Ever Play CM?

DisneyPinDad

Since my son and I are pin collectors (note the name up there :) ) and I tend to wear a photo vest covered with pins a lot, we often get mistaken for CM pin traders. It's cool because it gives an opening to talk to someone about the hobby.

The down side is that you sometimes have to explain to a kid that, no, since I am not a CM I don't "Have To Trade" with you. Although I have made what some might consider a "bad" trade and given a kid a cool pin for a common pin. Keeps the fun going - and that's what it's really all about!!

:xmas: Merry Christmas to All and to All A Good Night :xmas:

DisneyPinDad

2000 - Dixie Landings - Gone but NOT forgotten :confused:
2001 - Off Property - Never again!! :hammer:
2002 - Wilderness Lodge in December - Now THIS is home!!! :D
2004 - Caribbean Beach - Very nice, but June is too hot! :cry:
2005 - Wilderness Lodge - GOING HOME AGAIN!!! :xmas: :xmas:

tigger248

Indy95 said:
Seems like the only way that I help out like a CM would be directing people to places that they are fiddling over the park map for. "Mission: Space is right over there, sir!" (Remember to use two fingers!)

That's practically the only way I know how to point! :lol: It's almost painful to point with one finger. I've been using the 2 finger point for years though, long before I worked for Disney (Six Flags also asks employees to use the 2 finger point). I did it at Target the other day while directing a guest to the restroom and one of my friends started laughing at me. What fun.

I have given advice on attractions, advice on viewing locations for parades and fireworks, park hours, dirctions, etc. I like to think I'm a friendly person and I tend to strike up conversations with other guests. That usually leads to the questions about opinions and such. Plus, whenever I go with my aunt (which is yearly) she finds it necessary to tell everyone that I used to be a cm. That always leads to the questions too. On our last trip, she told our Jungle Cruise skipper I used to be a cm and he even started talking to me about it.

I once was waiting for ToT. We were on our number spaces, next in line and there was this guy with a very frightened child. He didn't understand the way loading goes. I explained that way load goes (he thought that he would be sitting next to who he was standing next to and wanted his kid to switch me places). The youngster was still obviously frightened, so the guy asked me if I'd been on the ride before. I said yes. He then asked if it was scary. I honestly told him that it can be and to expect pitch darkness and sudden drops, as well as an unpredictable drop sequence. He responded by asking if there was guns and knives involved. :brick: After all that's the only thing that can ever be scary, right? :rolleyes: I was shocked, but told him no. I also informed him of child swap (just in case there was someone else, now I don't remember) since the kid obviously did not want to go. I felt so bad for his kid because he made her ride. She was petrified. At the end of the ride, she was crying so hard that she couldn't even walk, making her dad carry her off the ride (and she wasn't real small, like 6 or 7). Unfortunately, this guy just wanted to ride the ride at all costs. He didn't pay attention to signs, his daughter, or (what I'd consider) fairly accurate descriptions of the ride.

I've also had some good experiences with the advice thing though.

I don't really think about it as playing cm either, though. I just think of it as helping other people.

Legacy

It's happened at Disney a couple of times, but it's much more common at Universal.

(Primarily because I'm allowed to roam backstage.)

Chase24

I always see it as just helpful, but it also happens to me anywhere I go. Walmart, Best Buy, Grocery stores and I Almost sold a Washer in Sears before a Salesman finally decided to help out :lookaroun. Must me my something with my apperance that makes me look like I should be helping out :rolleyes:.

BRER STITCH

YEP!

I have that certain "look" that makes people come over and ask me stuff! :lol:

It happens all the time. :lookaroun

Having been to WDW and DL way too many times, it is the least I can do to fill in with some info or directions when asked! I think of it as rescuing a "real" CM from having to deal with yet another of the same old questions again!

:wave:

Pippa

barnum42 said:
Photo evidence of that one please :D But only after you get 'round to posting the Hot Box shot (and you thought I'd forgotten) :lol:

I know, I know, problem is Glen works with computers and the last thing he wants to do in the evening is fiddle around even more with them, but I will gladly put them in my album asap!

(Sorry for thread drift)

barnum42

Pippa said:
I know, I know, problem is Glen works with computers and the last thing he wants to do in the evening is fiddle around even more with them, but I will gladly put them in my album asap!

(Sorry for thread drift)
Don't fret - I'm only yanking your chain ;)

But I will offer my services in the "fiddling" department :lookaroun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom