Everyone's Best and Worst Dining Experiences?

NeedMoreMickey

Had one of our worst experience at the Carol Reef restaurant in 2010. The service was bad and not one of us at the table was able to finish the meal. Haven’t been back since.

danyoung56

As someone else said, one person's worst is another's best. I've had many meals at the Coral Reef, and while some of them have been pretty bad (poor service, luke-warm food, etc.), enough of them have been great to keep me coming back.

My favorite restaurant at WDW is by far the California Grill up on top of the Contemporary Resort. Great food and really excellent waitstaff, with a view over the MK and the Seven Seas Lagoon that can't be beat.

Over the years I've only had 2 meals at WDW that were really bad, and both of them were at the Brown Derby. The first one featured a special cut of meat that came out raw in the middle - totally inedible. The 2nd one was just a few weeks ago, and featured a very bad waitress. Nice lady, just bad at her job. Took forever to get anything, and once we got it, it was either just warm or in the case of drinks it was watered down by melting ice. A 1 hour meal took over 2 hours cuz she was so slow!

That said, I've had many fine meals at the Brown Derby, so I consider both cases to be exceptions.

skibum123

Best: Narcoossee's at the GF or California Grill
Worst: Hollywood & Vine. Just vile. A cafeteria which has the look, feel and taste of an old run-down retirement community.

dupac

It's hard to pick a best. It really is... we've had some great meals at WDW, including at Tony's in MK, which doesn't always get the best reviews around here (I think it might have to do with what you order). Two meals that stick out in my mind were at California Grill and Coral Reef.

Worst... 50's Prime Time. Now, this isn't like one of my worst all-time meals ever, but it sticks out to me as a bad experience. While the novelty of the decor was fun, it wasn't enough to make up for the lackluster food. It just felt like an mass produced version of comfort food. Like a Stouffers lasagna, so to speak. The waiter was fine, but didn't interact or anything. I was just really letdown after all the rave reviews.

Jess G

Really? I heard lots of good things about Kona. How did your experience differ? I have had it on my to do list.

Not to disagree with anyone but I had dinner @ Kona a couple months ago and I really enjoyed the experience & food. I did not have high expectations for it but it's a good go if you enjoy sushi, and the mashed potatoes were the best i've had in any restaurant. I will be returning for lunch in about a month and plan to do a review :) Although I have noticed most people who "rave" about Kona is usually for breakfast.

Jess G

And I'll also put in my best and worst opinion...
Best: Sanna loved the atmosphere and prompt service. Food was amazing and my waiter was awesome (this place is not for picky eaters)

Worst: Marrakesh, from the second I got there it was an issue. They could not find my reservation asking when I made it (my response was 180 days ago lol) I had the confirmation number and the reservation up on my phone with the DME app and still they gave an issue. Finally they found it and hubby and I were seated at a tiny table in the corner next to where all the waiters and waitresses are constantly going in and out of for drinks and what not, which I would have dealt with if the place was packed but I was clearly looking at (at least) 10/15 empty tables so I wasn't sure why we were given the worst seat in the house. They moved us after complaining.. Hubby enjoyed the actual food and I wasn't so crazy about it. Definitely not worth it to me to visit again..

Princess_AmyK

Original Poster
It's interesting to see numerous people place Coral Reef as their best because after my experience, I swore I'd never go again. I hated every second that I spent in there. My mom also had a similar experience. I wonder what caused the difference? Maybe I should rethink my decision to never give it another chance?

HouCuseChickie

Best BOG for my ds' birthday dinner. The food was great as well as the service
Worst Hollywood and Vile both times we went it was horrid second time worse than the first. We did the Fantasmic dining and after thinking any place could have an off night gave it a second go NEVER AGAIN

I just love it when you refer to it as Hollywood and Vile :D I must admit that I borrow it whenever it comes up for discussion for any meal there beyond breakfast.

HouCuseChickie

I'm gonna start with worst ... because it's just fun that way :)

WORST
'Ohana breakfast
Tusker House breakfast
CRT dinner
San Angel Inn
Chef Mickey's dinner
Crystal Palace lunch/dinner
Coral Reef

BEST
Flying Fish
Yachtsman
Sanaa
Kona
Hollywood Brown Derby
Crystal Palace breakfast
1900 PF breakfast
CRT breakfast

Honorable Mention for best...
While we found some of the food at Narcoosee's to be average and we've had hit or miss experiences with food at California Grill, I think they are some of the best places to watch Wishes. Plus, the food and drinks at both are good enough most of the time to make them must try spots. So, consider these my BEST views with well above average food.

Not bad, but not AMAZING...
I feel the word amazing has been used way too much of late to describe Disney dining experiences. I realize we all have different food preferences and dining backgrounds + Disney is guilty of offering inconsistent food quality and service at many restaurant. Still, I can't help but look at meals like Boma, WCC, and BOG and not still be a bit disappointed. None were entirely awful, but during our experience, they also were far from AMAZING when it came to the food. So, consider these my worst for hype and letdowns. EDIT- while it's not raved about as much since the signature switch, Le Cellier was another that just left us wondering- is that it?

BONUS- best character interaction requires a trip to the west coast for breakfast at the Plaza Inn.

Last edited:

Texas84

I've only had two bad meals at WDW: ABC (nasty) and H&V (not horrible, just dull).

To the person who dissed Sunshine Seasons: :confused::facepalm::jawdrop::mad:

rob0519

Best: Chef Mickey's Breakfast (obviously for the characters not the food), Ohana Breakfast, Grand Floridian Cafe (Dinner), Liberty Tree Tavern (Dinner) Chef d'France, Cosmic Ray's (BBQ Chicken / Ribs Combo)

Worst: I don't rate on the service. You can get both good and horrible service at the same restaurant just on the luck of the server you get.
Oddly, my new worst used to be one of my best; Crystal Palace (Dinner). In my opinion it used to have the best variety of foods along with quality and great serving stations. On each of the last 3 visits the variety and quality of the foods served has gone down consistently. Additionally, the serving stations have food spilled over the serving dishes with no one cleaning up. It looked no better than a Golden Corral.
While we enjoy the characters, the price for that quality is no longer worth it to us.

Princess_AmyK

Original Poster
Best: Chef Mickey's Breakfast (obviously for the characters not the food), Ohana Breakfast, Grand Floridian Cafe (Dinner), Liberty Tree Tavern (Dinner) Chef d'France, Cosmic Ray's (BBQ Chicken / Ribs Combo)

Worst: I don't rate on the service. You can get both good and horrible service at the same restaurant just on the luck of the server you get.
Oddly, my new worst used to be one of my best; Crystal Palace (Dinner). In my opinion it used to have the best variety of foods along with quality and great serving stations. On each of the last 3 visits the variety and quality of the foods served has gone down consistently. Additionally, the serving stations have food spilled over the serving dishes with no one cleaning up. It looked no better than a Golden Corral.
While we enjoy the characters, the price for that quality is no longer worth it to us.

I agree with your Crystal Palace comments. It had always been a must do for us in the past, but now I feel no need to go there. I would rather cross the lake to Grand Floridian for 1900 Park Fare if I want a character buffet that is convenient for MK. In my upcoming trip Crystal Palace is no where in the plans.

rob0519

I agree with your Crystal Palace comments. It had always been a must do for us in the past, but now I feel no need to go there. I would rather cross the lake to Grand Floridian for 1900 Park Fare if I want a character buffet that is convenient for MK. In my upcoming trip Crystal Palace is no where in the plans.

We did both Crystal Palace and 1900 Park Fare on our last trip and the difference for us was pretty clear. Maybe we'll try Crystal Palace for breakfast and see how that goes. 1900 Park Fare Breakfast was fun too.

Rickster7

Best: Sanaa, loved everything about it.
Worst: Tonys Town Square, where are all the haters for Tonys or did everybody stop going? Did get a bunch of fastpasses for complaining about the terrible service. Waiter acted like it was no big deal that someone was complaining to the manager that he did not know how to do his job. Manager really didn't care either. Trust me I never complain but I could not keep it in. First time I ate there I had a great experience.

Disneyfreak Jen

Chefs de France. They take forever. Our server disappeared and was nearly impossible to find for drink refills, the check, etc. Not only us, but the table next to us too. No reason it needs to take 2 people 2 hours to eat dinner. The food was not very good either.

Goofyque'

Been going over 40 years, never had anything vile or inedible. :) Hard to say what best is, we never miss Y&Y or Kona, love Citrico's and have several in our rotation that are included in many PP's as both Best and Worst! ;) We try something new every trip, and everyone in our party gets to choose a favorite!

ArielLover

MK: Best is Cinderella's Royal Table - overpriced yes - but we got engaged there so it has a soft spot
Worst was Liberty Tree Tavern - service was just aweful - we have eaten there sense as we like the food but service has still never been great.
Best counter Service - Columbia Harbour House

EPCOT: Best is Le Cellier - A filet to die for and the wife loves the maple crème brullee.
Worst is Nine Dragons- food was just OK .
Best Counter Service - What can I say - I love the fish and chips

DHS: We have avoided eating here - nothing appeal sot us

AK: Best is Flame Tree Barbeque. We eat our only meal of the day here

Resorts: Best is OHana. Wife loves it. We also love the Luau

71dsp

Of course each restaurant, server, etc. has good days and bad days. These are based on our experiences over the years. Many of the "bad" experiences caused us not to go back.

Best @ MK: CRT Breakfast - great food, great ambiance, great character interaction, always had good service
Best @ AK: Tusker House Breakfast - same as CRT breakfast
Best @ Epcot: Le Cellier lunch or Via Napoli lunch - tie! always had great food and service
Best @ HS: Mama Melrose lunch - food is pretty good and service has been consistently good

Worst @ MK: Crystal Palace breakfast - food was so-so, character interaction was just ok, crowding was terrible; the tables were very close together, we had to navigate the crowds just to get food
Worst @ AK: Restaurantosaurus lunch - didn't care for the food
Worst @ Epcot: Coral Reef lunch - First time we went was pretty good. Second time, not so much. Second time, food was not very good, and the crowd was really really loud for some reason. Service was so-so.
Worst @ HS: Hollywood and Vine breakfast - We were the first ones there (got a nice "first family of the day" card!), but the food was only so-so and the service was non-existent.

Some of the resorts we've tried:
Best @ Saratoga Springs: Turf Club dinner - food was great, service was awesome, over the top. We got caught in a surprise storm without rain gear, so we were soaking wet. We asked about getting on the list for dinner before we went back to our room (Tree House Villas) to change into dry clothes. They not only invited us to eat right away, they brought a TON of towels for everyone (4 adults, 4 kids) to dry off while we were waiting for food. :)
Best @ Contemporary: California Grill dinner - it's California Grill need I say more? :)
Best @ AKL: Sanaa dinner - I LOVE Sanaa. My wife can take it or leave it. Always had great food, service, and ambiance here!
Best @ GF: Narcoossee's dinner - Always had great food and great service here
Best @ Poly: Ohana breakfast - great food and great characters
Best @ Yacht Club: Yachtsman Steakhouse dinner - always been great
Best @ Swann & Dolphin: Shula's Steakhouse dinner - been once, enjoyed it; we might go back, not sure

Worst @ Contemporary: The Wave breakfast - food was meh and so was the service

Haven't had many bad experiences at resorts to be honest.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom