News Escape of the White Rhino

Minthorne

Cheetahs are on the weaker side of the big cats. If it had been a tiger, lion, or jaguar, the rhinos would have more reason to be worried.

Not to bring politics into it, but I've never really understood people who hate zoos because the animals are confined. The wild is far, far more brutal to animals, living in a zoo is luxurious by comparison. Assuming the zoo treats the animals right.

On the Up Close with Rhinos tour in November they told us that while White Rhinos are technically prey, they have no natural predators other than man and that only a young rhino is really at any danger from a non human predator.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
And what we really hear...:hilarious:

What we really see.

maxresdefault.jpg

KBLovedDisney

I didn’t say you were.

I’m saying that Disney evacuating the entire park would be an overreaction and not the safest way to deal with the situation.
Ah. My bad.

Yeah, that would possibly cause more chaos and stupidity with people trying to get out of the park, and those who stay behind because they would want be idiots and vlog an escaped Rhino.

But are we 100% certain that the fences they have will keep in a predatorial rhino?

Last edited:

Skibum1970

Ah.

Yeah, that would possibly cause more chaos and stupidity with people trying to get out of the park, and those who stay behind because they would want be idiots and vlog an escaped Rhino.

But are we 100% certain that the fences they have will keep in a predatorial rhino?

Not sure that you could call a rhino "predatory" in nature. From what I understand, rhinos charge because they have poor eyesight. So, they charge due to sound or smell of something unfamiliar. Regarding the fencing, no it wouldn't stop a rhino as they weigh so much that it would take an extremely strong fence to slow one down. However, I think that Disney uses moats as well which would stop a rhino. The biggest thing is the interaction with the safari trucks. If not used to it, the rhino would definitely take on the truck.

peter11435

Ah.

The rhino wasn’t predatorial. More scared than anything else.

Nothing is ever 100% certain. But they have a system of primary, secondary, and tertiary bourdries to contain the animal and escalating processes and procedures to handle the situation when any of them are breached.

tallica

Just to clarify the white rhino did not escape, he/she crossed over into the first part of the savanna through the narrow rumble grated passage just passed the flamingos. White rhinos are on exhibit in the second half of the savanna along with zebra, water buck and ostrich. The rogue rhino crossed over into the area that contains the wildebeest, giraffe, and more. so essentially the rhino was in unfamiliar territory surrounded by a bunch of zoo animals that have lived without rhinos for probably their entire lives at Disney. Thus chaos ensued and they had to close the safari.

Last edited:

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
It’s actually not exactly made up. The other three parks all feature doorless bathrooms. Animal Kingdom is the only park where guest bathrooms have doors. The potential for an animal escape is exactly why.
I knew that. 👍

Stumbled upon it in a guide book or website years ago. I get a kick out of pointing it out to my travelling companions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom