ESPN, Fox, and Warner Bros. Discovery to launch joint sports streaming platform

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
I'm not sure what you mean. This service will contain a ton of games - but just the national ones on Disney/FOX/Turner channels. So, college football matches, national NBA/NHL/MLB games on those channels, a bunch of soccer, even some NFL games. It basically relieves the viewer from needing to subscribe to ESPN, FS1, TNT, etc for their sports content.
I understand that. But it sounds like the amount of programming is limited compared to the local sports networks. For example, I mostly care about NJ Devils Hockey and NY Mets, this service would provide little use to me because it would not stream any games from the regional sports networks. Even if I wanted to view a national game on the new service, there is no exclusivity for it, meaning I could go to a variety of other streamers and services, some of which are direct competitors to view the same programming.

doctornick

I understand that. But it sounds like the amount of programming is limited compared to the local sports networks. For example, I mostly care about NJ Devils Hockey and NY Mets, this service would provide little use to me because it would not stream any games from the regional sports networks. Even if I wanted to view a national game on the new service, there is no exclusivity for it, meaning I could go to a variety of other streamers and services, some of which are direct competitors to view the same programming.

That's just saying that this particular service doesn't fit your particular needs, not that the service doesn't have a lot of live sports.

The main target audience for this seems to be the person who is holding on to a cable/satellite service just for the live sports on national channels and this would potentially be cheaper to cut that cord and get a more focused offering without "unnecessary" fluff.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
There will be game content, from sports primarily on ESPN/ABC, FOX, FS1, and TNT. This covers a wide range of sports include live games for NFL, NBA, MLS, MLB, racing, and various college games.

So it may not cover everything and every game, but it does cover a large range of them. And I suspect if its popular other providers will come onboard.

The only way I'd even consider subscribing to this is IF it had every game from all the markets, but that would take away from the subscriptions like NFL Sunday Ticket.

CaptainMickey

I saw that Amazon Prime recently purchased a minority stake in Bally's/Diamond Sports Group. Prime is probably going to get access to all the Regional Sports networks games (Like Devils and Mets games) in the near future that will carry all the local market NHL/MLB/NBA games. Looks like you will probably need the new Amazon Prime PLUS Regional Sports to supplement this new sports service.

SplashJacket

I currently pay $75 a month for YouTube TV. Sports is the ONLY reason. An introductory price of less than $75 means I'm all in, and that's surely what's coming.

Sports are the only reason to keep current cable/live TV alternatives and this seems to actually hit the nail on the head. It runs the risk of the major sports leagues attempting more direct-to-consumer and cutting out the middle-man, but we'll see.

LSLS

Good lord, $50? That's an insane asking price when the bally streaming service failed spectacularly asking for $20. Most sports people only want to see their team anyways. The one that is not the case for is the NFL, and you only need an antenna for those on this service.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Yeah if Hollywood collapses all those movies from the 1950s will suddenly cease to exist.
You assume those movies that you don't personally own will just suddenly become available for free if Hollywood collapses? Think again.

Also even in this fantasy world Hollywood isn't going to collapse anyways, at least not fully. Something will rise out of the ashes, and may just be 10x worse than what you hate about the current Hollywood system. So careful what you wish for....

FutureCEO

No Comcast = no premier league 😔 But we all know what happened last time when Disney was a third in a streaming service. If local sports are included, this would be great to watch the Bruins without Direct TV or anything.

MrPromey

As someone who can think of fewer things that interest me less than professional/college sports, this makes me happy.

Love to see these things bundling into something that makes it all easier to access for people who are interested while not getting bundled into and raising the prices of things I subscribe to.

Feels very win-win.

Drdcm

I’m sure it will cost double what it costs me now. I care about the NHL that’s it.

Why not pay for everything else at the same time just to only watch NHL games? Bundling doesn’t save most people money, it forces people to pay more for things they don’t want or need.

DKampy

You understand I want Hollywood to collapse, right?
What is it about Hollywood that affects you personally…If there is something coming out of Hollywood that offends me… I won’t watch… but you apparently enjoy enough coming out of Hollywood that you pirate

doctornick

Good lord, $50? That's an insane asking price when the bally streaming service failed spectacularly asking for $20. Most sports people only want to see their team anyways. The one that is not the case for is the NFL, and you only need an antenna for those on this service.
you have to think of it more like a sports focused Sling or YouTubeTV (which cost more than that) for comparison than a streaming service like Netflix or D+

doctornick

One question I have is whether the games on broadcast TV (eg stuff carried on ABC or FOX proper) will be able to carried on this service. I know in theory one can use an antenna but for some more rural folks that is not an option.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom