Ever had this happen before? A turnstile saga...

jaklgreen

I have never seen that happen. But I have heard them say to all in line that it is an AP line only. I have also seen them turn people away that were not AP holders. Maybe I look like I know what I am doing so they never question me. I think the cast member could have asked if you were AP and left it at that.

BrerJon

And my "attitude" towards her was due to her saying, "you have to be an annual passholder to use this line". She didn't start by asking, she assumed.

So many Cast Members are terrible like that. One of my pet hates is the ones who assume all guests are the same and lack any judgment of individuals.

It reminds me of the ones who do crowd control at MK who force people towards the side exit after the fireworks because they assume everyone wants to leave the park. There's no thought that perhaps not everyone is a clueless guest doing the same thing as everyone else, and it's such a pain if you're trying to get to Adventureland and they're forcing you through Tomorrowland, or even worse not letting you through and forcing you out of the park, which they've tried to do to me before.

flynnibus

Premium Member
True but Disney spent a lot on this whole system. And really it should be embarrassing to them that they can't switch over profiles on a terminal in a minimal amount of time. But unfortunately they can't get their website to work right, or the App so asking them to do this, you might as well ask them start beaming people from place to place. Lol

Or simply... sometimes walls makes things worse. Disney already has staff there to enforce the policies they want... and that gives them variability to do a lot more things.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
True but Disney spent a lot on this whole system. And really it should be embarrassing to them that they can't switch over profiles on a terminal in a minimal amount of time. But unfortunately they can't get their website to work right, or the App so asking them to do this, you might as well ask them start beaming people from place to place. Lol
That would definitely be an upcharge.

mouse_luv

iu

Chi84

Premium Member
you assume that's what you'd want... and more likely its NOT what they want, as there are probably lots of scenarios where they want the person to get through without requiring overrides. There may be operational needs as well in terms of controlling what the gate is used for in dynamic situations.

No one was getting lip about not knowing the line was open... the only beef in this whole drama thread is a CM asked to verify someone being an AP to use the AP line and someone gave the CM crap because they thought they knew better.
I'm sure Disney could set the turnstiles to reject non-AP holders, but that's not their intent, at least from what I've been told. AP holders, just like many others, travel with friends and family, and those people may not have annual passes. It would be of no benefit to me if I could get in quickly, only to stand on the other side of the turnstiles waiting for the rest of my group to go through a longer line. From their response to my email, I understand that Disney wants to provide an actual benefit to AP holders by allowing them to use the AP lines along with members of their family. Unless, of course, business needs require otherwise - then CMs have discretion to limit the AP lines to pass holders only. I'm sure there are people who disagree and think the lines should be eliminated or limited to AP holders at all times, but it's Disney's business and their perk, so they get to decide.

If it gets to be a problem, Disney will likely eliminate the AP lines. But Disney's definition of a problem is not necessarily what its guests consider a problem. I'm sure they are willing to tolerate a certain amount of deviance from the rules. There are always people who unintentionally get in the line because they aren't paying attention, just don't see the sign, etc. There are also those who don't care - those are the people making pre-park opening reservations at BOG only to check in, bypass the ordering line and go straight to the rides, or the folks making peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for the family out of the condiments at the food court. The fact is that the vast majority of people see a sign and actually obey it, or make a restaurant reservation because they actually want to eat there. Until the people who are doing otherwise exceed Disney's tolerance level, nothing is done about it.

Bpmorley

The only time I was ever asked to show my AP card was at MVMCP and wanted to buy a passholder-only item. I didn't have it on me. But I asked the guy to just scan my magicband it's on their. He said it doesn't work that way. I argued that it must, because the guy giving out the bands at the front of the park knew I was an AP holder when he scanned it. I got louder til a manager came. They held their ground and refused to sell me the shirt. Actually even said they were getting ready for security to come. I told them they should call for an ambulance too. I waited and nothing. Laugh is on them. I wrote disney when I got home, explained what happened and they sent me the shirt for free.

Jedi Stitch

I might just make this board blow up, but I went threw the AP line with out an AP. It was Epcot, and I was not paying attention just got into the short line. The CM did let me know that the line was for the AP holders after the fact. Paid attention after that time.

Damon7777

I told them they should call for an ambulance too

Staff let your comment go unchecked?
This is hard to believe. Others saying something like that might have had their AP status revoked.......assumes of course they know your name.

Actually I would bet Disney staff could have identified your name quite easily if they wanted find out.

Chi84

Premium Member
The only time I was ever asked to show my AP card was at MVMCP and wanted to buy a passholder-only item. I didn't have it on me. But I asked the guy to just scan my magicband it's on their. He said it doesn't work that way. I argued that it must, because the guy giving out the bands at the front of the park knew I was an AP holder when he scanned it. I got louder til a manager came. They held their ground and refused to sell me the shirt. Actually even said they were getting ready for security to come. I told them they should call for an ambulance too. I waited and nothing. Laugh is on them. I wrote disney when I got home, explained what happened and they sent me the shirt for free.
This is why we can't have nice things :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Chi84

Premium Member
I might just make this board blow up, but I went threw the AP line with out an AP. It was Epcot, and I was not paying attention just got into the short line. The CM did let me know that the line was for the AP holders after the fact. Paid attention after that time.
This happens a lot. I don't think it bothers Disney too much. The CM did the right thing by letting you know, and you did the right thing by paying attention afterwards.

eliza61nyc

lol, some poor CM who has been instructed to ask for the actual card 😣😣. One of the reasons I got out of dealing with the general public.
So I tend to give worker bees the benefit of the doubt, and it takes me exactly 2 secs to show my AP card. I get asked to show id when I'm buying a drink when I'm clearly sliding into 60+ville. I simply smile and show the requested document.

So in answer to your question, yes it has happened to me and no it's not an issue. no I do not get snarky when people say silly stuff. I personally don't sweat the small stuff.

Last edited:

Alohaholi

I can see both sides of the argument here. I also have many times been stuck behind a non AP guest in the AP line and it is irritating, but in turn it kind of defeats the ease of using the magic band if I have to get my AP card out of my wallet. Better signage would help but only if people read it.
If I need to dig out that card, the line will Grow. Hence the purpose of the magic band, convenience, is defeated.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom