Everest Question

Lee

Adventurer
From everything I know about Everest, the trains will not turn around. This is not an omnimover/coaster, just a coaster, with conventional trains. The track is the key.

Expect for your train to hit a dead end, then start to roll backwards onto a switch track. After traveling backwards for a while, you move back onto the main track to complete the ride.
This doesn't require new technology, it's used on almost every coaster.

Simple as that.

Snapper Bean

Originally posted by Lee
From everything I know about Everest, the trains will not turn around. This is not an omnimover/coaster, just a coaster, with conventional trains. The track is the key.

Expect for your train to hit a dead end, then start to roll backwards onto a switch track. After traveling backwards for a while, you move back onto the main track to complete the ride.
This doesn't require new technology, it's used on almost every coaster.

Simple as that.

That seems somewhat risky to me given that there will be multiple trains on the track at the same time. Is there another coaster ride that employs a switchback during the ride (not just loading and unloading additional trains)?

DisneyFan 2000

Originally posted by Snapper Bean
Is there another coaster ride that employs a switchback during the ride (not just loading and unloading additional trains)?

It's not a coaster but I think maelstrom does exactly this thing...

ogryn

Originally posted by Snapper Bean
That seems somewhat risky to me given that there will be multiple trains on the track at the same time. Is there another coaster ride that employs a switchback during the ride (not just loading and unloading additional trains)?

Correct me if I am wrong but pipeline coasters use a switchback (they have to), except it is a vertical one, whereas EE's will be horizontal.

For a bit about Pipelines see: http://www.coasterglobe.com/features/history-pipeline/index.cfm

So, as long as there are brakes next to the switchback, there is no chance (well maybe a extremely small chance) that a train will go back into another one

ToTBellHop

Many many many many coasters use switchbacks, like Big Thunder Mountain and every train track around the world uses them--this will simply be a new use of that technology. We already know the track ends at the top of the mountain, as per press releases from Disney, so we know you will switch tracks here--I would expect this effect to break down about as often as the switchbacks allowing for use of two trains on Big Thunder Mountain break down...

JRead

Originally posted by ISTCNavigator57
We already know the track ends at the top of the mountain, as per press releases from Disney, so we know you will switch tracks here

where are these press releases? I dont remember ever seeing that in a press release. is there a copy of it somewhere?

ToTBellHop

Originally posted by JRead
where are these press releases? I dont remember ever seeing that in a press release. is there a copy of it somewhere?
Yes...on this site http://www.wdwmagic.com/beastly.htm

But suddenly the track ends in a gnarled mass of twisted metal and the thrills intensify as the train races both forward and backward through mountain caverns and icy canyons and guests head for an inevitable face-to-muzzle showdown with the mysterious yeti -- known to some as the abominable snowman.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom