News Escape of the White Rhino

JohnD

It’s because of the animals.

It used to be and may still be part of training at the park.

It is every bathroom at DAK.

It is almost no outside restrooms in the other three parks.

You can tell them over and over that 2 + 2 = 4 but they’ll argue until they are blue in the face that the answer is 5.

626Stitch626

So we had just started the Kilimanjaro Safari tour when we were stopped and rerouted backstage. They unloaded us in a parking lot and walked us back into the park. Told us they have a new, 5000 lb. white rhino that arrived here yesterday and is not familiar with its new surroundings and escaped. I don’t post here, but thought you might be interested.

We did the "up close with Rhino's Tour" on 12/12. He's a new male they brought in for breeding and they said it was his first day being out on the Savannah with the girls and no barrier between them. So just getting used to all the new things he's seeing.

HMFan999

I have no first hand knowledge of AK protocols, but I would imagine they operate like most zoos. The animal handlers are usually trained to also be the rapid response team in the event of an escape. Since they work with the animals on a daily basis they are more likely to be successful in recapturing the animal. Most zoos also maintain a means to terminate an escaped animal if it becomes absolutely necessary for guest safety, though I would not be surprised if Disney lets that duty fall to the sheriff's office since their response time would likely be comparable to the RRT. For your consideration, I present an image of a zoo performing a zebra containment drill:
main_900.jpg

bcoachable

I don't know, but I bet every animal that could pose a threat is on a large does of "Chillax" meds to prevent any major event from happening.... even if they did manage to make his or her way into the park, thus making the doors a mute point...
and I can confirm that stuffing guests inside bathrooms in the event of an animal mishap has been part of the training recently btw.

HMFan999

Couldn't they just tranquilize it instead?
Tranquilizing is often used in these situations, but it's a much more complicated process than they show in movies. They have to prepare an exact dose based on the animal and its weight. Too little and nothing happens, too much and you could kill the animal. It also takes a decent amount of time to take effect once the animal has been hit with the dart. If the animal is presenting a true threat and time is of the essence, lethal force may be the only solution.

Last edited:

redsfan4life

You realize that AK is the only park where the bathrooms have doors on the off chance people have to go inside and barricade themselves from an escaped animal. (Or possibly the reverse to barricade an animal in the bathroom).
I never thought about that until you brought it up but yes I can not think of another restroom in the parks that have doors

JoeCamel

I have no first hand knowledge of AK protocols, but I would imagine they operate like most zoos. The animal handlers are usually trained to also be the rapid response team in the event of an escape. Since they work with the animals on a daily basis they are more likely to be successful in recapturing the animal. Most zoos also maintain a means to terminate an escaped animal if it becomes absolutely necessary for guest safety, though I would not be surprised if Disney lets that duty fall to the sheriff's office since their response time would likely be comparable to the RRT. For your consideration, I present an image of a zoo performing a zebra containment drill:
View attachment 334759
Man, I don't want to be the one in the suit when the lion escapes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom