News Exploratory geotechnical borings for new Epcot retention pond suggest new projects are in the works

Stripes

Rapid.... I wouldn’t say rapid but things are still happening.

From what I know (which isn’t nearly everything and I don’t claim to be right!) these are still happening

A UK development
Brazil
A new night show
The central spine will be altered
A new movie in Circle of Life eventually
Wonders should be used for more than storage and festivals
There is long term discussion for the Imag complex and SSE but this is way in the distance
I’m surprised there’s been no movement with the Space TSR yet.

There’s a few other things I don’t think have been discussed yet that are proposed, but I can’t mention them unless they become apparent. Some things I assume are still going to happen (like the China update) but are conspicuous by their recent quietness.
Can you give us an update on the spine project?

Also, has the Land and Seas project been dropped? I hope not, especially considering you indicated you were hopeful about the Seas proposal.

rle4lunch

Luckily, according to @marni1971 I think, a great many people in high up positions hold a lot of respect for the attraction, so it has that going for it, at least.

If they really respected the ride they would've kept the last 1/3 it relevant instead of having guests stare at blank walls and then look at a shoddy computer screen that "predicts your future".

Haymarket2008

If they really respected the ride they would've kept the last 1/3 it relevant instead of having guests stare at blank walls and then look at a shoddy computer screen that "predicts your future".

Yet, during that very same refurbishment they enhanced the first half in some really fantastic ways. The descent is a tragedy, but not all bad came from this version.

rle4lunch

Yet, during that very same refurbishment they enhanced the first half in some really fantastic ways. The descent is a tragedy, but not all bad came from this version.
I grew up with the Cronkite and Irons versions, which seemed much more encyclopedia britannica. The current version is like world history summed up by wikipedia or cliff notes.

I realize the it's 60% the same ride, but that other 40% is sorely missed.

Haymarket2008

I grew up with the Cronkite and Irons versions, which seemed much more encyclopedia britannica. The current version is like world history summed up by wikipedia or cliff notes.

I realize the it's 60% the same ride, but that other 40% is sorely missed.

I completely agree. The Irons descent is so incredibly moving to me. That score, those visuals, just spectacular. Such a shame.

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Wednesday, August 15, 2018. The first retention pond is established, with sod in place around the perimeter. This first retention pond is closest to the Epcot bus terminal lot. Work continues on what appears to be a series of individual retention ponds along the Epcot monorail line, each separated by berms to allow easier access to behind the ponds.

IMG_0655.JPG

IMG_0650.JPG

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Any chance the ferry boats around the Epcot resorts will be extended?

Close to zero. Though, according to @marni1971, it was once considered. Problem is that the bodies of water from World Showcase to Crescent Lake to DHS are elevated and separate from all the surrounding canals. In fact, the canal leading out of WS to CL is a water bridge -- literally a bridge of water -- that crosses over a canal!

So, to extend that water way to other resorts, there'd be massive grading and berming and more water bridges and more vehicular bridges.

The gondola was the alternative. With the money spent on that, extending the ferries is dead dead.

Next Big Thing

Close to zero. Though, according to @marni1971, it was once considered. Problem is that the bodies of water from World Showcase to Crescent Lake to DHS are elevated and separate from all the surrounding canals. In fact, the canal leading out of WS to CL is a water bridge -- literally a bridge of water -- that crosses over a canal!

So, to extend that water way to other resorts, there'd be massive grading and berming and more water bridges and more vehicular bridges.

The gondola was the alternative. With the money spent on that, extending the ferries is dead dead.
It doesn't cross over a canal, it crosses over an actual road, much like the way Seven Seas Lagoon connects to Bay Lake.

Lensman

I don't know why I haven't thought to ask the following before, given that I knew about the difference in water levels:
1. How much is the difference in water levels? 10 feet? More?
2. Given that World Showcase Lagoon is above the natural level of lakes and waterways in the area, how is the level of the lake maintained? Is it natural? Is the bottom of the lake (above the natural level) lined to prevent infiltration of the water down to the level of the water table? I guess a more general question is how is the level of the lagoon (and Crescent Lake) maintained?

BTW, as a crazy idea they could always build a lock to transfer boats from one level to the other! That would be quite exciting for some people! Well, maybe just me. (but it might not be so good for the boat schedule - it would be faster to get out and transfer) Or they could use the boats from PotC and have them hauled up one way and take a plunge down in the other direction! haha!

THE Monorail Lime

Disney Purest “there called friendship boats?!”

MrHappy

Photo update as of Wednesday, August 15, 2018. The first retention pond is established, with sod in place around the perimeter. This first retention pond is closest to the Epcot bus terminal lot. Work continues on what appears to be a series of individual retention ponds along the Epcot monorail line, each separated by berms to allow easier access to behind the ponds.

View attachment 304132

View attachment 304133
Shallow standing water. Perfect.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom