Ever had a awkward encounter at Disney?

Fox&Hound

I am a teacher and I told my students I would be away for a family reunion. Kinda true- I was reuniting with family I do not see often- in Disney World =) Well I am in Epcot, in Mousegears, and from across the massive store I hear "Mr. _________?" (name omitted). I was shocked cause it was a student I was teaching that year. The mom had emailed me saying they would be out for a few days (I thought nothing of it) and the mom sees me and is mortified and tries to explain how she NEVER takes her child out of school and this was a one time thing and on and on. And I'm like "Who am I to judge? I am here too" =) Then I made the kid promise that he never saw me. Of course by the time I got back to work my cover was completely blown. Hahaha.....

cw1982

I am a teacher and I told my students I would be away for a family reunion. Kinda true- I was reuniting with family I do not see often- in Disney World =) Well I am in Epcot, in Mousegears, and from across the massive store I hear "Mr. _________?" (name omitted). I was shocked cause it was a student I was teaching that year. The mom had emailed me saying they would be out for a few days (I thought nothing of it) and the mom sees me and is mortified and tries to explain how she NEVER takes her child out of school and this was a one time thing and on and on. And I'm like "Who am I to judge? I am here too" =) Then I made the kid promise that he never saw me. Of course by the time I got back to work my cover was completely blown. Hahaha.....

I mean...the family reunion was at Disney. Why should that be an issue?

It's always hard when we run into our students while on vacation though!

AlishaMisha

When I was a teenager I was at the Garden Grill with my parents. Pluto pinned me up against that center wall with both arms on either side of me and my head completely inside his mouth...which is where his "friend's" face is. He kept going at it and was gesturing for my parents to take a pic, but I think that might of bee him buying more time to do what he was doing. My parents thought it was weird, I thought it was weird, and I do have a pic somewhere, but I hate looking at it.

Another time when I was a teen, Heelys were popular. I attended one of those pin trading sessions in the villains room of World of Disney. Us pin traders were gathered around the table waiting for the CM and one of the men who was there alone started talking about Heelys and how he hopes to see a kid fall and hurt themselves. But then he kept going further and said he means like to a serious level where they have to go to the hospital. We just stayed there in an awkward silence until the CM came.

I had a bf with me. No indication we were even dating, just normal people in the queue. A CM at the TTA took us out of line and (not in a friendly manner and not quietly) was informing us there were night vision cameras on the ride.

Another bf another time: We were walking in the Oasis holding hands. Did a quick peck while walking on our way into the park. A CM behind us made a short angry scene.

Raineman

Sitting in the food court at Art of Animation. My wife has gone up to get food.

My then 2-year-old son has an issue with the muscles in his eyes and his eyelids. It is noticeable sometimes, particularly with his eyelids making him look sleepy all the time.

A man comes up and asks what's wrong with his eyes. I give a brief explanation, and he immediately puts his hands on either side of my son's head.

I don't believe I have ever come out of a chair faster. Fortunately, he saw my reaction and let go. I told him "you do NOT put your hands on my children." He told me that it was okay, that he was a faith healer and was going to "fix" his eyes.

After a couple more seconds of back and forth, he finally gave up and walked away. But for a second, I thought I was going to have to yell for a cast member to help.
He should keeps his hands off of other people’s kids-that would anger me, as a parent. He should be looking for Iger or Chapek walking around the parks and work his “healing hands” on their heads. ;)

SirWillow

There are a lot of us teachers that don't blame a family a bit for taking a kid out of school to go to WDW/ Disneyland on vacation. We did it with our kids when we lived in California, and the teachers always totally understood (and gave our kids some special "homework" to make up for it). Oh, I should add my wife and I were both teachers at the time as well and totally got it when we had our students do the same thing.

But then that may be because we've been lucky in that most of our kids teachers were like us- they "get" Disney. :)

Fox&Hound

There are a lot of us teachers that don't blame a family a bit for taking a kid out of school to go to WDW/ Disneyland on vacation. We did it with our kids when we lived in California, and the teachers always totally understood (and gave our kids some special "homework" to make up for it). Oh, I should add my wife and I were both teachers at the time as well and totally got it when we had our students do the same thing.

But then that may be because we've been lucky in that most of our kids teachers were like us- they "get" Disney. :)

Oh yeah- I never give my kids grief over taking a vacation. You only live once- might as well go to Disney World when you can =)

NickPytlinski

I know exactly how you feel. My story was when I was in my 30's with a friend, our 12 y/o daughters. It was a best friends trip:)
We ended up visiting in an expensive area, and we were very hungry. We saw a sign for a restaurant. Nothing stood out as being a high end place. So, we went in and encountered marble everywhere, waiters in tuxedoes, crystal. We stopped at the entry and decided it was not for us and tried to turn and run:) Two waiters came over quickly and ushered us to a nice table. We felt trapped. When we looked at the menu, we knew that we could not afford much at all. So, I ordered shrimp scampi (I called it shrimp skimpy,) as there were only 3 small shrimp in butter. No veggies, potatoes, or bread! Just 3 measley shrimp. The girls and my friend had small (very small) plain salads, and we drank water. The waiters were watching us with a concerned look on their faces. When we were done with our small "meal", they brought over 2 sundaes for the girls at no charge. I think they knew by the look on our faces that we couldn't afford it. They were very handsome, BTW and I often wondered just what kind of place did we wander into? They were all young and gorgeous. And , no, I don't remember the name of the place LOL!
It was an embarrassing situation, but we laugh about it today wondering if the waiters were gigilos? (sp?)

wow. glad you can relate :). gigilos would be a different story for a different board lol

KikoKea

We were in the Star Wars Launch Bay and met a Fett. I'm not up on SW universe details, so wasn't sure if he was Jango or Boba, so I asked him who he was. Guy said, "I don't think anyone in the galaxy has ever asked me that before." I tried to explain and lifted my arm just as he turned, which whacked his backpack, and he spun around, pointed, and said, "We are done here!" and walked away.
My DH thought it was funny, but I was sort of embarrassed.🙂

PeoplemoverTTA

I’ve got a few 😂

It was winter, and my grandma was wearing an embroidered, light fleece with Winnie the Pooh on it. A photopass photographer was taking our picture and said, “You’ve got Pooh on your shirt!” To which my grandma, not recalling her coat, was aghast and yelled, “I DO NOT!” This went back and forth a few times before she realized what he meant and turned beet red 😂💩

I was in my 20s and taking a short trip with my mom. We were waiting for HoP when a CM got way too cozy, asking where we were staying, what I was doing for dinner and what plans I had that night. Um, I was with my mom and while I was flattered, it was creepy and we were on vacation!

I’m sure I can come up with more 🤣

SirWillow

I’ve got a few 😂

It was winter, and my grandma was wearing an embroidered, light fleece with Winnie the Pooh on it. A photopass photographer was taking our picture and said, “You’ve got Pooh on your shirt!” To which my grandma, not recalling her coat, was aghast and yelled, “I DO NOT!” This went back and forth a few times before she realized what he meant and turned beet red 😂💩

I used to love to do that to guests. Who knows, depending on when that was (2006-2011) that photographer might have even been me, though I would usually only say it once or twice and if someone didn't get it I would just point at their shirt.

It almost always made for a good laugh. Almost always. :p

Club Cooloholic

Not a Disney story but a Uni one, and not really awkward but great. Years ago my wife and I rode the jaws ride and had a boat captain named Voltaire. He was hilarious, very dead pan in delivery and sarcastic, we always remembered him and was sad when Jaws closed. Fast forward about 8 years and 2 kids later and we are walking around the Jurrasic Park Dino Institute area and look and behold out walks Voltaire dressed like a researcher. We told him about how we had remembered him Jaws, he was flattered and picked my daughter to name the hatching dino in the incubator presentation they do.

PeoplemoverTTA

I used to love to do that to guests. Who knows, depending on when that was (2006-2011) that photographer might have even been me, though I would usually only say it once or twice and if someone didn't get it I would just point at their shirt.

It almost always made for a good laugh. Almost always. :p

It was 1999 when my brother was a CP -- but that would have been too funny if it was you!

SirWillow

It was 1999 when my brother was a CP -- but that would have been too funny if it was you!
That would have been well before Photopass then. Kodak still ran the photographers at that point. Photopass was brainstormed until 2004 and didn't really appear in the parks (Epcot, then Studios) until mid 2005.

but yes, that would have been hilarious if it had been me. I used to also tease kids about playing with Pooh when they were eating at Crystal Palace.

PeoplemoverTTA

That would have been well before Photopass then. Kodak still ran the photographers at that point. Photopass was brainstormed until 2004 and didn't really appear in the parks (Epcot, then Studios) until mid 2005.

but yes, that would have been hilarious if it had been me. I used to also tease kids about playing with Pooh when they were eating at Crystal Palace.

Oh good point - I didn't think of that. We must have just asked a cast member to take our picture! It was definitely when my brother was a CP, and that was spring 99.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom