everest vs mummy

dxwwf3

Expedition Everest and it's not even close. EE is better in every single way: queue, story, backwards portion, drops, and animatronics. ROTM is an ok ride, but it's nowhere near being "great". And EE is certainly "great" in my book. ROTM feels like a cheap, small scale attraction compared to the large sets and room of EE. Sure the first scene on ROTM is great, but the treasure room & scarab room & turntable room feel very cheap to me. Not to mention the terrible black light warriors during the short coaster portions. The Yeti projection is as good of an effect as anything seen at ROTM.

Also EE is a MUCH, MUCH, MUCH more thrilling attraction than ROTM, which is quite tame for a Universal thrill ride. I was at first disappointed with ROTM and EE surpassed my expectations.

I must say that I find it shocking that many of you would prefer ROTM over EE. To me, it is like comparing Tower of Terror to Dr. Doom's Fearfall.

jaredliu

dxwwf3 said:
Expedition Everest and it's not even close. EE is better in every single way: queue, story, backwards portion, drops, and animatronics. ROTM is an ok ride, but it's nowhere near being "great". And EE is certainly "great" in my book. ROTM feels like a cheap, small scale attraction compared to the large sets and room of EE. Sure the first scene on ROTM is great, but the treasure room & scarab room & turntable room feel very cheap to me. Not to mention the terrible black light warriors during the short coaster portions. The Yeti projection is as good of an effect as anything seen at ROTM.

Also EE is a MUCH, MUCH, MUCH more thrilling attraction than ROTM, which is quite tame for a Universal thrill ride. I was at first disappointed with ROTM and EE surpassed my expectations.

I must say that I find it shocking that many of you would prefer ROTM over EE. To me, it is like comparing Tower of Terror to Dr. Doom's Fearfall.
You feel like ROTM is cheap and Yeti projection is good? EE is MUCH MUCH MUCH more thrilling than ROTM? What were you riding? Rock and Roller EVEREST?

TimeTrip

dxwwf3 said:
EE is better in every single way: queue, story, backwards portion, drops, and animatronics.

Every single way? IIRC, EE doesn't have a launch up a hill, nor does any hill on EE give you the airtime you get on ROTM over the first drop and after the fake ending. I also think the presentation of the story on EE is pretty weak especially once you're actually on the ride. As for the Mummy animatronic versus the Yeti? I dunno, i think they're about even. I will give EE the nod on the backwards portion however. As for queue, sure the detail is impressive on EE, but I prefer the indoor interactive queue that ROTM has... and no.. ringing a bell does not count as interactive.. that's just annoying.

dxwwf3

jaredliu said:
You feel like ROTM is cheap and Yeti projection is good? EE is MUCH MUCH MUCH more thrilling than ROTM? What were you riding? Rock and Roller EVEREST?

What is really that thrilling about ROTM? Two drop portions and that is it. Sure the drop give a nice whip effect, but it's probably about 30 seconds of actual coaster. The backwards portion of EE is more thrilling than all of ROTM, IMO.

TimonRulz

I'm a Disney fan but I gotta say that I LOVE RoTM! I stay at the Hard Rock Hotel (after a week of Disney) for a few days and I take advantage of the Universal Express and ride RoTM multiple times in a row. I love it and its awesome. I'd have to pick RoTM because its just great.

dxwwf3

TimeTrip said:
Every single way? IIRC, EE doesn't have a launch up a hill, nor does any hill on EE give you the airtime you get on ROTM over the first drop and after the fake ending. I also think the presentation of the story on EE is pretty weak especially once you're actually on the ride. As for the Mummy animatronic versus the Yeti? I dunno, i think they're about even. I will give EE the nod on the backwards portion however. As for queue, sure the detail is impressive on EE, but I prefer the indoor interactive queue that ROTM has... and no.. ringing a bell does not count as interactive.. that's just annoying.

The launch at ROTM is weak. It isn't in the same league as RNRC or Hulk. Sure the drop on EE isn't the most thrilling in the world, but it is better than the ROTM launch by a mile, IMO.

I think the Imhotep AA is pretty darn good and is possibly the best thing about the ride, but I don't think it is as good as the Yeti.

I think that ROTM's queue is really good and is possibly better than the ride, but EE's is one of the best ever. Being interactive or not doesn't really have much of an effect on me.

Rayray

Everest is waaaaaay better. It has better theming, is more thrilling, and has the awesome Yeti. Imotep is pretty good, but the Yeti is so much better. The backwards part on Mummy is just stupid, a pointless inclusion of a glittering technology. Everest's best part is the backwards portion (awesome).

BTW, I've always had trouble with the use of projection screens in RotM. It just doesn't fit. Plus, the entire storyline is slightly confusing

jaredliu

dxwwf3 said:
The launch at ROTM is weak. It isn't in the same league as RNRC or Hulk. Sure the drop on EE isn't the most thrilling in the world, but it is better than the ROTM launch by a mile
I am not trying to pick on you but how many coasters are there have drops? and how many out there to have a launch? I don't see drops is anywhere more interesting than the launch. Besides you are comparing the launch at ROTM to Hulk and RNRC? Than could I say that the drop at EE is a so weak becasue it is not the same league as TOT's drop ? Ok, that's fine, but "yeti projection is as good as any other effect at ROTM"? Well I gotta say the flame on the celling at ROTM blow yeti projection out of the water. And at least ROTM could have their fog/mist effect work which EE couldn't even make it work.

popsicletrees

Rayray said:
BTW, I've always had trouble with the use of projection screens in RotM. It just doesn't fit. Plus, the entire storyline is slightly confusing

I haven't been on EE yet, but I do agree with what you say about RotM. The first time I rode it was during a sneak peek at the ride so the audio wasn't really working and matching with the rest of the ride. The second time I rode it a year after it opened I still didn't get a good feel of the story. It was a good indoor coaster, and I can't wait to ride EE in September!

dxwwf3

jaredliu said:
I am not trying to pick on you but how many coasters are there have drops? and how many out there to have a launch? I don't see drops is anywhere more interesting than the launch. Besides you are comparing the launch at ROTM to Hulk and RNRC? Than could I say that the drop at EE is a so weak becasue it is not the same league as TOT's drop ?

At least EE's drop is thrilling. That was the point I was getting at. ROTM's launch is really nothing to me. The only thing good about the launch is how it leads directly into the drop.

jaredliu said:
Ok, that's fine, but "yeti projection is as good as any other effect at ROTM"? Well I gotta say the flame on the celling at ROTM blow yeti projection out of the water.

The fire is a great effect, but I was really impressed with the way the projection looked. It was more impressive to me, but the fire is really good.

jaredliu said:
And at least ROTM could have their fog/mist effect work which EE couldn't even make it work.

That is not a valid argument at all. EE is dealing with much more advanced technology and the mist was interferring with the track switching. The effect works fine, but they'll have to find a way where it won't mess up the track switching. And even if they don't, it's not a big deal. The fog/mist has no effect on the enjoyment of the ride for most people. And as some on here have said, EE was made to where it can be plussed very easily in the future. I don't see ROTM changing that much over time.

Don't get me wrong, I like ROTM and I think it is a huge improvement over Kongfrontation. I just don't think it is in the same league as EE.

TimeTrip

dxwwf3 said:
At least EE's drop is thrilling. That was the point I was getting at. ROTM's launch is really nothing to me. The only thing good about the launch is how it leads directly into the drop.

I'm curious.. what makes EE's drop thrilling to you much moreso than Mummy? IMO i'd rather take the Mummy launch than the not-really-steep-curving drop out of the mountain. You're in the dark, Imhotep is yelling at you and you see a video of him and he's blowing smoke, you get shot up, through the mouth and get really good air-time over the top. To me, EE's drop was pretty boring. You roll outside then drop to the left. Meh.

dxwwf3

TimeTrip said:
I'm curious.. what makes EE's drop thrilling to you much moreso than Mummy?

The launch is SO SLOW. The air time returning back into the mountain after the drop at EE isn't that much less than ROTM anyways.

PhilosophyMagic

Riding Expedition Everest, I did notice that the first stop causes people to look backwards, and that the (really cool) track switching is clearly visible. It doesn't really seem to effect the ride, and I doubt that most people notice it, but it makes me curious: did anyone ride when the "mist" was in place, and what did it look like?

JC03

I (like others who have posted) am a big Disney fan, but I think the Mummy ride is much better than EE. EE was fun, but I got off thinking, "that was ok." After the Mummy, I said, "we've got to ride that again." I think people who say EE is better probably just have a bias towards Disney rides over Universal rides.

dxwwf3

Rockin Roller said:
Does anyone else feel like on EE that you go upside down in the dark? Just wondering cause I just got back from riding it a while ago!!!!!:D

That first section of the backwards portion DOES almost feel that way. It's an unbelievebale sensation from the front, middle, and back of the train.

MagliteL13

I've ridden EE with and with out the mist effect and have to say it's much better with. It definetly makes the top feel a little more mysterious.

As for the comparison to Mummy--I have to say I'm kinda biased. I feel that Mummy's story is more in depth than EE. RoTM also has far superior AA. As for plussing RoTM in the future; there are tons of things that can be done. Right now, I'd just like to see all the effects that are never there, working. With a ride like RoTM, it's never going to work at 100%. Because of that, other effects are in place as well as B-Show sequences. Everest, on the other hand, doesn't have as many effects. Coaster wise, EE has +Gs RoTM has -Gs. They're very different.

CHAPPS

Account Suspended
JC03 said:
I think people who say EE is better probably just have a bias towards Disney rides over Universal rides.

I agree with you 100%. I honestly don't see how anyone with an unbiased view would rank EE above the Mummy. The Mummy wins, hands down, in every category. It has a considerably better storyline, far superior effects (come to think of it, what "effects" does EE even have really?), and it's much more thrilling.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom