Ever lost or found anything valuable?

dsmith51

Original Poster
I'm starting this thread because even today, several years after the event, I still feel guilty about it.

I was waiting at the bus stop to go from Magic Kingdom to the Pop Century, and when the bus came, the doors opened and I discovered I was the only one on the bus. I took my seat and casually looked over on the seat opposite from mine, and there was a small video camera sitting on the seat. I picked it up and asked the bus driver if anyone claimed that they lost their video camera and he said no, so I held on to it. When I got back to the Pop Century, I immediately took the camera to the Customer Service counter and I told the CM that I found it on the bus and asked her to take it and hold on to it in case someone came to the counter and claimed they'd lost it.

To my surprise, she said that they receive so many lost articles and it would be almost impossible to have it returned to the original owner, that she suggested I keep it. I was kind of taken aback at her suggestion, but I did what she asked only because I didn't know what else to do.

To this day, I simply cannot use that camera without a mound of guilt on my conscience, so I put it in my safe at home and have not used it since. Even when I look at it in the safe, I cringe. I think that it must have been someone's valued camera that they wanted to use on their vacation and now they're missing it and had to perhaps buy another one to use giving them an unexpected expense.

So I did try to return it, and I feel like I did the right 'good Samaritan' thing by wanting to give it back to the owner and I feel so bad after this, that in the few years that have already gone by, I still feel guilty that I have it.

If the person who lost it is reading this, let me know and I'll send it to you! Haha!

Weather_Lady

I'm starting this thread because even today, several years after the event, I still feel guilty about it.

I was waiting at the bus stop to go from Magic Kingdom to the Pop Century, and when the bus came, the doors opened and I discovered I was the only one on the bus. I took my seat and casually looked over on the seat opposite from mine, and there was a small video camera sitting on the seat. I picked it up and asked the bus driver if anyone claimed that they lost their video camera and he said no, so I held on to it. When I got back to the Pop Century, I immediately took the camera to the Customer Service counter and I told the CM that I found it on the bus and asked her to take it and hold on to it in case someone came to the counter and claimed they'd lost it.

Are there any videos on the camera that might give you a clue as to the owners? There are many sleuths online who would probably love to try and help you figure it out.

If there isn't any way to trace its origin, then I think it's high time to let go of your guilt. You tried to see that it got returned and were told to keep it. By now, it's probably an obsolete bit of equipment with little-to-no monetary value, anyway.

NelleBelle

I lost a pair of prescription Ray Ban sunglasses at DL--never found them! Super annoyed that whoever found them kept them as they were quite expensive. Oh well, just now replaced them. Also lost my Kindle on the airline on our way to our Disney cruise--cannot sleep without reading and that was a miserable trip not being able to read before bed! Of course, airline never found that either despite it being in the seafront pocket! 😡

Lirael

I usually remove earring and necklaces when I go on harder roller coasters since I once lost a necklace pendant I was really attached to at the Hulk...

... But then I managed to again lose a necklace pendant riding Primeval Whirl.

The most 'valuable' things I've found were a pressed coin and a McDonald kids' toy

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
On our last vacation, we lost one phone, one shoe, and two magic bands... we had a 100% recovery rate, but NEVER because of lost and found. In all cases, we simply retraced our steps. Magic bands were found with the welcome CMs at ride queues where we had lost the MBs in line, shoes were found sitting on top of trashcans near where they were lost, and cell phones were found on the same bench where we were sitting. The first thing people do when they lose something is retrace their steps. My personal belief is that if you can keep something you found as close to the place that it was found, the more likely it is to be found by the original owner.

DimpledDevil18

I think we may have lost a camera once and we got it back the next day because it was turned into lost and found.

Only thing I found was a Jasmine pin that I must have stepped on and it got stuck into the bottom of my shoe. I wound up keeping it, but only because I have no idea where I picked kit up and it was something that valued like $7. If it were something expensive I would have turned it in. Besides it makes an interesting pin to add to my collection.

dgauthier

Cajun Transplant
Last year my family and I were in DS at Goofy's candy shop. Left and was on the other side of the Lego store when I get a call. Someone found my wallet under the table we were at. They waited until I got bock over to them and returned it to me. I bought the whole family slush's to thank them.

Nottamus

We ate Dinner at Rose & Crown and it wasn't until a few hours later, my wife (who had $100 in her back pocket for some reason) noticed the $100 was gone.

I made a bee line back...went to check in and asked if anyone found $100 cash......and as i was saying the words, i realized how the words sounded. No one would report finding cash. Well...maybe no one.

I knew it was gone. So...there's that.

JoeCamel

We ate Dinner at Rose & Crown and it wasn't until a few hours later, my wife (who had $100 in her back pocket for some reason) noticed the $100 was gone.

I made a bee line back...went to check in and asked if anyone found $100 cash......and as i was saying the words, i realized how the words sounded. No one would report finding cash. Well...maybe no one.

I knew it was gone. So...there's that.
Thanks for the drinks! Had a great time.....

ndsu84

Ten years ago I lost my wallet at the Downtown Disney parking lot.

I called Disney lost and found with no luck.

The day we got home, Disney lost and found called and said someone had turned in my wallet and they would mail it to me.

I received it in the mail with my ID, credit cards but no cash. There was a check included from Disney for the $500+ that they found in the billfold.

Gillyanne

Left my Christmas light ears on BTMR on a MVMCP night (I remember going on FP+ so it was before party) Took about a half hour until I realized it, but I circled back to the ride a few times and put the request in online. They were the older style so I couldn't just pick up a new pair and I really liked those vs. the clear ones they had more recently. Never got word of them while I was still at the parks. Monday when I got home I got a call, I usually don't answer numbers I don't know but the 407 area code gave it away so I answered and it was L&F. They thought they had located my item and wanted to try to get some more details (did I cut the tag off? what about the velcro part of it) and we determined it sounded like they were mine and they'd ship them out. I was so excited!

Turns out they weren't my exact ears (ends up the velcro part of it was still on it so that was a tell) but they were at least the same style so 🤷‍♀️. Still unsure if there were just a few of the style in the batch and that's just the ones I ended up with (and maybe someone else got mine?) or if someone else just got them out the basket and kept them... Either way I took the velcro off, put some alcohol on it, and a lil glue on a bit that dried out, and to me am GTG.

Also lost my eyeglasses out of my pocket when at DL about 4 years ago. I was walking from parking to where the half marathon area was wearing sunglasses, and the regular ones must've fallen out somewhere. That was when L&F was still at the window so I reported it and ended up getting them back later that day or the next, no scratches and can still wear them now :)

::edited to add DL comment::

ppete1975

To my surprise, she said that they receive so many lost articles and it would be almost impossible to have it returned to the original owner, that she suggested I keep it. I was kind of taken aback at her suggestion, but I did what she asked only because I didn't know what else to do.

To this day, I simply cannot use that camera without a mound of guilt on my conscience, so I put it in my safe at home and have not used it since. Even when I look at it in the safe, I cringe. I think that it must have been someone's valued camera that they wanted to use on their vacation and now they're missing it and had to perhaps buy another one to use giving them an unexpected expense.

So I did try to return it, and I feel like I did the right 'good Samaritan' thing by wanting to give it back to the owner and I feel so bad after this, that in the few years that have already gone by, I still feel guilty that I have it.

If the person who lost it is reading this, let me know and I'll send it to you! Haha!
You should have left it with the bus driver best chance of it getting back to its owner. Once it got to pop i doubt it would ever get to the owner so cast member was prob right. Its obsolete now and owner has replaced it. Either use it or donate it. Living in a safe is just using up space in your safe.

BASS

If this counts, I found a woman's bracelet at a gas station exiting Disney World. My wife got it appraised and it was valued at $2000+ but they'd only give us $600 or so for it. My wife ended up having the jeweler modify it for her. She still owns it to this day.

jinx8402

I wouldn't say valuable, but this past November we found a magic band on the floor of our ToT ride vehicle. We gave it to a CM. About 5-10 mins after our ride as we we walking back down Hollywood Blvd, we saw a mom frantically looking for something. I asked if she was missing a magic band, and if they were on ToT. She said yes and said it was pink one. Just so random to bump into the people whose band we found, and they were so thankful that we found it and told them where it was found. Hopefully they were able to get it back.

Giss Neric

I once found a wedding ring at the Tangled toilets in MK. It never once entered my mind to keep it but I did keep it for the rest of the day cause I had so many stuff that needed to be taken care of. I looked at the it at the hotel room and it looked very expensive like almost 2 carats. Called lost and found to report it. They have already been notified about someone losing her wedding ring. We decided to meet up at the hotel and gave it back to her. In return, she gave me a $1,000 target gift card and I wholeheartedly accepted it LOL!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom