Everest vs. Universal article

Dr Albert Falls

Original Poster
From Orlando Sentinel:

Everest could take Disney to new heights

Mike Thomas
COMMENTARY

January 26, 2006

Disney doesn't build rides by slapping some track down and plopping a roller coaster on it.

Disney creates stories that surround its rides. This is the story behind Expedition Everest.

Last year, Disney's local parks had an attendance increase between 5 percent and 6.5 percent.

Meanwhile, Universal suffered a dismal drop in attendance of about 8.5 percent at its two parks.

The reason is that Disney came up with new material. This included its latest concocted promotion -- the 50th anniversary of Disneyland. The "celebration" included new rides, shows and lots of marketing.

Disney goes about this very scientifically. It diagnoses weaknesses in its parks and designs fixes for them.

This takes me to Animal Kingdom.

Architecturally, it is the best of Disney's parks. The details in the "continents" are superb. By this I mean the subtle touches like lush landscaping, faded paint, cracked sidewalks, worn wood and peeling plaster.

The park's problem is that it is too subtle for the theme-park crowd.

There is nothing to generate buzz like the Tower of Terror at the otherwise mediocre Disney-MGM Studios.

And so Animal Kingdom's attendance has lagged behind the other parks'. To fix that, Disney is adding Expedition Everest. It is ingenious.

Consider, for example, that the coaster does not go upside down, as do most new coasters. This means that you can put a 44-inch kid in it, several inches shorter than you can put in an inversion coaster.

Disney calls it a "ride for the entire family." It learned from Mission: Space. That was added at Epcot to fix its weakness: a lack of exciting things to do. Disney overdid it and cranked up the intensity a notch too high. A lot of people stay away from it.

The Imagineers backed off with Expedition Everest.

After riding it three times, I think they may well have hit the right compromise, providing enough thrills for the thrill-seekers without the stomach-churning impact that has forced Disney to put barf bags on Mission: Space. The only people this should terrorize are the head honchos over at Universal Orlando.

When General Electric swallowed the entertainment arm of Vivendi Universal in 2004, GE had little interest in its network of theme parks. Analysts said GE eventually would sell them off. The parks are expensive and not profitable enough.

GE shares ownership of the Orlando parks, Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure, with a private equity firm called the Blackstone Group.

I just don't see this partnership, in which parks are an afterthought to the partners, taking on Disney.

Disney is pumping big bucks into its parks. The parks are a big part of its identity and profits. They support an empire of resorts and restaurants.

Tourism is projected to gradually flatten in the future, and Disney is making sure it corners the market. To that end, it has overhauled the price structure of its tickets, creating better bargains for longer stays.

Disney enters the peak spring months with its blockbuster new ride. Universal has leftover worm smoothies from Fear Factor.

GE best decide soon if it wants to be in the parks business. Getting pummeled by Disney for a second year sure isn't going to boost the price if the plan is to unload Universal Orlando.

Mike Thomas can be reached at 407-420-5525 or mthomas@orlandosentinel.com.

brkgnews

Very nice article. I noticed this morning Universal has launched another round of "Fairy Tales Suck" style ads with kids complaining they're too old for pixie dust. They've also launched some kind of Kids Eat, Stay, and Play Free promo.

If all of these parks (Disney included) would focus on getting people to spend at least one day at their parks, rather than polarizing them with all or nothing, everyone might be better off.

Universal said today that if a adult buys a multiday ticket kids under 9 will get in free i think if i read it right. I think they are just trying to get there market share back and i really dont think they are going to get the little kid crowds back. They are more of a teenager plus park now with IOA.

HMGhost13

for some reason, after reading the "i'm too old for pixie dust" commercia; post there. i kinda so a cheesy ad with a monster truck guy going "sunday sunday sunday!!! visit universal or else!!!"

dxwwf3

Dr Albert Falls said:
Disney calls it a "ride for the entire family." It learned from Mission: Space. That was added at Epcot to fix its weakness: a lack of exciting things to do. Disney overdid it and cranked up the intensity a notch too high. A lot of people stay away from it.

I was under the impression Mission Space was very family friendly and could have used the intensity cranked up another notch or two (Maybe up to 11?) :lookaroun

Michael72688

I think Universal is in the process of trying to change who they go after. The new campaign where kids get in for free if their parents by a two day two park ticket could really work. Not only does a family of four get in the park for two days for just about $200, they also get another 3 days for free so you could actually go 5 consecutive days for the price of two. I hope that all made sense. Now we just need some new rides.

Orlando is Disney

Disney is the draw and Universal is here to scrape an extra dime or two off of the Disney toursists with an extra day or two in town. They may be higher up the food chain than Old Town or the Fun Spot, but they are in that chain just the same.

EE is an excellent example of why.

-Billy

jackfrost

Hard times for Universal

I know this is a Disney forum but I find it hard to believe that anyone would put Universal in the same category as Old Town. Times are tough for the parks right now, mostly because of ownership issues and none of the owners having much if any interest in the theme parks. If Disney had these issues, Everest wouldn't have been built. If you've been to Islands of Adventures you cannot tell me you were not impressed at all. I would find that very hard to believe. Granted there hasn't been anything added to it really, but nonetheless it is an incrediable park. There was tremendous talent that created that park and there is hope for the entire resort. Much is made about Imagineers, but if Universal Creative had the same freedom and financial backing as Disney's team they would churn out results. It may take years but hopefully the Universal theme parks get back on there feet, because whether or not you will admit it, competition is good for Disney.

nerdboyrockstar

jackfrost said:
I know this is a Disney forum but I find it hard to believe that anyone would put Universal in the same category as Old Town. Times are tough for the parks right now, mostly because of ownership issues and none of the owners having much if any interest in the theme parks. If Disney had these issues, Everest wouldn't have been built. If you've been to Islands of Adventures you cannot tell me you were not impressed at all. I would find that very hard to believe. Granted there hasn't been anything added to it really, but nonetheless it is an incrediable park. There was tremendous talent that created that park and there is hope for the entire resort. Much is made about Imagineers, but if Universal Creative had the same freedom and financial backing as Disney's team they would churn out results. It may take years but hopefully the Universal theme parks get back on there feet, because whether or not you will admit it, competition is good for Disney.

Thank you! I thought I was gonna have to start something. Universal is NOT in the same class as Old Town or the Fun Spot. That's a serious insult.

disnyfan89

1)Billybluenose did not say universal is in the same ranks as old town! I belive he said:
They may be higher up the food chain than Old Town or the Fun Spot, but they are in that chain just the same.

What he is saying is "Just like old town and fun spot, Universal is for the tourists who have more time to spend on there vacation and want to do something else."

2) Did anyone else think that the person who wrote this ad was writing with less skill than a teenager. I felt I was reading a childs five paragraph essay.

TheBouff

I know this is a disney forum but i dont understand why most people feel the need to bash universal.

On my last trip in May 2005 to orlando i had a fantastic time at both the disney and universal parks. Both offer unique experiences and provide a great deal of entertainment value.

Anyone one who would dismiss universal because its not disney (or vise versa) is missing out on some seriously great attractions and fun.

My most rode attraction during my 3 week trip was Revenge of the Mummy (6 times) fantastic ride.

Saying that Universal is in the same chain as old town and fun spot is just daft. We are talking a multi million doller theme park franchise against a couple of fair ground attractions and karting.

If you like being entertained, like movies, and love having fun then both disney and universal parks should be on your ajenda when you visit orlando

Carolwood

Great Article! I've had the same thoughts about Universal for years.

The quote I think really sums things up:

"Disney enters the peak spring months with its blockbuster new ride. Universal has leftover worm smoothies from Fear Factor."

I think I'll stick with a Dole Whip... thank you

Legacy

objr said:
If Universal fails, and GE seeks to get rid of it...would Disney buy all or some of the it?

:lookaroun
If Disney was smart they would buy the Studios, Hard Rock Hotel and Portifino Bay. Then wait until the price plummets on IOA (the more expensive of the two parks) and then purchase that. Convert the entire area into a experimental resort.

Shaman

Legacy said:
If Disney was smart they would buy the Studios, Hard Rock Hotel and Portifino Bay. Then wait until the price plummets on IOA (the more expensive of the two parks) and then purchase that. Convert the entire area into a experimental resort.

The only downside would be...that no competition could be bad for WDW. Could be great! But....

GE could try and unload NBC-Universal as a package (not just the parks)...in which case that would make everything a lot more expensive.

Rayray

disnyfan89 said:
2) Did anyone else think that the person who wrote this ad was writing with less skill than a teenager. I felt I was reading a childs five paragraph essay.

Bingo

As for the commercial, they only reveal the poor quality marketing department that is Universal. Some people are just bad at their job. Maybe a funny story or a video showcasing the park would be a good idea; but, no, they must attack the competition (it's not a debate):brick: .

My sister in college is actually majoring in business marketing. She says that the college uses Disney commercials as great examples of advertisement.:cool: Why? Maybe because they increase their business at least 5% per year!!!;)

Nicole

Well I tell you what, comparing the "I've outgrown fairy tales" commercial for US to the "I'm too excited to sleep" commercial for WDW, there is no contest. Why would I want to go to the place that has the bratty kids when I can go to the place with the family who is excited to go on vacation together?

I think one of Universal's problems is that it doesn't appeal to families with really little kids. All those "big, scary" rides exclude a huge portion of Disney guests. Including some grownups! :)

rjwalter

I don't think Universal would ever sell to Disney nor do I think Disney would want to buy it. I think Disney would rather spend the money on improving their already superior parks. I don't believe Disney feels threatened by Universal enough to want to purchase them.

As far as the advertising goes Universal should definately try to promote their rides instead of trying to bash Disney. I think they are better off getting the over spill of business from Disney then trying to go head to head with them.

Persnonally I like Universal and usally go a day or two on most of my visits to Disney. However, its always second fiddle. My point is I still go and I think they could be very profitable from that stand point. Go with the come visit us too and see our great rides instead of pick us we're better attitude.

righttrack

Disney has done nothing but eat into the extra 2 days left in people's vacation time in Orlando. Making more exciting attractions, better food, better resorts, etc. Those 2 days used to go to Universal, and prior to Universal's coming to Orlando, they went to Seaworld. As I talk to people, more and more, I discover that they are not taking those 2 days out of their 7 day vacation any longer.

Universal has to find a way to make Disney "not cool" to teens. That is their target market. Sure there are things for all ages there, but teens is their domain. How does disney react? With EE which has teen appeal, MS, RNRRC, etc. Universal has pushed Disney into more thrills. Disney has pushed Universal into 6-60 attractions. Competition is good.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom