Expedition Everest effects status watch

SteveAZee

I think that if Iger and others want to convey a "we're listening and we care" message, I would think fixing the Yeti would be a good place to show that. If the long term decline in Disney park fandom (and attendance) comes from both a loss of quality and an increase in costs (and they don't want to decrease prices), then bumping up the quality by replacing the broken Yeti would be a good place to start.

BlakeW39

Because satisfaction, at least the metric as measured by Disney, can only go so high. Let's say the current mean satisfaction rating for the ride is 8.9. How much higher might a functioning yeti push it? How much higher might cleaning up the hairbands push it? How much higher might restoring the mist machine push it? There are diminishing returns when the ride is already highly satisfying and no one (or basically no one) realizes anything about it is broken.

See and that's where I believe you are conflating things. Guest satisfaction as quantitatively measured by Disney can only go so high. That is certainly correct. If guest satisfaction, on a quantitative scale, is already high for Everest then there isn't any way Disney can improve the attraction which will result in significantly higher guest satisfaction scores. Because guest satisfaction would already be (almost) as high as Disney is willing to measure it.

However actual guest satisfaction— that is, the enjoyment guests get out of an experience —does not 'only go so far.' There are always means by which Disney can improve its attractions that will result in guests enjoying them more. Bringing back the yeti is an example of that. Plussing BTMR is another. So instead of asking this question,

How would you rate the impressiveness of the animatronics on Expedition Everest during your last visit?

one could more aptly ask guests to compare to the two versions of the attraction. Let's say we could hypothetically sit guests down to ride EE with and without the yeti show scene, and then ask them which version they preferred. If they preferred the attraction with the giant yeti AA, then the yeti necessarily improves guest satisfaction of the ride. If guests said they liked both versions and that the yeti didn't really do that much for them, then that would mean the yeti wouldn't improve guest satisfaction and bringing it back would have no benefit for the park.

I however am 100% banking on the former. Remember, EE as a coaster actually ain't all that. It's fun, but it's no Steel Vengeance or VelociCoaster. The ride system isn't that special and no one needs to spend thousands of dollars or travel thousands of miles to go on what is essentially a middling rollercoaster. I got CP 2+ hours away. What brings Disney over the top is its theming. That includes EE. The yeti was THE headlining themed/story moment of the attraction. Losing it means losing one of the main 'wow moments' of the ride. Bringing it back means wowing guests more than they are being wowed currently.

bad show is a missed opportunity for good show. Good show equals higher attraction quality. Higher attraction quality equals a more enjoyable experience for guests. No yeti on EE is a glaring example of this.

BlakeW39

I think that if Iger and others want to convey a "we're listening and we care" message, I would think fixing the Yeti would be a good place to show that. If the long term decline in Disney park fandom (and attendance) comes from both a loss of quality and an increase in costs (and they don't want to decrease prices), then bumping up the quality by replacing the broken Yeti would be a good place to start.

I'm with you 1000%....

but they aren't and they don't. sadly

James Alucobond

See and that's where I believe you are conflating things. Guest satisfaction as quantitatively measured by Disney can only go so high. That is certainly correct. If guest satisfaction, on a quantitative scale, is already high for Everest then there isn't any way Disney can improve the attraction which will result in significantly higher guest satisfaction scores. Because guest satisfaction would already be (almost) as high as Disney is willing to measure it.

However actual guest satisfaction— that is, the enjoyment guests get out of an experience —does not 'only go so far.' There are always means by which Disney can improve its attractions that will result in guests enjoying them more. Bringing back the yeti is an example of that. Plussing BTMR is another. So instead of asking this question,

one could more aptly ask guests to compare to the two versions of the attraction. Let's say we could hypothetically sit guests down to ride EE with and without the yeti show scene, and then ask them which version they preferred. If they preferred the attraction with the giant yeti AA, then the yeti necessarily improves guest satisfaction of the ride. If guests said they liked both versions and that the yeti didn't really do that much for them, then that would mean the yeti wouldn't improve guest satisfaction and bringing it back would have no benefit for the park.

I however am 100% banking on the former. Remember, EE as a coaster actually ain't all that. It's fun, but it's no Steel Vengeance or VelociCoaster. The ride system isn't that special and no one needs to spend thousands of dollars or travel thousands of miles to go on what is essentially a middling rollercoaster. I got CP 2+ hours away. What brings Disney over the top is its theming. That includes EE. The yeti was THE headlining themed/story moment of the attraction. Losing it means losing one of the main 'wow moments' of the ride. Bringing it back means wowing guests more than they are being wowed currently.

bad show is a missed opportunity for good show. Good show equals higher attraction quality. Higher attraction quality equals a more enjoyable experience for guests. No yeti on EE is a glaring example of this.
Apologies; I wasn’t attempting to conflate things. When I say “guest satisfaction”, I am pretty much universally referring to the metric rather than an intangible wow factor, mostly because the former is likely what gets used to make actual decisions. I obviously agree the ride is more impressive when it has more impressive effects, but what I’m saying is that you have an attraction that already has high satisfaction scores, is already considered a must-ride experience at the park, and provides an enjoyable show that 99% of patrons are unaware is diminished in any way. So, from a business perspective, are you better served by fixing an expensive, imperceptible problem like the yeti that has little if any impact on the scores you have to report to your boss, or do you get more bang for your buck by focusing on attractions that are visibly in a state of disrepair or aren’t pulling their weight in terms of guest traffic?

X-S Technician

Recent trip report. Bird on a stick still missing. All water effects were turned on and steam was working at the load station. They were running a lot of trains but we hit all sections with perfect timing. Yeti looks great, can only imagine what it looks like when he’s moving. Is it time to admit Disney will never fix it?

Recent trip report. Bird on a stick still missing. All water effects were turned on and steam was working at the load station. They were running a lot of trains but we hit all sections with perfect timing. Yeti looks great, can only imagine what it looks like when he’s moving. Is it time to admit Disney will never fix it?
Disney will fix it. The mountain is a massive permanent structure that's impossible to re-theme and would be a struggle to tear down. It will be open until Animal Kingdom definitively closes, whenever that is. It will probably be 10-40 years from now, but eventually Everest will be old enough that it needs a massive overhaul like Matterhorn has had several times, and eventually they will fix the yeti.

Cmdr_Crimson

Yeti looks great, can only imagine what it looks like when he’s moving. Is it time to admit Disney will never fix it?
Yep, I guess will never know....😏
tumblr_pb8qt5oyEE1wzypxlo1_500.gif

thelookingglass

It should be addressed that the rockwork around the structure itself is looking very filthy. It's all covered in "Florida rooftop grime" and a lot of it has turned black. It doesn't look like natural dirt, but I'm guessing Disney hopes it does and that is their excuse for not giving it a facelift.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom