everyones opinion on this

GHOST1000

Original Poster
We were at MK last week and was a bit disappointed in this new? practice. During parade times on main street disney would open the 'back route' ,an area from in back of Tony's to the back of the bakery on the corner as a short cut to avoid crowds hogging up main street. Part of me was glad to avoid the crowds to get past main street, but the other part of me felt Walt would be rolling over in his grave if he could see this breakdown of the 'staging area'. Since he was ALL about the cast and presentation of the show. we saw huge tanks full of carbon dioxide for all the sodas and cars parked in the back and much more that ruined the effect of being there. Very undisney like.:(

mousefan1972

We were at MK last week and was a bit disappointed in this new? practice. During parade times on main street disney would open the 'back route' ,an area from in back of Tony's to the back of the bakery on the corner as a short cut to avoid crowds hogging up main street. Part of me was glad to avoid the crowds to get past main street, but the other part of me felt Walt would be rolling over in his grave if he could see this breakdown of the 'staging area'. Since he was ALL about the cast and presentation of the show. we saw huge tanks full of carbon dioxide for all the sodas and cars parked in the back and much more that ruined the effect of being there. Very undisney like.:(

That's not new... it happens frequently during times of heavy crowds.

Frankly, I'd much rather take an un-crowded stroll backstage to exit the park than fight through the throngs of people on Main St. During our summer and Christmas trips we always hope the backstage exit is being used so we don't have to fight the horrific crowds trying to exit.

pumpkin7

i suppose i wouldn't like that too much either. it ruins the whole illusion. but i guess if it's late, and there are huge crowds and you have screaming children who are ready for their beds, i'd be glad of it. i'd just shut my eyes and try not to look at anything lol.

rsoxguy

I have been routed behind Main Street before. In a sense, it was very interesting to see "behind the magic". I wouldn't want to do it again because I do enjoy the look and feel of the front, and I prefer to not consider the back at all. To me, it's akin to seeing the character's "Friends". You know that they exist, but it's more fun to ignore them.

BrerFrog

It is not new, they do it when the park is crowded. I don't like it either, but I guess it just has to be done in order to avoid major traffic problems.

NASAMan

And actually what you see here is very nice compared to most backstage areas.
It is painted, cleaned, and has movable foliage to define the path and conceal some not-as-nice areas.

Yeah, I don't like it either. It ruins the whole illusion, and I personally would rather be stuck in the middle of a crowded MSUSA than seeing the unmagical backsides of facades. I'm sure it's a crowd control issue, but I wish they could solve the issues while keeping guests inside the parks. Also, the people exiting backstage are not passing by/through the shops on MSUSA, so they are losing money.

trr1

if it helps just think of it as a themed alley behind main street where lady and the tramp have spaghetti:animwink:

Rob562

They open those backstage routes in the interest of safety, both of the Guests and the CMs.

In the four points of the Disney way, Safety tops everything, even above Show. (If memory serves properly, it's Safety, Courtesy, Show, Efficiency. Though some have grumbled that in recent years Show and Efficiency have swapped places)

-Rob

valleyfan

We watched the New Years fireworks from back there this past December/January and it was great, awesome view and some cm's played with the kids.

timeman

I don't mind it that much. During the Last Tour For Endor party at Hollywood Studios, I was with Master Yoda & his family and they made us exit the Star Tours ride thru the backstage exit instead of exiting thru the store. The reason they did that was because there was a line to get into the store to pay for your items and the store itself was crowded because of the event.

WDW 3

I was sooo happy when we were routed backstage. Trying to walk down Main Street is awful during parade times. I've only seen it once and personally wish there was a way to avoid the congestion every parade.

MarkTwain

That's why Disneyland Paris has these... richly themed tunnels behind Main Street, or "arcades", which guests can choose to travel down when Main Street itself is too crowded, or during times of inclement weather. Disneyland was recently rumored to be looking into getting its own set of arcades... and IMO, Magic Kingdom could use them far more even than Disneyland.

CamiLyn227

I think I have mixed feelings about this. If it was my last night at WDW for a while I would be sad not to walk all the way down Main Street. It is sorta my last few minutes to take in all the beauty and magic of The Magic Kingdom. On the other hand though, I am VERY interested in seeing "behind the magic". I like to see how things work. It wouldnt ruin anything for me!

Foolish Mortal

Been there, done that, wouldn't mind doing it again. I'd actually love too see more behind the scenes stuff. Doesn't ruin the magic for me.

RonAnnArbor

My thoughts?

ONE: Walt is turning over in his grave.

but

TWO: I love it -- I never stay for the parade or the fireworks, and it is the ONLY way to get from that side of the park to the entrance during that time. yes, it does take away the magic, but at that point, I'm just trying to get out of there.

THREE: They do the same thing on the other side, but it routes you through the stores...you enter to the right of Casey's and it takes you through the stores and out.

They have been doing this now for at least a year -- I know they did it last year during MVMCP, and they were doing it this summer as well. I think it is here to stay.

The Empress Lilly

The MK can't handle its crowds anymore.

As the lesser of two evils, I support the backstage route over no route.

An actual solution however could be to reopen the park to 1 AM again, as it used to do. That would help to actually spread the crowds, rather than having to corral people backstage. :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom