Epcot's Outpost expands with addition of new kiosk featuring recycled park guide maps

_Scar

O.K., I'm no tree hugger...nor am I part of this whole new "green" fad, but what is the carbon footprint involved with this?

Isn't it kind of more than a "fad" if it's vital to our planet? You don't have to be a "tree hugger" to recycle a little. :brick:

If that is the case...how about giving some work to the locals or the millions of Americans out of work.

Really?

Really?

.... is this a troll?

Disneygirl91395

Book of Mormon gotta love it

Uganda Where is that?

Africa

Oh boy...like Lion King :D :ROFLOL:

You, sir, just made my day. :D

I like the idea. Yes the shipping back and fourth is a little flawed, but it's still giving millions of Africans work. Plus the beads look cool, I'll probably buy one on my trip this month.

BrerFrog

With that addition there is no way somebody could argue that the Outpost should be removed for a new pavilion! :lookaroun

MDenham

I like the idea. Yes the shipping back and fourth is a little flawed, but it's still giving dozens of Africans work. Plus the beads look cool, I'll probably buy one on my trip this month.
Unfortunately, fixed for something closer to an accurate figure (I personally suspect somewhere in the 200-350 range; more likely it'd be on the order of one or two thousand and I'm just being pessimistic again).

DisneySooner

My wife bought a necklace there and she loves it. We think it's cool that it is made of recycled maps. She gets to wear a part of Disney!!!

askmike1

Anyone who would look at this product and think about a carbon footprint has to be a tree hugger at the very least. Wow. Seriously, when recycling is seen as anti-environment I think it is time to call out greenies for what they really are. It becomes clearer everyday.

Well lets use an analogy then... it's like eating broccoli, but covering that broccoli in a stick of butter and a few slices of bacon and cheese. Sure, eating broccoli is nutritious... but you are kind of cancelling any nutritional value out with the load of stuff on top of it.

That said, they aren't going for simply the green effect here, they are also going for authenticity, which is why they are sending this back to the home country for their work, so I understand it. (And don't worry about American jobs, Disney has been creating thousands of new jobs here in the past few years and looks to be creating thousands more within the next few years). And I also imagine these park maps were done in bulk (so its not like they are shipping them every week)... heck, they may have only done one shipment so far (given the mass amounts of old park maps I know they have).

I like the idea. Yes the shipping back and fourth is a little flawed, but it's still giving millions of Africans work. Plus the beads look cool, I'll probably buy one on my trip this month.

Glad I could make your day, when you mentioned Book of Mormon that's all I could think of, that and I have maggots in my scrotum :lol:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
In this particular case the word "recycled" is being used as nothing more than a marketing term. It is not unlike the now popular "organic" products or the blast from the past "all natural". All have list of criteria they must meet to carry the label but their true meaning after that is ambiguous at best.

MerlinTheGoat

Recycling and becoming energy efficient has transcended politics by now (at least for sensible people, i'm sure plenty of people still just go with it because they're mindless drones). Shame some people feel that recycling or using energy efficient appliances and such automatically means "greenies" support politicians they happen to have a vendetta against (i'm not a fan of plenty of politicians that i happen to share goals or practices with). I guess you could call me a "greenie" since i recycle and go out of my way not to waste energy, but i have a distaste for politics in general (all sides, no special treatment for any party). I just do it because it makes sense not to be wasteful (common sense and all that). Because the simple fact is that there's no downside whatsoever to becoming more environmentally conscious. Whether you think the world is coming to an end or not (which i definitely don't), wastefulness and a disregard for the environment are always foolish practices. Nothing political about wanting a cleaner earth IMO. The politics comes in with the pros and cons of environmental products, but that's another story. The want to not be wasteful is not what i'd consider a political agenda if it's a purely personal thing and not fueled by a following for political leaders.:rolleyes:

As it is, i don't really know what to think about this unless the benefits outweigh the downsides. Recycling is great, but are there consequences to it in this case? As in, are they effectively defeating the purpose of recycling via the shipping process. If the answer to that is yes, then it's kind of useless to be doing this. Good to hear they're supporting jobs in Uganda at least though.

@Master Yoda-

Organic in regards to food is a pretty straightforward term with a clear meaning: food grown without synthetic substances or processes. This includes chemical pesticides, chemical fertilizers, irradiation, gmo's, industrial solvents, or chemical food additives. It's pretty much all-encompassing. It CAN be a label slapped on to sell products, but i'd hardly call it ambiguous. It's pretty clear what it means in fact. What do you mean by that? All natural is the more ambiguous term.

Recycled as a term is a loaded statement because of the reasons stated in this thread. At what point does the purpose behind recycling become effectively negated by the process by which it was done? That's the question here i suppose. And i don't think anyone knows the answer.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Recycling and becoming energy efficient has transcended politics by now (at least for sensible people, i'm sure plenty of people still just go with it because they're mindless drones). Shame some people feel that recycling or using energy efficient appliances and such automatically means "greenies" support politicians they happen to have a vendetta against (i'm not a fan of plenty of politicians that i happen to share goals or practices with). I guess you could call me a "greenie" since i recycle and go out of my way not to waste energy, but i have a distaste for politics in general (all sides, no special treatment for any party). I just do it because it makes sense not to be wasteful (common sense and all that). Because the simple fact is that there's no downside whatsoever to becoming more environmentally conscious. Whether you think the world is coming to an end or not (which i definitely don't), wastefulness and a disregard for the environment are always foolish practices. Nothing political about wanting a cleaner earth IMO. The politics comes in with the pros and cons of environmental products, but that's another story. The want to not be wasteful is not what i'd consider a political agenda if it's a purely personal thing and not fueled by a following for political leaders.:rolleyes:

As it is, i don't really know what to think about this unless the benefits outweigh the downsides. Recycling is great, but are there consequences to it in this case? As in, are they effectively defeating the purpose of recycling via the shipping process. If the answer to that is yes, then it's kind of useless to be doing this. Good to hear they're supporting jobs in Uganda at least though.

@Master Yoda-

Organic in regards to food is a pretty straightforward term with a clear meaning: food grown without synthetic substances or processes. This includes chemical pesticides, chemical fertilizers, irradiation, gmo's, industrial solvents, or chemical food additives. It's pretty much all-encompassing. It CAN be a label slapped on to sell products, but i'd hardly call it ambiguous. It's pretty clear what it means in fact. What do you mean by that? All natural is the more ambiguous term.

Recycled as a term is a loaded statement because of the reasons stated in this thread. At what point does the purpose behind recycling become effectively negated by the process by which it was done? That's the question here i suppose. And i don't think anyone knows the answer.
The ambiguous part is are they better. Marketing would suggest that recycled, all natural, organic, etc are. The data however tends to not be all that clear and rarely to never paints with the broad "everything that is natural is better" brush that add writers like to imply.

MerlinTheGoat

The ambiguous part is are they better. Marketing would suggest that recycled, all natural, organic, etc are. The data however tends to not be all that clear and rarely to never paints with the broad "everything that is natural is better" brush that add writers like to imply.

Ah i see what you are saying. Thanks for clearing that up. :)

A big issue with it is that the long term effects of the non-organic substances cannot be tested under short-term evaluation. And due to this, the details on what is better or worse will remain mostly unknown.

Recycling at least is generally accepted as a good practice. You could probably make an argument against it, but i probably wouldn't bother listening at this time unless it was suddenly found to be causing some sort of major peril (of which it apparently isn't). It's the way you go about the process of recycling that can raise eyebrows (as with this story about Disney).

dreamfinder

I could have sworn I saw a lower quality version of this kiosk when I was there in February. Didn't seem as permanent to me, but sold the same stuff.

To those who are suggesting that US citizens be offered the job before those in Uganda, I highly doubt anyone in the US would be willing to work legally for those wages. The numbers from some of the aid organizations that use these to help employ locals and raise funds estimate about 40% of the product cost goes to the craftsperson. That is the wholesale cost, which is about half of what Disney is charging. So maybe a dollar or two per bracelet. Having never made these beeds myself, I can't speak to how long it takes to make them, but they would need to make at least 6 or so an hour to make minimum wage, and 10 or so to make a living wage in the US. In Uganda, that same dollar is more than 44% of the country makes in a DAY. So these women can support their families, start other businesses, etc a fraction of what it would cost in the US. That whole give a man a fish, feed him for a day, teach a man to fish, feed him for his life concept. Programs such as this provide aid, while providing a way for the people to become independent and not need that aid to survive.

I do find it interesting that the same people who are questioning the carbon footprint of an extra cargo container on a freight ship are ones that are very likely to take a plane trip to WDW at least once a year.

According to http://timeforchange.org/co2-emissions-shipping-goods
The following table shows the amount of CO2 (in grams) emitted per metric ton of freight and per km of transportation:
Air plane (air cargo), average Cargo B747
500 g
Modern lorry or truck
60 to 150 g
Modern train
30 to 100 g
Modern ship (sea freight)
10 to 40 g
Airship (Zeppelin, Cargolifter ) as planned
55 g

So flying is over 10x worse than slow freighter. Admittedly, getting them to/from Uganda will require trucks at some point, but keep those numbers in mind.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Ah i see what you are saying. Thanks for clearing that up. :)

A big issue with it is that the long term effects of the non-organic substances cannot be tested under short-term evaluation. And due to this, the details on what is better or worse will remain mostly unknown.

Recycling at least is generally accepted as a good practice. You could probably make an argument against it, but i probably wouldn't bother listening at this time unless it was suddenly found to be causing some sort of major peril (of which it apparently isn't). It's the way you go about the process of recycling that can raise eyebrows (as with this story about Disney).
Recycling is one of those things that gets painted with the broad brush I spoke with. As a general rule using something more than once is good thing but like with most things the devil is in the details and you have to look at the entire process not just one element of it. When it comes to metals and glass the data is as clear as it can be. Recycling is better in nearly every aspect. The water starts to get a bit muddier when it comes to plastics. Recycling is better than the land fill option but due to so many different formulations of plastics and the very nature of them it is not so easy to simply turn an old plastic bottle into a new one. When it comes to paper it is hard to know what to think. Depending on whose data you use turning old paper into new paper vs. starting from wood pulp is better in one area but worse in another.

However, like we have been saying, most people do not think about that. They see it using cave man logic. Recycling good, not recycling bad. They guys writing the add copy know this and pray on that caveman logic and insert environmental buss words wherever they can. It is great for sales, not so much for education and fixing the worlds problems.

MissM

I do find it interesting that the same people who are questioning the carbon footprint of an extra cargo container on a freight ship are ones that are very likely to take a plane trip to WDW at least once a year.
I last flew when I was 13. I am now 34. Try not to assume things about people.

Mammymouse

Just curious - the article says the beads are water resistant, so is this really non-recyclable paper they are using or is it treated after the beads are made out of it?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Just curious - the article says the beads are water resistant, so is this really non-recyclable paper they are using or is it treated after the beads are made out of it?

They use the guidemaps, recycle them, give them some kind of waterproof coating.

dreamfinder

I last flew when I was 13. I am now 34. Try not to assume things about people.

In which case I do not eat crow (vegetarian) but I apologize for including you and any others that do not have to fly to WDW in that group. It was more general commentary on the way how people tend to focus on one thing as bad, completely overlooking the other choices that they make that may in fact be worse.

MickeyPeace

Hey everybody. Beads. We were talking about beads. Over here at the kiosk.

Politics aside, this is the kind of merchandise I want to see more of in World Showcase.

Instead of just t shirts with the name of a country or plastic toys, I would like to see more merchandise made by citizens of whatever pavilion is being represented.

It adds a level of authenticity to the pavilion.

The Mexico pavilion sells the hand crafted wooden animals. It is probably my favorite pavilion because of the amount of detail, theme and integrity.

Morocco and Japan also do a great job in this area.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom