Ever wonder...

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
...what happens when a monorail breaks down?

We found out on our way "home" to the Contemporary when we left the MK after MVMCP on Tuesday, Dec. 4th!

We were waiting for the resort monorail at the MK platform when the monorail on the MK Express line had to disembark it's new passengers and send them all over to the empty monorail on the resort line. They made an announcement about a technical difficulty with the express monorail. After it was emptied the technical difficulty one (Monorail Green) left the station headed in the direction of the Grand Floridian. The one on the resort line left headed in the direction of the Contemporary & TTC. A few minutes past and we overheard the CMs saying that Monorail Green was now stopped and dead on the rail between the Grand Floridian and Polynesian hotels. Cool! We hopped the next monorail on the resort line which took a few minutes. In the meantime, we paid attention to what was being said about Monorail Green. When we disembarked the resort monorail at the Contemporary a big, loud machine with an open-cockpit that had 2 mechanic-like CM's riding it was slowly passing on the express line right thru the hotel. I said really loud, "What the heck is THAT?!" One of the CM's heard me and yelled back, "It's a tractor!" We put 2 and 2 together right away. The tractor was going to get Monorail Green and tow it back to the maintenance shed. We rushed up to our room to get out on the balcony. We watched the flashing lights of the tractor progress along the line all the way to where Monorail Green was located between Poly and GF. We watched it slowly start to move back the way it came, towards the TTC. We got our cameras ready. No way I was missing this. We looked so silly running out into the corridor overlooking the concourse in our socks. DH video'd the entire way thru the Contemporary. I got some great pics of the tractor towing it. So here they are for everyone else to see who may have never seen this before...

monorailtow.jpg

monorailtow2.jpg

I wonder if the passengers who had just disembarked this monorail knew how lucky they were. It would have really been a pain to be stuck inside long enough to be towed back to a platform when it's so late at night, you're exhausted, and you have tired, cranky little ones. LOL!

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
I forgot to mention that Monorail Green was back on the line within a day or 2. Of course we didn't want to get on it....LOL! Aaaand, guess what color the toy monorails sold in the shops are??? Green!!!! We joked that children could buy 'Technical Difficulty Monorail' and pretend to tow it to the toy maintenance shed for repair. :lol:

Pocamahontas

I know someone that got stuck on a monorail for 2 hours once. She said it was neat because everyone was really nice in her car and making a bunch of jokes. I think it'd be fun, but at the same time....I have to admit, I'd be a little freaked out. (A little meaning extremely...of course:eek:)

hadlicksr

Something similar happened when we were there in November. DS, DD, and FIL were riding with the pilot as we approached TTC. We stopped on the line just before we got there. I assumed at the time we were waiting for traffic. Only about a 5 minute wait. Later FIL told us that the monorail just shut down while in motion and the pilot had to radio control to get it to restart. He asked pilot while they were waiting what would happen if it broke down between stops and was told about that very procedure, but we couldn't really picture that very well. thanks for the pics!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom