Excavator Coaster Coming to Dinoland U.S.A.?

Dinoman96

The thing about Animal Kingdom in general is that the whole experience is meant to be played in a first person perspective. There's a reason the park was advertised as "the most adventurous Walt Disney World park ever!", and that's because it's supposed to be about the guests' journey.

Expedition Everest has us traveleling up the Himalayans and inadvertently intruding upon the Yeti's territory. DINOSAUR has us whisked back in time on a high speed chase to rescuse an Iquanodon from extinction. Kilimanjaro Safaris has us embark on a peaceful trip through an african wildlife reserve. Flight of Passage gets us involved in a Banshee conservation program established on Pandora and has us flying around through the planet on our very own Avatars connected to said Banshees. You kinda get the picture. It's always about "us".

Suffice to say, I know there's a lot of people want a traditional dark ride based on something like The Lion King or Jungle Book in the park, but I just don't think those type of attractions, Fantasyland esque dark rides where the visitors witness the events unfolding from a distance rather than actually partaking in them, really have a place in Animal Kingdom.

Last edited:

HMF

Suffice to say, I know there's a lot of people want a traditional dark ride based on something like The Lion King or Jungle Book in the park, but I just don't think those type of attractions, Fantasyland esque dark rides where the visitors witness the events unfolding from a distance rather than actually partaking in them, really have a place in Animal Kingdom.
You do know that originally the dark rides were supposed to be focusing on you and be very different from the source material originally right, The advent of the "Book Report" Dark Ride is a relatively recent phenomenon.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Was The Good Dinosaur so disappointing, financially and critically, that no one is really asking for a dark ride? I haven't seen it, so I'm genuinely curious. I'm going to assume it's not likely to happen, but would it have had the potential to be worthy of a dark ride, i.e. adequate characters, scenery, songs? Surely they would have considered it, synergy and all

Yes.

upload_2017-8-24_2-9-53.png

DisneyCane

I don't know where that chart comes from but "profit" on a movie is not remotely calculated that way, nor is ROI. The studio doesn't get all of the gross (they end up with 50 something percent usually, a little higher for Disney domestically but international is lower). Marketing costs aren't included in the budget. The production is financed so they have to pay interest on the budget. Then there is more revenue from home video release, etc.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
I don't know where that chart comes from but "profit" on a movie is not remotely calculated that way, nor is ROI. The studio doesn't get all of the gross (they end up with 50 something percent usually, a little higher for Disney domestically but international is lower). Marketing costs aren't included in the budget. The production is financed so they have to pay interest on the budget. Then there is more revenue from home video release, etc.

It's obviously just gross-budget and not including other expenses or other forms of revenue from the movie. It provides a shorthand data point for comparison.

Daveeeeed

The profit assumption is terribly wrong though. The Good Dinosaur was the first Pixar film to lose money coming out of theaters. Budget + marketing + theater’s take of sales + taxes made it not even break even. Though I would imagine eventually it will break even.
It was a nothing special film besides the animation, but you have to have a good story as #1 priority for any film if you want it to be successful. Unlike Illumination’s recent flashy films that have terrific marketing but are not incredible, The Good Dinosaur had uninspiring marketing as well that digged it deeper into its grave. Again it wasn’t terrible, but Pixar is known for a high standard product, and IMO the only films that have not delivered that have been TGD & Cars 2. Of course, there are B quality films like Finding Dory l but they are at least on par with Despicable Me 2’s quality.
To me, Moana & Zootopia at Walt Disney Animation is where Pixar went. Personally, I’m also pretty confident that Incredibles 2 will be one of Picar’s best films, and truly the only one that was dying for a sequel. Inside Out proves they still have it, but they should shoot to release 1 film per year at Pixar instead of two. If Coco is bad then they should definitely not do that anymore.

Daveeeeed

Beat me to it! :) But the chart pretty much proves that it did initially flop, as that will only look worse when spread over years. That being said, video can save a movie, but that takes a while.
The thing about Animal Kingdom in general is that the whole experience is meant to be played in a first person perspective. There's a reason the park was advertised as "the most adventurous Walt Disney World park ever!", and that's because it's supposed to be about the guests' journey.

Expedition Everest has us traveleling up the Himalayans and inadvertently intruding upon the Yeti's territory. DINOSAUR has us whisked back in time on a high speed chase to rescuse an Iquanodon from extinction. Kilimanjaro Safaris has us embark on a peaceful trip through an african wildlife reserve. Flight of Passage gets us involved in a Banshee conservation program established on Pandora and has us flying around through the planet on our very own Avatars connected to said Banshees. You kinda get the picture. It's always about "us".

I think you are part of it on IJA as much as Dinosaur. With a little twisting that story part could work.
Definitely think AK needs an all out dark ride like Mystic Manor, but built originally for the park. One where you are part of the experience.
I think a tour is going to be the best of what Disney can do for making you feel like you are part of the experience, but there are other ways to do it. If a Jungle Book Ride comes then I think it will be epic if based on the film and designed to fit and enhance the story of Asia

Daveeeeed

Even as a die-hard Disney fan, I have to admit this is the BEST ride I have ever ridden in my life!
I think it is definitely a great Coaster/dark ride, and I know it’s your opinion, but how is it the best? Indy, Radiator Springs Racers, Spiderman, Pirates of The Caribbean, The Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain, Kilimanjaro Safaris, The Tower of Terror, Forbidden Journey all have far superior theming, story, setting for the land, length, and scale, and that is just in the US.

theGib95

There IS a strategy there, Shove in all the latest hot Movie IP and people will line up to pay to 'ride the movies'
We just lost a ride that let you "Ride the Movies"..............

As for DHS...
It looks fun...it looks 1000 times better then the park was. when the dust settles and we all get to walk through the park... that's when we will know. There are many that scream out IP like it's a bad thing.
In the right hands it's a great thing and so far Disney hasn't let me down with Cars land, new fantasyland, Pandora. It doesn't look like they are dropping the ball with Star Wars.
DHS needed help, and I think they will find way to make the transitions between the lands... it is "mismatched IPs" but It really isn't different than mismatched lands at MK, areas at AK, Imagineers are amazing at making things blend, they find ways to make the transitions work, and when DHS is done, I think we will be pleasantly surprised how nice it is to move through the park....

FigmentJedi

I'd almost say Rivers of Light kinda does this too with how these shamans and spirit animals take you on a mystical journey through nature and other then what little you get from the minimal narration, you have to actually interpret what you are seeing to really get a sense of that story structure and the symbolism.

It's not a passive experience where you just watch a bunch of projections of cartoon characters dance on the castle while stuff explodes. And that's probably why some people hate it.

cjkeating

I'd almost say Rivers of Light kinda does this too with how these shamans and spirit animals take you on a mystical journey through nature and other then what little you get from the minimal narration, you have to actually interpret what you are seeing to really get a sense of that story structure and the symbolism.

It's not a passive experience where you just watch a bunch of projections of cartoon characters dance on the castle while stuff explodes. And that's probably why some people hate it.

I haven't seen ROL but this does make so much sense...

I don't understand why so many people give ROL hate for a lack of story when ROE has no obvious story either. Since seeing ROE I've Googled it so I now understand but ROE is exceptionally abstract on initial viewing.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
The profit assumption is terribly wrong though. The Good Dinosaur was the first Pixar film to lose money coming out of theaters. Budget + marketing + theater’s take of sales + taxes made it not even break even. Though I would imagine eventually it will break even.
It was a nothing special film besides the animation, but you have to have a good story as #1 priority for any film if you want it to be successful. Unlike Illumination’s recent flashy films that have terrific marketing but are not incredible, The Good Dinosaur had uninspiring marketing as well that digged it deeper into its grave. Again it wasn’t terrible, but Pixar is known for a high standard product, and IMO the only films that have not delivered that have been TGD & Cars 2. Of course, there are B quality films like Finding Dory l but they are at least on par with Despicable Me 2’s quality.
To me, Moana & Zootopia at Walt Disney Animation is where Pixar went. Personally, I’m also pretty confident that Incredibles 2 will be one of Picar’s best films, and truly the only one that was dying for a sequel. Inside Out proves they still have it, but they should shoot to release 1 film per year at Pixar instead of two. If Coco is bad then they should definitely not do that anymore.

It's obviously just gross-budget and not including other expenses or other forms of revenue from the movie. It provides a shorthand data point for comparison.

Timothy_Q

It turly was awful. Forgettable plot, characters that were not likeable, no music, etc. The only saving grace was the beautiful backgrounds. It was kind of the worst.
The score of the good dinosaur is quite beautiful.

I'm guessing you mean there's no songs.

I don't see how that has any relevancy to the quality of a movie tho.

HMF

The profit assumption is terribly wrong though. The Good Dinosaur was the first Pixar film to lose money coming out of theaters. Budget + marketing + theater’s take of sales + taxes made it not even break even.
The fact that it came out less than a month before The Force Awakens also didn't help.

Fox&Hound

The score of the good dinosaur is quite beautiful.

I'm guessing you mean there's no songs.

I don't see how that has any relevancy to the quality of a movie tho.

Yes, I meant songs, not music. Oh, it does not bother me in the least, but the OP had asked if there were any catchy songs in the movie and thus my response.

Fox&Hound

I think it is definitely a great Coaster/dark ride, and I know it’s your opinion, but how is it the best? Indy, Radiator Springs Racers, Spiderman, Pirates of The Caribbean, The Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain, Kilimanjaro Safaris, The Tower of Terror, Forbidden Journey all have far superior theming, story, setting for the land, length, and scale, and that is just in the US.

Okay, maybe that was a bit hyperbolic on my end, but it certainly ranks near my personal top =) I found found it so thrilling and surprising. When the...

ride stops in front of the control room and you think the ride is over and the mummy bangs/breaks the window and the ride shoots off. What the heck!?!? That was truly epic!

I love Pirates and it will probably always be my number one tried and true and of course the other rides you listed are amazing too (Carsland-yes, please). I just found the Mummy ride to be a huge surprise....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom