Extinct Attractions Club DVD's

Knett

I have quite a few of extinct attractions DVDs. On the JII one, they only have the original ride thru, but they do have the movies of Captain EO and also Magic Journeys. There is also a walk thru of image works as well, and a good history of the attraction. Their DVDs are about 15 bucks apiece, but to me, are worth it. They have some really good ones on the Haunted Mansion, and one on POTC is in the works. So, if you have the money, I would say go for it. Any other questions, I will try to answer them.

3IAlienKid

I finally bought my 1st DVD 2 weeks ago at the NFFC show - it was the Ford's Magic Skyway / Peoplemover.

1) The ride-through's are all compiled from amateur home movies/video. Even though I knew this when I bought the DVD, it was still a bit disappointing to me that the quality wasn't better. On the other hand, I know others who don't mind this one bit. It is still fun to see images you haven't experienced in a while.
2) A lot of the same exact footage showed up several times throughout various parts of the documentary and some of the other extras. While there were different sound clips accompanying the repeat footage, I have to admit it got a bit boring. I don't know if other DVD's are like this, I figure the more footage of an attraction they manage to collect, the less repeats they may have, and maybe there just wasn't much Peoplemover footage out there.
3) In my opinion, the best reason to get these DVD's is the interviews w/ Imagineers. In fact, I would have been happier if they'd had less narration and more interview clips.

jedimaster1227

I bought my DVDs about 6 months ago. Unfortunately, ordering and recieving them was a hassle. When I recieved my three sets (Horizons, Journey into Imagination and World of Motion- the classics), I was shocked to find that the footage used was sometimes grainy or hard to see. Some of it was truly great, in fact, the videos reminded me of things that I forgot from that era of EPCOT Center.

The other thing that really got to me about this was the fact that only two weeks after I recieved my dvds, I found free online video tributes by our own Marni (known as Martin to others) that were in fact better (and less centered on the EAC's child- which in all three dvds threw temper tantrums- Yes, you see all of this).

I would recommend going to Geoffreynease.com and picking up Martin's tributes, because the quality is better for the actual ride-thrus and pavilions.

If you are looking for interviews from former Imagineers and famous Disney crew, then you might just want to spend the extra $15-35 for the dvds (I paid $35 for the three).

If you really like theme park videos, I also highly recommend Theme Park Review's dvds (I just ordered and recieved 6 of their amazing sets and I am getting ready to order two more)!

Hope that helps! :wave:

LudwigVonDrake

I have the interview DVDs with Thurl Ravenscroft and Wally Boag. While historically VERY important, they could have been edited better. At one point, Thurl gets confused in telling a story and gets two stories mixed up. Instead of taking it out, they left it in and it made Thurl come across as a forgetful old man :( The Wally Boag one is much better because Wally remembered more but he rambled at times and they could have edited it down. The extraordinary thing about the Wally Boag DVDs, they have home movies of the Golden Horseshoe. Performances "lost" forever to time recaptured. They also show a dance number Wally did on the Mickey Mouse club that was incredible.

I think I rambled like Wally ;)

Long story short, the quality could be better but they are doing us all a great service by interviewing these Disney Legends :):

Teenchy

I really like them, yes some of the ride through videos are hard to see in parts, but as others have said some of the interviews are outstanding. I have Haunted Mansion series, If you had wings, COP and several others of extinct rides.

Really brings back some old memories.

wolf359

The specific quality depends on a lot of factors. EAC is somewhat dependant on donated video, especially with the long extinct attractions. Dark rides especially suffer, but usually the documentary and interview aspects make up for it.

I own several of their offerings, and some standouts include Horizons (great film quality with a pristine soundtrack), Carousel of Progress (includes both the current version and the Best Time versions), and the Disneyland and WDW promo film collection DVD, which has some very cool looks back at vintage Disney attractions.

nelsonj3

As someone said above, many of Martin's Tribute Videos have much more material and quality than those DVD's. I have the Horizons DVD, and Martin's Ultimate Horizons Tribute is way better. Also, Martin's Videos are FREE!! :wave:

I have nothing against the Extinct Attractions Club, but you should definitely check out Martin's Videos as well... especially since they're free. Head over to dc-torrents.com or Geoffrey Nease's site as mentioned above to download Martin's Videos.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom