News Expect closure of Hong Kong Disneyland and Shanghai Disneyland to impact Walt Disney World

TrainsOfDisney

These types of cuts also hurt employee morale which hurts the quality of the job they do and the guest experience.

And guests can see when the park is packed and not all food and beverage lanes are open, all the security tables aren’t staffed, etc.

Guests may not know there are less jungle cruise boats running or less safari trucks but they will know they waited a long time.

el_super

It will be the usual - mostly labor. Example - reducing the number of CMs at a store. Where you had say 6 registers open, you have 4. Doesn't drastically change things, but means a longer wait.

How many of those 6 were cut the last go around? If they went from 6 to 4 in 2016, are we now saying they are going from 4 to 2 with these cuts or at some point between 2016 and today were they restored and are being cut again?

And how do the savings in labor being proposed in these current round of cuts compare to extending hours at Hollywood Studios or random extensions at Magic Kingdom?

And how would we even know how much of this is directly due to a virus in China? (And news that literally still just days old) versus continuing weakness after SWGE opening? These things are hard to tease apart.

techgeek

Although let me also add, as I mentioned in the DLR thread, that if this virus continue to spread and cities keep getting locked down in China, supply chain issues will eventually impact the parks.

I think the greater concern if the situation continues to worsen both inside and outside China is the potential for a decreased travel market worldwide. Postponed vacations, business travel cutbacks... especially from international markets. I think a lot of people are taking a wait and see attitude at the moment, but that could change in days at the rate this story has been moving.

Lilofan

I think the greater concern if the situation continues to worsen both inside and outside China is the potential for a decreased travel market worldwide. Postponed vacations, business travel cutbacks... especially from international markets. I think a lot of people are taking a wait and see attitude at the moment, but that could change in days at the rate this story has been moving.
International stock markets are impacted but a good time to buy during a dip.

Last edited:

JoeCamel

Although let me also add, as I mentioned in the DLR thread, that if this virus continue to spread and cities keep getting locked down in China, supply chain issues will eventually impact the parks.
It will affect more than the parks.
Think of how many things are manufactured in China that may have disruptions if people cannot go about their daily business to work and manufacture them?
Your daily lives are filled by things that may not be available for months or longer depending on how severe this bug becomes.
Also the affected countries may start taking measures of their own to prevent contagion.
If this gets bad in the US (west coast = lots of china travel) parks may be closed to prevent spreading it further and other large gatherings of people may be prohibited. This is way beyond theme parks and getting into our everyday lives.

ptaylor

Premium Member
The Shanghai and Kong Kong resorts have relatively little net effect on the bottom line. If cuts occur, it’s more likely because of how they fear the virus may affect revenue at WDW and DL.
This is a company that sees the need to cut 2 equity performers at Rivers of Light because they are a problem to the bottom line. You can be very sure that the two park closures are a huge impact to DPEP.

HauntedMansionFLA

These cuts are absolutely necessary. Without Hong Kong or Shanghai open, the boss says Disney is nearing bankruptcy. If anyone wants to donate to the Disney Preservation Fund, I will be accepting money through PayPal. Drastic times call for drastic measures.
I'm hearing that in the wake of closures of both Hong Kong Disneyland and Shanghai Disneyland that there will be some tightening of the belt at Walt Disney World. Savings will need to be made, likely starting with labor.
Hostile takeover by Apple

TP2000

Some of our folks on the Disneyland sub-forum ought to be enjoying their heapin' helpin' of crow right about now after they insisted the international parks were insulated and the previous #ThanksShanghai of a few years ago was overblown. @TP2000 deserves props for calling this first as to Disneyland USA.

Thanks. I started that thread last week, literally a few minutes after I read the news online that Shanghai Disneyland had been closed indefinitely. I could see the writing on the wall, and Mr. Chapek is apparently staying true to form.

The Disneyland thread I started last week on this topic, which is an interesting one with eclectic opinions as most Disneyland threads are, can be found here... https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads...losed-indefinitely-due-to-coronavirus.963028/

Stop on by, if you dare! 😷

Last edited:

DisneyDebRob

But the Club 33, APs and DVC members will still be happy, even if their memberships go up. Such is the magic of WDW,
I think you mean new people buying into DVC. Points to buy in go up every time they open a new resort. For us that have been in for many years, points to rent can’t change. If you mean yearly maintenance fees, they do go up a few bucks yearly it seems but would have nothing to do with what thread is about.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom