Everest vs. Universal article

MuRkErY

I dont really mind sponsorship as long as it does not effect the attraction, a little Presented by "Insert Company Name" is fine by me.

Oh and I would definatly put MGM above USF, ToT Alone just blows anything from USF away. They need to get rid of the hat though.

Chape19714

In my opinion, IOA's theaming is NOT anything to brag about. Sure, there are some very neat parts, but still, I would not EVER rate it higher in theaming than the Disney parks. One of the biggest things that bugs me with IOA is how you can clearly see that the buildings are facades in certain areas. Granted, not the main path, but in lines, and other off the main path places.

I completely agree with everything this article had to say...Disney is a science.

TimeTrip

MuRkErY said:
You can actully see it in the main path in some areas.

In LC you can see metal show buildings poking up behind the facade to Poseidons Fury Facade.

Here is a picture to show this.

http://www.ioacentral.com/pictures/the_lost_continent/area/the_lost_continent_area_twenty_one.jpg

Look on the right hand side, poking up above the Poseidons Fury Facade.

Oh come on.. thats extremely nitpicky. you may as well say the world showcase has bad theming because of the soarin building.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
MuRkErY said:
Oh and I would definatly put MGM above USF, ToT Alone just blows anything from USF away. They need to get rid of the hat though.
Oh man, one building! :dazzle: :rolleyes:

You can actully see it in the main path in some areas.

In LC you can see metal show buildings poking up behind the facade to Poseidons Fury Facade.

Here is a picture to show this.

http://www.ioacentral.com/pictures/t...twenty_one.jpg

Look on the right hand side, poking up above the Poseidons Fury Facade.
Yeah, and we DEFINITELY can't see the Soarin' or FL dark ride buildings, and it's impossible to see the warehouse parts of Everest inside the ride.....

peter11435

NemoRocks said:
Oh man, one building! :dazzle: :rolleyes:

and it's impossible to see the warehouse parts of Everest inside the ride.....
The ride is not even officially open yet. This will be taken care of before opening, and besides is barely noticeable.

MuRkErY

At least the Sorin building has been attempted to blend into the environment, where as at IoA it's just a big square metal box left unpainted. In fact, that big metal building poking out is the first thing I noticed when I walked into LC, as Walt Disney said "It's all in the detail".

As for EE, there’s still a good 2 months till the ride opens, not all of the effects are even working yet such as the snow effect. In the tunnel on the backwards section there will be lots of smoke, it's still hard too see the warehouse building atm, but I imagine it will be nearly impossible when the tunnel is filled with fog vapour/smoke what ever they will be using.

peter11435

TimeTrip said:
Oh come on.. thats extremely nitpicky. you may as well say the world showcase has bad theming because of the soarin building.

Yeah, but you have always been able to see the Future World buildings including the untheamed backs of Imagination and HISTA from World Showcase.

MuRkErY

Oh man, one building!

It's hardly one building, the whole of Hollywood Blvd, Sunset Blvd, Chinese Mans Theater, and the Hollywood Hills Ampitheater is better theming than at IoA.

The Left section of the park is well, exactly what it's meant to resemble a working studio.

All though I think they could do with Defining the themes more at MGM.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
peter11435 said:
The ride is not even officially open yet. This will be taken care of before opening, and besides is barely noticeable.
Well, we'll just have to wait and see (barely noticeable is a laughable statement, as the light can clearly be seen in the dark tunnels)....

MuRkErY said:
At least the Sorin building has been attempted to blend into the environment, where as at IoA it's just a big square metal box left unpainted. In fact, that big metal building poking out is the first thing I noticed when I walked into LC, as Walt Disney said "It's all in the detail".
Orlando9-4027.jpg

Attempted to blend in? Yeah, right....the color of the Poseidon building is actually quite similar to the one on the Soarin' building.

MuRkErY said:
It's hardly one building, the whole of Hollywood Blvd, Sunset Blvd, Chinese Mans Theater, and the Hollywood Hills Ampitheater is better theming than at IoA.
What does the theming of IOA have to do with MGM/USF theming?

nfeagle5

Ive been to both and of course i think Disney is superior, but i have to say tat Universal has some superior RIDES ( not ques or story lines) but for example the Spiderman Ride is amazing and i liked hulk and even though its dated..Dueling Dragons was cool too. Now it goes without saying i love Splash, Space and RnRC....but Universal does have some good product.

Shaman

There will always be Universal bashers....just as their will always be Disney bashers...can't we all just be theme park enthusiasts.

peter11435

NemoRocks said:
Well, we'll just have to wait and see (barely noticeable is a laughable statement, as the light can clearly be seen in the dark tunnels)....

Sure the light is clearly seen but only for a few brief seconds. You see nothing but darkness through most of the backwards section. And to be honest unless you have ridden more than once or were actively looking for most people would not even notice.

jackfrost

Do remember there are space restrictions in Universal. You can see a high school from Dueling Dragons, because,well, a high school is there. Not everyone has property the size of a good sized city to build on. This is a problem Universal faces that will make sure they never really directly challenge Disney. Which brings me back to my other point about how financially Universal does not have the backing, and probably never will to do what Disney does. They got a billion dollars to build IOA and I guarantee it will be a long time before Universal Creative sees that much money again. There is just not enough space or money for Universal to directly compete with Disney and that's the bottom line.

Laura

I went to Disney yesterday and Universal today.

The one thing I think is Universal's downfall is it's overall attitude. I sum it up with the word "sleazy". Universal doesn't seem to be a park that goes out of its way to make a guest feel like they are in heaven on Earth. In fact, it seems to want to take advantage of guests and use them and abuse them. For example, as soon as you arrive at the park they badger you by trying to get you to sign up for a credit card. Then as soon as you get in the park they badger you to get photos taken. Then you go in the restaurants and they aren't completely honest about the prices of the food. This afternoon I had fettucini alfredo. On the menu there's this huge picture of fettucini alfredo with chicken with a price next to it. I go up and order that, and they say "you want chicken on it, right?" and I say yes. I get my receipt and they charged me an extra $2 for the chicken, even though it doesn't mention that on the menu. And then from what I could see they don't even advertise how much the kids meals are. It's like they're trying to hide this info to get more money out of you. The entire time I was there I felt like they had their hands in my pockets. And of course everywhere you look they are belittling Disney (ever check out the queue for Shrek?).

With that said, I highly enjoyed Universal. Their rides are incredible!! I just feel like if they'd simply change their overall attitude people would be more drawn to the park.

dxwwf3

Laura22 said:
The one thing I think is Universal's downfall is it's overall attitude. I sum it up with the word "sleazy". Universal doesn't seem to be a park that goes out of its way to make a guest feel like they are in heaven on Earth.

With that said, I highly enjoyed Universal. Their rides are incredible!! I just feel like if they'd simply change their overall attitude people would be more drawn to the park.

I've been trying for years to think of why I really enjoy Universal, but I usually have a bad taste in my mouth at the end of the day. That post pretty much sums it up like I've never been able to think of before. Overall I'd say it has gotten worse recently, but I think you're pretty spot on here. Part of that feeling is walking through City Walk at night going back to the parking lot. That whole atmosphere makes me feel uncomfortable. Granted I am a 21 year old that has NO desire whatsoever to go out drinking or go clubbing and that whole atmosphere just feels sleazy.

Another thing that bothers me is that in the past year or two it seems attention at IOA has gone away from trying to be like a world class theme park and more like a Six Flags with good themeing. The whole park just doesn't have the same magical feel it had back in 99-2002.

Even after saying all of this, I am a fan of most of the attractions and the parks overall. In a few years, I'm sure I'll be ready to go back. I just hope Back to the Future and ET Adventure will still be there (And Earthquake and Jaws will be replaced :lol: )

jackfrost

I have never really felt that Universal is "sleazy". There guest services, while not the same as Disney, isn't bad at all. My family and myself has always been treated very well there. I do not think they are hounding you for money, which is a strange statement coming from this forum considering it's a Disney forum. I know we all love Disney Resorts but come on Disney is just as overpriced and can be very withholding about their prices.

dxwwf3

jackfrost said:
I do not think they are hounding you for money, which is a strange statement coming from this forum considering it's a Disney forums. I know we all love Disney Resorts but come on Disney is just as overpriced and is can be very withholding about their prices.

Yeah I'm with you on that. Disney is just as bad if not worse.

And SOME of the Team Members at Universal are fantastic, but man there are some really bad apples too. Much worse than at Disney, IMO.

And my own personal argument would be the atmosphere and enviornment of the parks/resort. But I agree with you about the money hounding.

nerdboyrockstar

I'm a Disney fan obviously but a lot of your comments are extremely hypocritical. There's a reason a lot of people use Di$ney when writing about it for the same (although a lot more) reason.

I think it's good to be a Universal fan, especially since I think the quality of the parks is great. IOA is getting a new small ride in Seussland and the Studios have recieved a few new attractions over the past few years. I've also been a passholder since 2002 and have renewed it until the end of 2007. The benefits are unbelievable. I'm a Disney passholder as well and...it's not the same at all.

A lot of what you're saying isn't wrong, but it's not like Disney isn't guilty of most of your complaints.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom