News Escape of the White Rhino

calicommando

Original Poster
So we had just started the Kilimanjaro Safari tour when we were stopped and rerouted backstage. They unloaded us in a parking lot and walked us back into the park. Told us they have a new, 5000 lb. white rhino that arrived here yesterday and is not familiar with its new surroundings and escaped. I don’t post here, but thought you might be interested.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
It’s not uncommon for an animal to access an area beyond its primary boundaries. There are secondary and tertiary barriers. The park will not need to be evac’d they will just briefly close the safari while animal programs gets them back where they belong.
1544715650807.png

Rteetz

I've heard stories of Cheetah's getting out of their area and approaching the Rhinos. The rhinos naturally became aggressive towards the cheetahs and it was the cheetah that had to be "rescued".
Kind of interesting considering their backstage housing is connected or right next to each other.

tallica

My daughter was riding when it happened. The rhino was running around the savanna spooking the other animals. Springbock were pronking, the wildebeest were running, and the giraffe were actively trying to find cover. But, the Sable antelope seemed like they could not have cared less. They were stopped for a while then the driver was told to continue. They finished the rest of the safari along the normal route. After they got done it was closed for an extended period. She really enjoyed the chaos.:devilish:

Stripes

I've heard stories of Cheetah's getting out of their area and approaching the Rhinos. The rhinos naturally became aggressive towards the cheetahs and it was the cheetah that had to be "rescued".
Cheetahs are on the weaker side of the big cats. If it had been a tiger, lion, or jaguar, the rhinos would have more reason to be worried.

Not to bring politics into it, but I've never really understood people who hate zoos because the animals are confined. The wild is far, far more brutal to animals, living in a zoo is luxurious by comparison. Assuming the zoo treats the animals right.

Johnny Three-hats

Cheetahs are on the weaker side of the big cats. If it had been a tiger, lion, or jaguar, the rhinos would have more reason to be worried.

Not to bring politics into it, but I've never really understood people who hate zoos because the animals are confined. The wild is far, far more brutal to animals, living in a zoo is luxurious by comparison. Assuming the zoo treats the animals right.
Even a tiger probably wouldn't want to mess with a rhino in normal circumstances. It could get trampled and crushed or otherwise severely injured too, even if it's more resilient than a cheetah. Big cats are pick on your own size type animals, and I can imagine even having to be around rhinos or hippos or similar big herbivores could be stressful, for all animals involved.

I don't want to feed into derailment (inevitable as that can be), but to briefly explain the perspective of people who don't like confinement in as non-political, non-partisan a way as possible, life in the wild is brutal, yes, however, those animals have evolved for hundreds of thousands of years to live and die that way. To some, it can be taken as analogous to a situation where a person is given food, water, various sources of stimulation, even other captive persons, but no real choices in their life. That situation can seem like luxury, but does it make up for a loss of freedom and agency in one's own life? Not my own opinions, not entirely anyway, just giving some perspective. I generally like zoos myself, but I could understand why some people might be uncomfortable with them as a whole.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom