Expo Just like Epcot, Could it get sued

cheezbat

Wow...Nara Dreamland...

Main Street, a castle, Adventureland, a Jungle Cruise, a Fantasyland with carousel and tea cups, storybook style boat ride, a Matterhorn style coaster, sky ride, wannabe monorail, Autopia style car ride, rockets...

Probably the closest Disneyland ripoff I've ever seen!

It would be awesome to have a Disney Halloween fan event in a park like that!

Bob Saget

Wow...Nara Dreamland...

Main Street, a castle, Adventureland, a Jungle Cruise, a Fantasyland with carousel and tea cups, storybook style boat ride, a Matterhorn style coaster, sky ride, wannabe monorail, Autopia style car ride, rockets...

Probably the closest Disneyland ripoff I've ever seen!
I found the listing of all the lands/attractions of Nara Dreamland in another thread.
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/is-it-legal-to-open-a-disney-themed-park.840605/
Hard to believe they could get away with such a ripoff on Disney's layouts & creations.

Phonedave

Europa Park in Germany has many Disney rip off rides. Europa is very similar to Epcot in theme as you can see, this is the France area. This is Spaceship Earth infused with Space Mountain and is called EuroSat:

Europa-Park_Francio_Eurosat_1.jpg

Wow, talk about different safety requirements. Look at that bench on the right. You get up, stumble just a bit, and SPLASH- you are in the drink. It does look really nice, but not a single guard rail anywhere.

-dave

thomas998

If I were to build a futureistic theme park with the same rides with different scenery, names and music, possibly a World Showcase and a firework/laser show with the same story as Illuminations but a different name and different music would I get sued?
As long as you didn't give it a name that could be mistaken for EPCOT or infringe on an actual copyright you would be safe... Trouble would come if you decided to have a guy in a mouse suit running around name Mikey Mouse or something like that.

lazyboy97o

Even if you were able to make a copy, it would lack the heart of the original that was derived from more than just its physical form and immediate content.

DisJosh

I was always amazed with Nara Dreamland and their not so subtle use of Disneyland imagery and attractions. Now it just looks like a great place to explore. We had an amusement park here in Rhode Island called Rocky Point. It closed when I was a teenager, at the height of my interest in "urban exploration." Needless to say I hopped the fence a handful of times. :D

kimberlymautz

there's that one other park too, in china it's pretty much abandoned now (the land is used by farmers) but you can see all the structures for a castle like the one at DLR and all of the architecture is very fantasyland-esque
2011-12-12T045257Z_01_PXP207_RTRIDSP_3_CHINA-233.jpg

2011-12-12T045228Z_01_PXP201_RTRIDSP_3_CHINA.jpg

This place looks awesome. I say we hop on a plane and check it out ourselves. :p

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster
As long as you didn't give it a name that could be mistaken for EPCOT or infringe on an actual copyright you would be safe... Trouble would come if you decided to have a guy in a mouse suit running around name Mikey Mouse or something like that.
It's all my own work, no characters, it's all about the guests adventure, just like classic future world.

Ansley

Wow, talk about different safety requirements. Look at that bench on the right. You get up, stumble just a bit, and SPLASH- you are in the drink. It does look really nice, but not a single guard rail anywhere.

-dave

First, Europe and the rest of the world is VERY refreshing. Not a bunch of safety Nazis ruining everything. People are actually well behaved and responsible for their own actions, something I can't say for most of the USA. I love visiting theme parks and other places without barriers everywhere!

Second, Checkout this photo of Expo 67, obviously from 1967, a World's Fair in Montreal. So who's coping who.... I suspect that Disney go their idea from this, I'm sure it is the case and you can find some research to show that. Walt also visited De Efteling in the Netherlands and Bakkaan in Denmark before designing Disneyland in CA. He used these as inspiration, I think he even mentioned it at one time. He took the best of what he had seen.

Expo67_14.jpeg

Tom Morrow

First, Europe and the rest of the world is VERY refreshing. Not a bunch of safety Nazis ruining everything. People are actually well behaved and responsible for their own actions, something I can't say for most of the USA. I love visiting theme parks and other places without barriers everywhere!
So is that why their safety records are significantly worse? Is that why some foreigners come to WDW and think its okay to stand up and get out of moving ride vehicles?

Last edited:

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster
My parks based on the world, there are no country pavilions. There are by any means no building that will look Identical to anything at Epcot. The only ripped off Attraction in my design would be a renamed Horizons. And even what would be different. Same shape, White Building with blue beams and pillars. It's more based on invention, ideas, creativity, imagination, natural landmarks, nature, discovery, and it's all around a lake that will feature the worlds biggest laser show. There will be a pavilion called journey around the world with scenery and IMAX projections, it will also feature a small section for little setups for different countries kind of like the food and wine festival where each country has a little setup in a small area to test different foods and things will be switched out constantly. It will have a few grandfathered attractions and will open 4 years after I somehow cone across the money.

Last edited:

Phonedave

I guess I should have known that based on all of the well behaived and responsible forigen tour groups I see in WDW. They are always polite, quiet, never cut lines, and never pretend that they do not understand English as an excuse for their behavior.

I also enjoy all of the lead that goes into childrens toys from China, and all those people getting up in arms about rice actually being made out of plastic and passed off as real rice - I find that refreshing as well.

You know what else is refreshing? Polio. To bad we eliminated it in the US, but you can still pick it up overseas if you really want it.

All snarkiness aside, yes I do belive that in some aspects people in the US have lost responsibility for their own actions. But on the other hand, moving a bench back a few feet from the edge of a lake in a park where there will be small children is not what I would call excessive.

-dave

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom