Express Monorail, "Technical Difficulties"

t3techcom18

I was more or less being overdramatic, to be honest I would never actually take the time to do it.

I was born and raised in Nashville, TN, and was mostly homeschooled. I've traveled all around the country with my father since I was a baby, and grew up around older people. In other words, I've always hated "roudy" teenagers, and have never understood them. Now even though I am the absolute farthest thing from being a bragocious person - as I cannot stand people that are - I like to think that I'm gerally a nice, respectful person, raised on the values of southern sophistication. That being said, my girlfriend and myself were in DAK and were approaching EE. I had been telling my girlfriend - who has just now only been to WDW twice - about the single riders line. She decided that we should do it, as she wanted to ride EE one more time. Knowing exactly where the single riders line was, I just headed that way. This was my mistake. On several occasions, I've noted that the sign directing guests to the single riders line will say: CLOSED; my mistake was not noting it this time. Anyway, we approached the line and walked on through, as there was no rope to indicate that we couldn't. As we got in line with about six people that were already standing there, Jill approached. Her exact dialogue was as follows, in a short, loud, and unnecessarily rude tone, "Hey, what're you doin'?" Immediately, I'm confused and suddenly everyone within a thirty foot radious is looking at us. I can barely get out an "Um..." before she snaps again, "Rope's there for a reason guys," and then to our confusion, she added a little, "Uh'huh." I began to say, "Oh I'm sorry ma'am, there was no rope," but she ignored my statement and began to herd us away like a couple of cows. My girlfriend was already irritated and heading out. I don't know if I can desribe this out of memory, but if you're familiar with that part of the queue, you know that the FastPass line runs right behind it. Well my girlfriend - who's not so familiar with these things - had already climbed over into the FastPass line, and was walking out, toward the Serka Zong Bazaar. I followed. This was Jill's que, "Hey! No, no, no, no, no! What'd you guys think you're doin'?!" She had come running up the queue to stop us from what she thought we were doing. Now, I have an enormous amount of patience, but by now I was ready to turn around and say, "Look lady, I plan to buy all of this someday, and I'm not some disrespectful kid lookin' to skip the line. The rope was down, and this was simply a miscommunication," but I didn't. Anyway, she continued - in a tone reminescent of mother telling her son, "We don't play with knives do we?" "This is the FastPass line," she said. Then she added a, "Mmm'hmm." I honestly feel if I would have stared at her, then leaped over the FastPass line, she would have shouted, "Security!" I just simply smiled and said, "Thanks..." then I paused and dramatically looked down at her nametag and said, "Jill, from South Bend, Indiana, you have a magical day!" I slowly walked back out through the queue, and ironically, the rope was up. Even if we were to cross over into the FastPass line, we couldn't get past the CM who collects the FastPasses.

In short, I personally believe that there is no justification for her actions. She was unnecessarily rude, and did not handle the situation the way I feel a WDW CM should have.

You may feel that there was no justification for her actions, which, in a perfect world, is true. Being an Attractions CM, I know how these things go. Sometimes you REALLY do have to act towards the people as if you're herding cows, and no easy to do it.

About the rope comment: Working at an attraction that has a postshow, you'd be surprised how many times, when something breaks and we put a sign saying it's broken and a rope, and STILL people proceed to play it. It's unfathomable really. So when it comes to that...oh yeah. That's part of a major peeve we have.

Bout her going nuts with you going to the Bazaar from the gated area: VERY bad no-no. Before I went into attractions, I was Merch and I've done quite a few shifts over there. ONLY CM's must cross between Load and Unload. It's a very hazardous area to be in (plus until several months ago, there was no supports next to the track; aka, if someone fell, it would be VERY bad).

We gotta be loud in order to ensure our safety standards, even if it means we have to shake people out of apathy in order to do so.

There are some days, I always love to say, that sometimes people are stampeding elephants; sometimes mindless elephants; sometimes mindless, stampeding elephants; deer in the headlights; and finally, regular, decent people. If it's a day where first four are in play (ESPECIALLY the 3rd), we're bound to get riled up.

Skipper Dan

Original Poster
You may feel that there was no justification for her actions, which, in a perfect world, is true. Being an Attractions CM, I know how these things go. Sometimes you REALLY do have to act towards the people as if you're herding cows, and no easy to do it.

About the rope comment: Working at an attraction that has a postshow, you'd be surprised how many times, when something breaks and we put a sign saying it's broken and a rope, and STILL people proceed to play it. It's unfathomable really. So when it comes to that...oh yeah. That's part of a major peeve we have.

Bout her going nuts with you going to the Bazaar from the gated area: VERY bad no-no. Before I went into attractions, I was Merch and I've done quite a few shifts over there. ONLY CM's must cross between Load and Unload. It's a very hazardous area to be in (plus until several months ago, there was no
supports next to the track; aka, if someone fell, it would be VERY bad).

We gotta be loud in order to ensure our safety standards, even if it means we have to shake people out of apathy in order to do so.

There are some days, I always love to say, that sometimes people are stampeding elephants; sometimes mindless elephants; sometimes mindless, stampeding elephants; deer in the headlights; and finally, regular, decent people. If it's a day where first four are in play (ESPECIALLY the 3rd), we're bound to get riled up.

I think that you completely misunderstood my entire statement. First, there WAS NO rope. Second, I would never, and didn't proceed from the gated area, to the Bazaar. We simply walked BACK THROUGH the queue, towards where you enter the single riders line. I assume the reason she proceeded to confront us the second time, was because she thought that we were trying to enter the FastPass line, as her following statement - that I forgot to mention - was, "The exit (entrance) is that way!" Which was the way we were going.

RobGraves

I was ready to turn around and say, "Look lady, I plan to buy all of this someday,

If I were still a CM, and you said that... i would have lost my job from laughing at you. a LOT... like they would need to call 911 was cause i wouldnt have been able to breathe.

then i probably would have gathered a crowd around to laugh at you.

like what would have happened had your parents sent you to real school.

fastpass7300

Everest

I think that you completely misunderstood my entire statement. First, there WAS NO rope. Second, I would never, and didn't proceed from the gated area, to the Bazaar. We simply walked BACK THROUGH the queue, towards where you enter the single riders line. I assume the reason she proceeded to confront us the second time, was because she thought that we were trying to enter the FastPass line, as her following statement - that I forgot to mention - was, "The exit (entrance) is that way!" Which was the way we were going.

As a former Everest Attractions CM, I think I can clarify. The area that the single rider line uses from the sign on the wall to the gate serves multiple purposes. In addition to being the entrance to the single rider line it serves as, entrance/exit for CMs, exit for guests not riding, emergency path for Reedy Creek medic to pass through, and home to the test seat for large/disabled guests. Because of all these uses that path must be kept open and in theory clear. Although the managers do not support asking guests to move out of the way. Guests are notorious for blocking the gate and forcing you to drag them with the gate to open it. In any case, do to the need to keep this open their are no ropes and chains. However, there is a sign and a CM is present if the line open. However, if you take a left at that gate into the actual single riders line area, you will see a chain up to block your path. I am not saying that it may not have been down. I have seen way to often people remove the chain and leave it down. Then others come in through the open chain. Now unfortunately for everyone some imagineer with no operational sense decided that the single rider line, the fastpass line, and the front row line should all be connected and divided by simple easily jumpable chains. The fastpass guests always jump into front row. The single riders jump into the fastpass line. When this happens it puts more stress on the CMs in the station. As I said, you may have gone through an area where the chain was already down and after confronted may have gone over the fastpass line chain to exit. That's not your fault but when a cast member sees it happen every 10 minutes, and it is quite often intentional, it gets on your nerves. I have personally closed off that chain and turned the sign to close and watched people stop at the chain then duck under and come through. I have also had those who think I'm not looking try to climb under the chains to the fastpass line. And yes it is possible for them to get past the CM collecting the passes. You also see single riders jump into the adjacent front row line, which they are not allowed to be in since they are space fillers. The fastpass line also tries to jump into the front row line. Let's not forget fastpass guests going to the single rider line cause they can't figure out how to turn the corner in the fastpass line or fastpass guests who get into the singles line cause they think it is the fast pass line. When you have to watch for and confront these guests it is easy to get frustrated. Hope that helps.

Skipper Dan

Original Poster
As a former Everest Attractions CM, I think I can clarify. The area that the single rider line uses from the sign on the wall to the gate serves multiple purposes. In addition to being the entrance to the single rider line it serves as, entrance/exit for CMs, exit for guests not riding, emergency path for Reedy Creek medic to pass through, and home to the test seat for large/disabled guests. Because of all these uses that path must be kept open and in theory clear. Although the managers do not support asking guests to move out of the way. Guests are notorious for blocking the gate and forcing you to drag them with the gate to open it. In any case, do to the need to keep this open their are no ropes and chains. However, there is a sign and a CM is present if the line open. However, if you take a left at that gate into the actual single riders line area, you will see a chain up to block your path. I am not saying that it may not have been down. I have seen way to often people remove the chain and leave it down. Then others come in through the open chain. Now unfortunately for everyone some imagineer with no operational sense decided that the single rider line, the fastpass line, and the front row line should all be connected and divided by simple easily jumpable chains. The fastpass guests always jump into front row. The single riders jump into the fastpass line. When this happens it puts more stress on the CMs in the station. As I said, you may have gone through an area where the chain was already down and after confronted may have gone over the fastpass line chain to exit. That's not your fault but when a cast member sees it happen every 10 minutes, and it is quite often intentional, it gets on your nerves. I have personally closed off that chain and turned the sign to close and watched people stop at the chain then duck under and come through. I have also had those who think I'm not looking try to climb under the chains to the fastpass line. And yes it is possible for them to get past the CM collecting the passes. You also see single riders jump into the adjacent front row line, which they are not allowed to be in since they are space fillers. The fastpass line also tries to jump into the front row line. Let's not forget fastpass guests going to the single rider line cause they can't figure out how to turn the corner in the fastpass line or fastpass guests who get into the singles line cause they think it is the fast pass line. When you have to watch for and confront these guests it is easy to get frustrated. Hope that helps.

Believe me, I completely understand. What you just said, was exactly correct in every detail, as to what I thought she was thinking. It's no big deal at all, I just wasn't pleased with her attitude. I've never experienced a CM THAT rude in my twenty years of living and going to WDW.

Plain and simple, the sign said closed, but I didn't notice. The rope/chain was down, so I naturally didn't think there would be a problem. My girlfriend headed back, and crossed over into the FastPast line to do so. By that time, we were apparently judged as "medling kids."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom