Eternals Sequel Rumored

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Original Poster

2021's Eternals was Marvel Studios' first critical failure and, after it was released in the final months of the pandemic, the movie also struggled to make an impact financially.

While there's no denying it was a little overstuffed (and that it boasted an abysmal villain in Kro), there was a lot about Eternals which worked well. The movie arguably has something of an undeserved bad rap, particularly as it showed a different side of the MCU and set the stage for some exciting future stories.

Unfortunately, Marvel Studios has announced plans to release a follow-up to that big cliffhanger and it's unclear when we'll learn what became of the Eternals taken from Earth by Arishem for judgement after their role in stopping Tiamut's emergence.

The Celestial's remains are expected to factor into Captain America: Brave New World as the source of Adamantium in the MCU, though Kit Harington's Dane Whitman/Black Knight was reportedly dropped from Blade several drafts ago.

Well, we may have some long-overdue good news today because scooper Daniel Richtman is reporting that Eternals 2 is currently in development at Marvel Studios.

Here's the biggest talking point, though: he claims Richard Madden will return as Ikaris! As you'll likely recall, the group's leader was revealed as Eternals' true villain before coming to the realisation he couldn't kill more of his fellow immortals. Instead, Ikaris left Earth and appeared to end his life by flying into the sun (though we were never able to say for sure whether he died or not).

The fact he's returning raises a lot of big questions. Remember, the Eternals were revealed as robot-like beings created by the Celestials to watch over the planets they emerge from; with that in mind, there may be countless versions of "Ikaris" being stored in Arishem's home!

Shortly before last year's San Diego Comic-Con, several trademark filings by Marvel Studios leaked online (with most announced to be on the way during the event). Among them was Celestials: End of Time, suggesting it could be tied to the wider Multiverse Saga and time travel.

Ghost93

I loved Eternals and need to see a sequel. It's the only solo MCU project that ended on a complete cliffhanger and demanded a sequel.

I think now that the complicated lore and character introductions are out of the way, the sequel will be able to tell a more streamlined story and give the characters the depth they need.

My only concern is the financial prospects of the movie, which the first movie was so divisive and didn't make too much money. From an artistic standpoint, I'd hate for Marvel to shoehorn Thor or the Guardians of the Galaxy into the plot just to get butts in the seat, but that might be necessary to do from a business perspective.

_caleb

My only concern is the financial prospects of the movie, which the first movie was so divisive and didn't make too much money. From an artistic standpoint, I'd hate for Marvel to shoehorn Thor or the Guardians of the Galaxy into the plot just to get butts in the seat, but that might be necessary to do from a business perspective.
This was my thought, too! "Are they going to try to sick a bigger name hero in to draw a crowd?"

My (probably bad) idea: Eternals 2 as a DC crossover.

Also, I wonder if how it might work with a lower budget.

Ghost93

I also liked Eternals. It may have actually had better traction being an hour of material longer and an early D+ series.
People complain about Eternals being too long, but I think it's way too short. They crammed in so much lore, story, and characters in a 2.5 hour movie and I think the movie needed more room to breathe to develop it all properly. I think for Chloe Zhao to tell the story she wanted to tell properly, the Eternals either needed to be a two-part movie, a four-hour epic with an intermission, or an extremely expensive Disney Plus series.

Maybe Thanos — either in flashbacks or as a Multiverse variant — could be a factor in the Eternals sequel since his brother Eros is going to be a big part of the film.

Ghost93

If Disney wants to burn money, just send each of us a million dollars and be done with it.
If the Eternals return, I suspect their sequel will heavily tie into one of the upcoming Avengers movies. I don't think general audiences will return to an Eternals sequel unless they are given some kind of indication as to why the Eternals, the Celestials, and the Deviants are essential to the big picture.

While I enjoyed the Eternals movie on its own, I will admit that within the broader context of the MCU the movie seems really pointless at the moment. They introduced a cosmic god-like conflict that would seem to have major ramifications on Earth, yet nothing from the first Eternals movie has been followed up with beyond a few Kingo references. So I think the sequel needs to establish to those not won over by the first movie why they should give a crap about these characters going forward.

Hawkeye_2018

Eternals is my least favorite MCU film. There is no way a sequel happens unless it involves bringing in characters people care about ($$$)

Prince-1

I'll go on a limb and say that we will never see another Eternals movie at this point. They can be incorporated into other projects or maybe into a TV show but not a movie. Marvel will be very cautious to approve any movies that could underperform like The Marvels or Antman 3 did.

_caleb

Eternals is my least favorite MCU film. There is no way a sequel happens unless it involves bringing in characters people care about ($$$)
“Captain Marvel is my least favorite MCU film. There is no way a sequel happened unless if involves bringing in characters people care about ($$$)”

“Any-Man is my least favorite MCU film. There is no way a sequel happened unless if involves bringing in characters people care about ($$$)”

“Dr. Strange is my least favorite MCU film. There is no way a sequel happened unless if involves bringing in characters people care about ($$$)”

Hawkeye_2018

“Captain Marvel is my least favorite MCU film. There is no way a sequel happened unless if involves bringing in characters people care about ($$$)”

“Any-Man is my least favorite MCU film. There is no way a sequel happened unless if involves bringing in characters people care about ($$$)”

“Dr. Strange is my least favorite MCU film. There is no way a sequel happened unless if involves bringing in characters people care about ($$$)”
Not sure I follow your logic here. All three of these characters and franchises are enormously more popular than Eternals

_caleb

Not sure I follow your logic here. All three of these characters and franchises are enormously more popular than Eternals
It just seems like these threads are full of fans who say, "I didn't like this film, so Disney would never create a sequel it" or "This film didn't do great at the box office, so Disney would never do a sequel to it."

I just read that a second season of She-Hulk is getting a green light for Disney+, so I'm not sure huge existing fan bases or proven financial success are driving the decision making here.

Ghost93

It just seems like these threads are full of fans who say, "I didn't like this film, so Disney would never create a sequel it" or "This film didn't do great at the box office, so Disney would never do a sequel to it."

I just read that a second season of She-Hulk is getting a green light for Disney+, so I'm not sure huge existing fan bases or proven financial success are driving the decision making here.
She-Hulk was actually a ratings success. I think the thing is that the type of audience that enjoys She-Hulk is not the average MCU fan.

Phroobar

There is no reason to add the Eternals if we have the X-Men. Disney justed needed a super team and couldn't have the X-Men at the time.

Ghost93

There is no reason to add the Eternals if we have the X-Men. Disney justed needed a super team and couldn't have the X-Men at the time.
I feel introducing the Eternals into the MCU has much more to do with establishing the lore behind the Celestials than the Eternals themselves. I think the Celestials have a big role to play going forward, but I have no idea why at this point.

I suspect that at some point, there is going to be a "Cosmic Avengers" type crossover between some of the Eternals, the remaining members of the Guardians of the Galaxy, Thor, Captain Marvel and possibly the Fantastic Four. They will need to team up to stop the Celestials at some point.

Hawkeye_2018

Until Disney/Marvel can crack the code on doing a film like this on a much lower overall budget, I don't see them taking a a big chance on another Eternals film

Phroobar

I feel introducing the Eternals into the MCU has much more to do with establishing the lore behind the Celestials than the Eternals themselves. I think the Celestials have a big role to play going forward, but I have no idea why at this point.

I suspect that at some point, there is going to be a "Cosmic Avengers" type crossover between some of the Eternals, the remaining members of the Guardians of the Galaxy, Thor, Captain Marvel and possibly the Fantastic Four. They will need to team up to stop the Celestials at some point.
Maybe it is a way to bring in Galactus and Silver Surfer?

_caleb

She-Hulk was actually a ratings success. I think the thing is that the type of audience that enjoys She-Hulk is not the average MCU fan.
Yeah. And I think Disney is trying to foster a diverse fandom of a broad variety of audiences.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
So to beg the question of who would win in this match-up: An Eternal or a half-celestial such as Peter Quill ?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom