Explaining Why Stitch's Great Escape is so Scary

FoxTheNerd

Original Poster
So, on my last trip to Disney, I saw Stitch's great escape, and I'll be fair. It scared the crap out of me, from the dark lights to the idea that Stitch is on your seat.I think a lot of people can agree with me when I say that it's not very fun. But why? This isn't considered a horror attraction, and none of the other rides revolved around classics scare the crap out of you, so why? Well, after some research. I think I've figured out. First, we're going to have to look at Disneyworld in 1955. In 1955, Disney opened Tommorowland's newest attraction: ExtraTERRORstrial Alien Encounter. In it, you would meet an alien that terrorized you in multiple different ways, and clearly, this ride was meant to be scary. I mean, they bothered with the play on words in the title, and just look at this thing!
disneysea_update_008ff.jpg

It's hideous, clearly. I mean, look at those teeth! Anyways, this ride was closed later, and was replaced with Stitch's great escape. Now, how is this bad, you may ask? Well, they literally had the exact same plot at ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter, but with Stitch in it. I'll admit it's a lot more cuddly, but that doesn't make it any less creepy. Plus, the taco breath gets me every time. Literally, though,even the pre-show is almost identical to that of Stitch's Great Escape's "father," so to speak. However, at least Disney tried, because there's no denying it has the lights on for the majority. I mean, the lights turn off, but not for as long....? What do you guys think?

PorterRedkey

Hello.

I think you may be a little confused.

• Disneyland opened in 1955, not DisneyWorld.
  • ExtraTERROestrial Alien Encounter opened in Walt Disney World's Tomorrowland in 1995, after briefly opening in late 1994.
  • The picture is of the lava monster in the Tokyo Disney Sea attraction Journey to the Center of the Earth.
Stich is a terrible attraction. It is too scary for the younger audience and too juvenile for adults.

FoxTheNerd

Original Poster
Hello.

I think you may be a little confused.

• Disneyland opened in 1955, not DisneyWorld.
  • ExtraTERROestrial Alien Encounter opened in Walt Disney World's Tomorrowland in 1995, after briefly opening in late 1994.
  • The picture is of the lava monster in the Tokyo Disney Sea attraction Journey to the Center of the Earth.
Stich is a terrible attraction. It is too scary for the younger audience and too juvenile for adults.

You're right! Sorry about that!

JIMINYCR

I think a lot of people think Stitch is a poor replacement for AE. And not fun. You were scared by Stitch???? Oh dear....Were you able to handle HM?? Theme park have always had dark rides and haunted houses and various themed attractions that get your blood pumping and gives you a thrill. Why do people think Disney has to be all marshmallow & fluff with nothing that gives any kind of a thrill. The parks are for all ages and most teens and adults are looking for a thrill. All the rides have warnings and all the guide books have descriptions and there are many videos around that show the ride throughs.... too bad you were caught off guard. Not all rides are appropriate for all ages or people that cant handle motion. Guests need to heed the posted warnings.

Not all attractions are for everyone and Disney shouldnt have to keep all their rides calm and boring.

Last edited:

FoxTheNerd

Original Poster
I think a lot of people think Stitch is a poor replacement for AE. And not fun. You were scared by Stitch???? Oh dear....Were you able to handle HM?? Theme park have always had dark rides and haunted houses and various themed attractions that get your blood pumping and gives you a thrill. Why do people think Disney has to be all marshmallow & fluff with nothing that gives any kind of a thrill. The parks are for all ages and most teens and adults are looking for a thrill. All the rides have warnings and all the guide books have descriptions and there are many videos around that show the ride throughs.... too bad you were caught off guard. Not all rides are appropriate for all ages or people that cant handle motion. Guests need to heed the posted warnings.
walt-disney-world-magic-kingdom-tomorrowland-stitchs-great-escape-warning-sign-01.jpg

Not all attractions are for everyone and Disney shouldnt have to keep all their rides calm and boring.

I thought that was one of the complaints. Crap, I need to research this stuff better.

Amidala

Welcome to the forums! Love your BNHA icon. This is a pretty brief/informative video about Alien Encounter, and there are probably many more like it in the related videos! I'm pretty easily scared, but I still think I would have preferred AE to Stitch...Really hoping the attraction gets replaced soon (whether it's w/ the rumored Wreck-It-Ralph attraction or something else entirely) because everything that made AE a suspenseful and fun experience was lost or watered down in the transition into SGE.

Kind of related, but here is a POV video of Journey to the Center of the Earth (the attraction in Tokyo DisneySea that features the lava monster) in case you wanted to check it out! I've always been really jealous of people who were able to ride it...this combination of thrills and really strong dark-ride theming (with animatronics, plant-life, etc.) is something I really love in Splash Mountain and would love to see more at WDW honestly.

FoxTheNerd

Original Poster
Welcome to the forums! Love your BNHA icon. This is a pretty brief/informative video about Alien Encounter, and there are probably many more like it in the related videos! I'm pretty easily scared, but I still think I would have preferred AE to Stitch...Really hoping the attraction gets replaced soon (whether it's w/ the rumored Wreck-It-Ralph attraction or something else entirely) because everything that made AE a suspenseful and fun experience was lost or watered down in the transition into SGE.

Kind of related, but here is a POV video of Journey to the Center of the Earth (the attraction in Tokyo DisneySea that features the lava monster) in case you wanted to check it out! I've always been really jealous of people who were able to ride it...this combination of thrills and really strong dark-ride theming (with animatronics, plant-life, etc.) is something I really love in Splash Mountain and would love to see more at WDW honestly.

Thanks! I decided to join because I'm a complete park nerd. Heh.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom