons 20,000 leagues. Imagineers imagination would be the only roadblock (and we have seen they can dream amazing things when allowed)

Yes we need tons of animatronics and I love omnimovers and boat rides so those need to be added as well, but for one or two rides I think it would be cool, and you would bring people just to ride those new rides.

Johnny Three-hats

Drea up there may have experienced a particular old attraction, but I haven't. Lots of people today who would have liked to haven't, and at least I know that I would have really liked to and it makes me pretty sad. And even if Drea has experienced a particular attraction "the old memory bank" isn't the same as experiencing an attraction in person as it was meant to be presented. This form of art is intended to be seen and experienced with your own eyes, you're meant to be able to glance all around yourself and see things that are part of the show, appreciate the lighting and atmosphere as it is in ways that even videos can't really capture.

If, let's say for ease, Gone With the Wind was completely unable to be replicated and had to be destroyed to make way for new films, great or otherwise, that would really suck, wouldn't it? If all movies and, indeed, all pieces of art were like attractions, that would suck immensely, and of course people are gonna be upset. That's more or less how I think of attractions being destroyed and replaced. Even if the replacements are better on some level or another, art is still being destroyed, permanently. On some level, that's necessary, I know but man does it still suck a whole lot that a lot of people, me included, are just never going to have a chance to see so many old attractions for myself. For me, that's like if I were to never be able to watch shows and movies from the 60s, 70s, 80s, or even older books, radio shows. In a theoretical world, those all just went up in smoke because, well, they're old, we don't need those dumb old things anymore, there's no value in something if it's outdated. We saved a few frames from Gone With the Wind, isn't that enough? No, it's not, because it's not the piece of art as it was.

None of this to put down contemporary attractions and media, of course, but I think it's really reductive to just say "Well, you saw it and that's that, so just be happy that you experienced it at all and go ride the new stuff." Again, I understand that attractions are a very particular kind of art, and sometimes the old art has to be taken out of its place to put in new art. Still, like I've been saying this whole time, it really sucks when that happens, for people who experienced and those who haven't alike. I don't have a good solution really, it just makes me really sad thinking that these old attractions are just gone forever. Sure, there's footage of them, but footage removed the three dimensional aspect of the attraction, and it ain't the same.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom